Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Surf Champ M relay (resized).JPG
Surf Champ D relay (resized).JPG
#1 1 year ago

Working on a 1976 Gottleib Surf champ and am encountering difficulty with 2 things.

1) 500 points is not scoring with consistency. I have adjusted and cleaned the 100 point switch on the "brain" (main computer) of the game a dozen ways. I am still not consistently getting 500 points from the game. I am wary of messing with the brain as I know that many things are interconnected with each 1/3rd rotation.

2) After fixing other problems, starting a new game, Surf Champ will not sense or kick a ball out of of the outhole and into the shooter lane. Tripping the outhole kicker relay does nothing. The saucer at the top of the pf will not sense the ball in the saucer either, but it will kick the ball out when the upper pf saucer relay is tripped.

I do have both schematics for the game. What should I focus on from here? If you have any other questions for me about this game and diagnostic processes, let me know.

Thank you.

-c2s

#2 1 year ago

For your first problem, if you're not getting consistent 500 pts, I probably watch the D (500 point) relay and see if it relaxes before you've gotten all 500 points. There are 2 circuits involved, this one below (highlighted in red) that locks the D relay on until the Motor 2B switch opens, to relax the relay. But the Motor 2B switch shouldn't open until late in the score motor's cycle. Make sure that Motor 2B switch isn't opening early and that D switch is clean and making good contact.

Surf Champ D relay (resized).JPGSurf Champ D relay (resized).JPG

This next part of the circuit (again in red below) actually fires the 100 point relay (M) 5 times. The pulses come from a Motor 1A switch that should open and close 5 times for each 1/3 revolution of the score reel. The D switch should allow those 5 pulses to get through to the M relay. Make sure those 2 switches (the one on the D relay and the Motor 1A switch) are clean and gapped correctly.

Surf Champ M relay (resized).JPGSurf Champ M relay (resized).JPG

Make sure your score reels are moving "snappily" from one number to the next also, so you know you're not having a mechanical issue there.

Don't be too afraid of the "brain" (score motor). Just be careful and adjust one switch at a time. Sometimes getting to the right switch can be a little bit of a pain, but you can almost always get in there where you need to.

This would be a problem where having a 25V bulb tester would come in handy. You could hook it up in various places to see if you're getting 5 pulses at those points.

I've enjoyed your machine reviews, by the way!

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from paulace:

For your first problem, if you're not getting consistent 500 pts, I probably watch the D (500 point) relay and see if it relaxes before you've gotten all 500 points. There are 2 circuits involved, this one below (highlighted in red) that locks the D relay on until the Motor 2B switch opens, to relax the relay. But the Motor 2B switch shouldn't open until late in the score motor's cycle. Make sure that Motor 2B switch isn't opening early and that D switch is clean and making good contact.
[quoted image]
This next part of the circuit (again in red below) actually fires the 100 point relay (M) 5 times. The pulses come from a Motor 1A switch that should open and close 5 times for each 1/3 revolution of the score reel. The D switch should allow those 5 pulses to get through to the M relay. Make sure those 2 switches (the one on the D relay and the Motor 1A switch) are clean and gapped correctly.
[quoted image]
Make sure your score reels are moving "snappily" from one number to the next also, so you know you're not having a mechanical issue there.
Don't be too afraid of the "brain" (score motor). Just be careful and adjust one switch at a time. Sometimes getting to the right switch can be a little bit of a pain, but you can almost always get in there where you need to.
This would be a problem where having a 25V bulb tester would come in handy. You could hook it up in various places to see if you're getting 5 pulses at those points.
I've enjoyed your machine reviews, by the way!

Where did you get this schematic? It looks crisp. I have an original and it is nowhere near that crisp.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/surfer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.