Looking for some guidance on a recent problem with my Surf 'n Safari (Gotttlieb System 3)...The VUK at the back of the playfield has stopped firing (no issues previously). I was playing it the other night and a ball got locked in it, bu wouldn't kick out and, after a few seconds, the "Ball Stuck Call Service Person" message came up on the display.
I *think* I've narrowed it down to needing to replace the coil itself, but I'm a newbie and would like to confirm. Here's some more detail:
- I can freely move the plunger by hand, so don't think there's a mechanical problem
- The switch on the upkicker tests fine
- The coil does not fire even in the Relay and Solenoid test mode
- The fuse is good (checked with DMM, and the other up-kicker is on the same fuse and still works)
- Checked for voltage with my DMM...other coils in the machine have ~67 volts DC at both lugs. This coil has ~67 volts at one lug, but only ~25 at the other.
I think all of this is pointing to needing to replace the coil. Anything else that I should look at before doing so (and anything I can do to prevent a replacement coil from dying, too -- not sure if this is common?)
One last thing, the coil in VUK is a A-16570, but the manual calls for A-5195. Are these OK to substitute for each other?