Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Jeffh141
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

I just purchased my first pinball machine, a 1991 Gottlieb Surf ‘n Safari and I have 3 questions if anyone can assist:

1. All of the flasher bulbs in the back glass are not working.

2. The spinner is sitting horizontal so the ball just rolls under it without spinning it. I can spin it with my finger but it’s natural state of rest is horizontal.

3. High scores are not saved. When I turn off the machine there are no high scores remaining. It has the soldered in button battery.

Thanks.

#2 2 years ago
Quoted from Jeffh141:

1. All of the flasher bulbs in the back glass are not working

If its all of them, then its a fuse. Whenever i get a machine, i buy or download the manual. I then replace every fuse double checking the value of what i pulled out against manual. You would be surprised after 30 years how this can go wrong.
People are generally lazy and dont look, or replace a blown fuse with proper one.
2. Spinner, pull it out and bend the little side tabs so they are up a little looking dead on. This will help gravity find home on spinner.
3. That battery will need replacing, its 30 yeats old too.
Congrats on first game, ive owned this one. Miss it, but sold it to Banning Pinball museum, so at least i get to visit it.
Welcome to pinside!
See you later gator.

#3 2 years ago

Thank you for the response. I looked at every fuse and they all looked unbroken but I will check that. I will have to find a video on removing the spinner and the battery. In reading over battery info it sounded like the game would not even come on with a dead battery but that must not be accurate.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/surf-n-safari-need-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.