Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

SC new spinner pushrod (resized).JPG
0Aladdins-Castle-Work-26 (resized).jpg
0Surf-Champ-ipdb-image-12 (resized).jpg
jumper (resized).png
0Surf-Champ-Work-38 (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).PNG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frenchmarky.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#26 4 years ago

Does the 100 score reel get stuck between numbers like that when the spinner is lit for 100 as well? That 10 reel is getting stuck like that somethimes even when it is scoring relatively slowly. You sure you never see it get stuck like that if you score fast or slow on other features?

#27 4 years ago

Can you take pics/video of the actual spinner switch while going thru an entire rotation? I don't know if Gottlieb specifies the proper gapping of those(?) but I could see where if that was out of whack it would cause problems.

#40 4 years ago

I'm still bugged by the initial video where the reel is basically sitting there, and then just barely edging forward with each spin. I don't currently have an EM game with a spinner so I'm wondering if this would happen if the spinner switch gap was just way way too close, just close enough to not be stuck 'on'. Wouldn't it act like that, not giving the reel enough time to actually fully retract and latch between pulses until they are ridiculously slow like in the vid? And he said the 100 pt spin is doing the same thing though not as bad. Both don't go thru N but they do go thru the spinner switch. Have owned lots of Gtbs with spinners though and never saw them do that stuff, they looked normal like the vid with the spinner mod above. You want the spinner switch to close at close to the top of the spinner rotation, the reel will pull itself in by itself even if the spinner switch opens again first at high speed (as long as its end of stroke switch is not broken off.)

#44 4 years ago

Of course I'm thinking of Gtbs I'd shopped out and the spinner worked fine in play but of course if I'd spun the thing harder than a ball would normally hit it you'd eventually get close to the limit of the time needed for the reel plunger to go all the way in and out. How long that takes would be an interesting test with a camera - the absolute maximum theoretical counting speed of a Gtb decagon unit!

#46 4 years ago

Looks like later Gottlieb switched to a spinner rod with a hook on the end that pulled the switch blade, not quite a loop. In the 60s it ended in a straight bend which locked into the switch blade hole.

#50 4 years ago

What is the supposed reason for them going with the weight on the rod in the first place, all their spinners before or after did not have these, correct? What if the weight were just permanently fastened to the switch blade instead of being able to move, would that make it work better or worse?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frenchmarky.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/surf-champ-slummin-spinner?tu=frenchmarky and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.