Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0Surf-Champ-Work-19 (resized).jpg
0Surf-Champ-Work-17 (resized).jpg
000-Work-16 (resized).jpg
surf2 (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

My Surf Champ works perfectly except for one strange problem. When trying to start a one-player game, the coin unit resets as it is supposed to, but then the other coin unit solenoid advances to the two-player position. Pressing the start button again adds players three and four as expected.

If my reading of the start-up sequence and schematics is correct, the U relay should be de-energizing once the AX relay energizes, but that is not the case. I blocked the switch between AX and U, but U stays energized throughout the start-up process, until the end of the first ball. U must be getting a current from some other relay, perhaps H or the 1B motor switch.

Any help would be much appreciated!

#2 7 years ago

Hi. do you have schematics?
also, does that relay stay energized if you unplug the power?

#3 7 years ago

Hi Doctor,

I will attach a portion of the schematics. The U relay definitely drives the coin unit solenoid. I just can't figure out what is powering the U relay and why. The U relay disengages when power is turned off, and it also disengages after the first ball has drained.

Thanks in advance for your help.

surf2 (resized).jpgsurf2 (resized).jpg

#4 7 years ago

surf2 (resized).jpgsurf2 (resized).jpg

#5 7 years ago

Hi Hammond.
chk these...ax relay, motor 1B, relays D,E,F?, C, and look close at H, all these are in front of the U relay.
I can't see everything, very busy circuit there

#6 7 years ago

I'm thinking that the P add-player unit relay may be the problem. I've noticed that it never closes during the start-up cycle. Adding another player also doesn't activate the P relay.

#7 7 years ago

Hi Hammond2
welcome to pinside. Your U-First-Ball-Relay acts strange. Yes, when You toggle-on the pin the U-Relay must pull-in and stays pulling. When You start a game the U-Relay must let go. Some more stuff is happening - the ball is kicked out as "Player-1-Ball-1". This situation is shown on the bottom of the JPG - the "Coil on U-Relay" has NO connection - it can NOT pull. At this time the R-Hold-Relay MUST pull, the H-Tilt-Hold-Relay MUST pull. Question: Do these two relays steady pull at this time in Your pin ?

Your U-Relay does faulty pull at this time - it may have a fault "along green wiring" and / or "along red wiring". When troubleshooting I sometimes sneak-in a fault into the pin --- and this "sneaked-in fault" gives me information to "original problem".
Toggle-off the pin - the U-Relay does not pull. A short wire runs from "Coil on U-Relay" to "Switch mounted on the relay" This is the switch I marked in the JPG with a "star". Look at the switch - all good (not only contact points - also where the wires are soldered-on) ? Sneak-in a stripe of paper in-between the contact-points --- the switch can move mechanically but the stripe of paper hinders "electrical contact". Toggle-on the pin - the U-Relay should pull-in and stay pulling - AAA means Yes, BBB means No.
Then start a new game - CCC: The U-Relay let go --- or --- DDD: The U-Relay stays pulling. I am not interested in OTHER (maybe strange) behavior of the pin.

I hope for "You have AAA and CCC". If You have BBB: A fault in green wiring", If You have "AAA and DDD": A fault in red wiring --- what do You have ? (After the test You may take-out the sneaked-in stripe of paper --- we have sneaked-in a fault (stripe of paper) and the pin has given a result.) Greetings Rolf

000-Work-16 (resized).jpg000-Work-16 (resized).jpg

#8 7 years ago

Hi Rolf,

Thanks so much for your help. Everything in your list above seems to be working:

1. When game is toggled on, the U relay pulls and stays pulled until the game goes through the start cycle.
2. Once the first ball is kicked out, both the H and R relays are pulling.
3. When I try the blocked switch test, my results are AAA and CCC.

The add-coin-unit coil always fires a split second before the U relay lets go. It almost seems like a timing issue, which makes me think it may be a motor switch issue.

Thanks!

#9 7 years ago

Hi Hammond2
great - the "sneaked-in stripe of paper" test showed: post-7, JPG on the bottom: We do NOT have a fault on "green wiring".

So when You start a new game WITHOUT the stripe of paper: The "green wiring is the same (paper or not paper) - the green wiring is good --- IF (if) You start a new game and the U-Relay does faulty pull and pull: The fault (maybe one of the faults) must be in the "red wiring" - maybe the "Switch on U-Relay" (can You guarantee ? "Switch is open when the relay is not pulling" ?) - maybe the "Switch on AX-Relay***" - maybe the "Score-Motor-Switch-1B***".

Check the switch in question "Switch on AX-Relay***" - in Your schematics (also shown in post-4) You see "one wire on this switch has color-GR-WH Green-White" - to find the color of the other wire on that switch: Go in Your schematics right - a bit up then right - down, right, down - do You see "color RED-WHITE" mentioned on schematics-I-22 (?) - look for this switch with these wire-colors - the Switch on AX-Relay - have the pin toggled-off and investigate - question: Does this switch truely close ? DOES IT TRUELY OPEN ? (I hope for "This switch on AX-Relay NEVER opens).

"Switch SCM-1B***" has the SAME wire-colors - it is hard to get at - this switch MUST open when actuated.

We MUST have at the end of the Start-up: R-Relay steady pulling, H-Relay steady pulling, U-Relay NOT pulling. Greetings Rolf

#10 7 years ago

Hi Hammond2
by now we do not really know "DOES the AX-Relay functions correct ?". It is an "un-loved" Interlock-Type of relay. Here http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index.htm then here http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#axrelayvideo "Clay" made an excellent video - it is about ADJUSTING such an AX-Relay. Want to "just look at the video" ?

I also have an Surf Champ - my AX-Relay functions correct --- when it is mounted - or when I hold it in the position "same as beeing mounted". It does NOT functions correct when I take it out and turn it 90 degrees and lay it on the bottom panel. I do NOT work on my AX-Relay as its functions correct when mounted. I very much dislike "working on such AX-Relays" - I very much dislike "working on Score-Motor-Switches". Thats the reason I first look all other places hoping "fault is on other place" --- when I am 100% sure: Fault IS on AX-Relay / Score-Motor-Switch --- well, I then work on them. Greetings Rolf

#11 7 years ago

Thanks for the ideas.

The AX relay appears to be functioning perfectly. I am going to re-verify that the 1B switch (a real pain to access) is disengaging correctly. I'm also going to take a closer look at the coin stepper unit itself.

#12 7 years ago

Hi Hammond2
something "general": When troubleshooting we often need the Score-Motor to make a turn (means a turn of 120 degrees, a third of a revolution). We can grab the "turntable" on the Score-Motor and gently turn a bit by hand in the direction "normal turning" - the Score-Motor is nice and makes the turn. (((We also could establish "Jumper-Wire with an mounted doorbell-pushbutton as shown in the JPG (drawn in color red).

You made the test "sneaked-in stripe of paper in switch on U-Relay". Much alike is another such test --- "stripe of paper sneaked-in in Switch on AX-Relay".

IF (if, if) You have found the Switch on AX-Relay (by the color of wires) and IF (if, if) You can guarantee: NO DROP of solder on the side where the wires are soldered-on / NO BENT short stud, solder-lug on switchblade --- means: When You sneak-in a stripe of paper into that switch THEN the switch IS OPEN: You can do a test.

Toggle-off the pin - sneak-in a stripe of paper in between the contact-points on Switch on AX-Relay. Toggle-on - the U-Relay pulls-in and stays pulling. You then start a game - the Motor MUST turn (otherwise YOU must make the motor do a turn) --- EEE: U-Relay stays pulling --- or --- FFF: U-Relay quits pulling.

When You have "EEE": The Score-Motor-Switch-1B is faulty - it never opens.
When You have "FFF": The Switch on AX-Relay is "no good" means when the AX-Relay does actuate (does it ever actuate ?) - when it does actuate: The switch does NOT truely open. Greetings Rolf

0Surf-Champ-Work-17 (resized).jpg0Surf-Champ-Work-17 (resized).jpg

#13 7 years ago

Thanks for your help. I fixed the problem, but I'm still not clear on what was wrong! I adjusted the B1 switch, but that did not help. While adjusting it again, I broke the solder between the 1B inner switch and the 1C inner switch, rendering the game inoperable. Once I repaired the link between the two inner switches, the game worked, and the one-player problem was solved. Rolf, does this make any sense?

#14 7 years ago

Working on the scoring motor was intimidating. Usually, I just clean up the player step unit on a machine, and everything is fixed!

#15 7 years ago

Hi Hammond2
great - You could fix the fault. Yes, working on Score-Motor-Switches / AX-Interlock-Type-Relay-Switches is a drag ...

IF (if, if) SCM-1B was faulty always closed: The U-Relay does not let go. You did some adjustment - You had a second problem (You immediately could fix) - we do not KNOW --- we can guess and argue - lets be thankful "You could fix the fault".

Look at the JPG - a schematics is an abstract - drawn beautyful --- the reality in the pin is other. Yes of course: When we see a wire running from A to B (no switch in the connecting wire) - we may see a looooong connecting wire in the schematics: THEN there is a connection in the pin from A to B - but maybe just a short Jumper (see bottom of the JPG).

I like my Surf Champ - still: Far Out is my Number-1 pin. I am used to make some 8 to 15 bonus each ball on Far Out. I was frustrated about "most of the balls on Surf Champ end with 1 to 6 Bonus". So I made a little hack - I made the Surf Champ act like Far Out - See here: http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=823&picno=52842 a "LIT Inlane" rewards a bonus.
To keep it simple I made the Inlanes on my Surf Champ "to reward me one bonus": EVERY time the Ball rolls through an Inline ...

If Your problem comes back: Write --- greetings Rolf

0Surf-Champ-Work-19 (resized).jpg0Surf-Champ-Work-19 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/surf-champ-two-player-default-u-relay-stays-energized and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.