• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpeg
IMG_3631 (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

Looking for some guidance on a recent problem with my Surf 'n Safari (Gotttlieb System 3)...The VUK at the back of the playfield has stopped firing (no issues previously). I was playing it the other night and a ball got locked in it, bu wouldn't kick out and, after a few seconds, the "Ball Stuck Call Service Person" message came up on the display.

I *think* I've narrowed it down to needing to replace the coil itself, but I'm a newbie and would like to confirm. Here's some more detail:
- I can freely move the plunger by hand, so don't think there's a mechanical problem
- The switch on the upkicker tests fine
- The coil does not fire even in the Relay and Solenoid test mode
- The fuse is good (checked with DMM, and the other up-kicker is on the same fuse and still works)
- Checked for voltage with my DMM...other coils in the machine have ~67 volts DC at both lugs. This coil has ~67 volts at one lug, but only ~25 at the other.

I think all of this is pointing to needing to replace the coil. Anything else that I should look at before doing so (and anything I can do to prevent a replacement coil from dying, too -- not sure if this is common?)

One last thing, the coil in VUK is a A-16570, but the manual calls for A-5195. Are these OK to substitute for each other?

Thanks!

#2 7 years ago

Have you tried grounding the coil at the smaller ground wire to see whether or not it fires?

#3 7 years ago

Thanks for the reply. I haven't tried that. Did a quick google search and not sure exactly how to do it. Looking at the coil, I can't even see that one wire is smaller than the other.

Quoted from lb1:

Have you tried grounding the coil at the smaller ground wire to see whether or not it fires?

IMG_3631 (resized).JPGIMG_3631 (resized).JPG

#4 7 years ago

If you have the manual, look at the coils summary page and find the entry for the VUK. It will show the color coding for the + voltage and the ground. One has to be white orange the other grey orange. Once you have located the ground use a wire with some alligator clips to connect the ground wire to say the lock bar which is grounded. If the VUK coil fires, your problem isn't the voltage at the coil.

Post a picture of the coil page if you need more guidance.

#5 7 years ago

I love Surf'n Safari. There was one in my college cafeteria I used to play all the time...
Great job on the restoration!

#6 7 years ago

lb1 Thanks for the help, and the kind words on the restoration. It is a fun game and a fun project.

I ended up pulling out the VUK last night. I can buy a replacement coil locally, so planning to do so this week. Out of curiousity, though, I did take a picture of (what I think is) the page you mentioned. It's labelled top upkicker on this diagram. Could you help me decipher how to read the wire colors on this?

Thanks again.
image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from CrocRod:

lb1 Thanks for the help, and the kind words on the restoration. It is a fun game and a fun project.
I ended up pulling out the VUK last night. I can buy a replacement coil locally, so planning to do so this week. Out of curiousity, though, I did take a picture of (what I think is) the page you mentioned. It's labelled top upkicker on this diagram. Could you help me decipher how to read the wire colors on this?
Thanks again.

Here is how I read this. This is the upkicker "at the back of the playfield", which means the top in the diagram. The color coding for the power is 888 so that's gray. The ground / driver side is 311 so that's orange. You should verify that the band of the diode is on the power side. Ground the orange wire and see if VUK fires.

Since the two VUK's have the same coil, you can measure the resistance of both and compare. It will tell you is your problem comes from the coil.

#8 7 years ago

Thanks! Will let you know how it goes. Appreciate your help.

#9 7 years ago

Good news! Replacing the coil fixed the problem. Not sure if this contributed to the coil failing in the first place, but I noticed that the manual calls for an A-5195 coil (and this is what I put in it now), but there was an A-16570 coil installed in it.

In any case, so far so good and I'm back up and running. Thanks for the help in deciphering the wiring diagram; I appreciate it and will put that knowledge to good use next time something breaks down (hopefully not too soon!)

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/surf-n-safari-vertical-up-kicker-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.