Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

SC new spinner pushrod (resized).JPG
0Aladdins-Castle-Work-26 (resized).jpg
0Surf-Champ-ipdb-image-12 (resized).jpg
jumper (resized).png
0Surf-Champ-Work-38 (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).PNG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fixintoplay.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

I don't know if this behavior is normal for Gottlieb EMs -- it's the only GTB machine I own with a spinner, so I have nothing to compare it to. My '75 Bally spinner mech works great and scores with every contact no matter how fast it spins. I checked and cleaned the spinner switch contact, linkage & weight -- all in great shape and work fine at slow speed, but it seems like the machine is incapable of handling high speed scoring for this feature. I also cleaned, gapped and checked the 2 sets of "C" relay contacts that control scoring and bonus lights. I also removed and serviced the related 00-99 stepper unit (FS) which works fine and rotates the bonus lights during play as it should. None of these measures has had any effect. This happens on all four player modes.

#7 4 years ago

To currieddog and HowardR's points, I serviced the contacts and checked operation of both the 6B and 10-point ("N") relays. No change to the behavior. My crummy video shows what HowardR asked about. This is the N relay in action -- fast spins, then single spins, then fast spins. It works, but the missing chime tones give away the high speed, no-scoring phenom.

#9 4 years ago

I'm open to all suggestions, especially counter-intuitive ones. I'll experiment with gaps and spring tension on the N relay. I was hoping someone would chime in if their SC/Surfer spinner behaves like this or not (or on any other comparably-equipped Gottlieb.) It could confirm or eliminate whether it's endemic to this species.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:Like I suggested, the decagon score reel action can become sluggish and any rapid scoring events for that point value can be ignored. This has happened to me on a couple of Gottliebs.

Thanks for your suggestion. I tested that theory by tapping several playfield 10-point switches very rapidly, and they spun equality fast without missing a beat. The problem has to be in the spinner scoring circuit that is not delivering the quality of pulse that the score reels need to do their job.

#13 4 years ago

Hello Rolf! Greetings to you, too. Thanks for the note. I forgot you had a Surf Champ. How about that! Gottlieb must have used 1000 meters of wire for just that one circuit! (Current can only travel at 186,000 miles per second.)

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from rolf_martin_062:

Hi fixintoplay +
to Your post-9: The video You show in post-1 could be filmed on MY SURF CHAMP --- same behaviour. It takes me a while to "compose" text - most likely "I never felt more like singing the blues (Guy Mitchell)" with adapted text ... Greetings Rolf

Rolf, I will not give up completely. If I or someone ever finds a remedy, you won't be singin' the blues any longer.

#19 4 years ago

Rolf: To answer your question in post #15 - the score reel resetting works great at high speed on my Surf Champ, as do all other 10-point scoring functions except for that %#& spinner (which I noted in my post #11). Fast and crisp. I am of the firm belief that this "lousy design" can be redesigned with a hack. We'd give it a name, like the "Rolf Hack" or whoever comes up with the best design. I am not the guy to do it. But I'm confident we have more than enough collective experience and grey matter on this EM Tech forum to do it. I'll even offer up my Surf Champ as the beta test guinea pig.

#22 4 years ago

Thanks edednedy and @rolf. I will be testing both of your suggestions today on my surfing guinea pig. Will post results.

#23 4 years ago

Test results:

Jumper wire from "N" to "C" coils as depicted in edednedy's drawing did not work. As soon as I hit the first 10-pt PF switch, I heard one chime, no score was awarded, and no other switches or spinner worked at all -- everything froze with a hum.

"N" coil hold switch disabled with paper: machine-gunned PF switches kept pace nicely and awarded 10 points with every hit - never missed a score. This is identical to what it did before the paper was inserted. So, no change. Then the high-speed spinner test -- barely turns the 10-point score reel -- slummin' -- but does award score at very slow turns. No change whatsoever. I found this very odd.

I then went back to edednedy's suggestion in post #8 by widening the gaps of the 2 high current "N" switches, then played with several different coil springs. No change.

The guinea pig survived, but we're out of ideas.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

Have you checked for "floating contacts," ie-slightly loose contacts on the relevant blades? Give a good squeeze with needle nose pliers to all involved in the circuit from C to N.

Have not, but will do. I think Rolf is right, tho. This is a design flaw if other GTB EMs are behaving the same way. If you have the schematic, take another look at that circuit. It only happens with the spinner scoring. Rolf's SC does exactly the same thing. There has to be a way to disable and reconfigure that function's circuit, but I can't see it. Maybe add a new stack switch or rebuild a relay. I had an Aladdin's Castle with a stock spinner that was a huge part of the fun because it worked so great. If that Bally could do it... well, you get the idea. I'll name it the "Currieddog Patch". You'll go down in pinball history.

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

Does the 100 score reel get stuck between numbers like that when the spinner is lit for 100 as well? That 10 reel is getting stuck like that somethimes even when it is scoring relatively slowly. You sure you never see it get stuck like that if you score fast or slow on other features?

To your 1st point @frenchymark, I ran a 100-point high-speed spinner scoring test: that function is also sluggish, but not as bad as the 10-point spinner scoring. The "N" relay was not involved or activated.

To your 2nd point, yes I'm sure. As I've said several times in my posts, the 10-point scoring behaves nicely for all other 10-point switches.

Which leads me to believe there could be an inherent issue with the design of the spinner/switch mechanism itself. I'll try experimenting further with that. Maybe I should try replacing it with a Bally spinner! Seriously.

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Well, I have a Top Score and don't have this issue. I never have seen this. It's not supposed to do this. Something is sluggish in the chain.

@D-Gottlieb: Might help if you provide a photo/video of your Top Score spinner/switch in action beneath the PF? Also, how is that spinner's circuit wired that's different from SC and Surfer?

#37 4 years ago

Rolf: I’m a bit confused by your post #35. What are you proposing specifically?

#38 4 years ago

Gentlemen, I present to you my latest GTB Surf Champ spinner redesign. Tests show spins on both 10-point and 100-point modes. As Steve Young would say, "Put your damn schematic away; this is a mechanical problem!"

Will post pic of solution shortly. Enjoy.

#39 4 years ago

The spinner's plunger and switch had to be the culprit of the "lousy design". To test that theory, I eliminated them by clipping alligator leads to the switch's two solder tabs and then machine-gunned the hell out of wire ends. That confirmed it.

There are actually two mechanical issues that really do show poor design, both of which needed to be addressed:

1. the factory plunger only applies force to the switch blade in one direction: down. The plunger' shaft also interferes with switch movement as it scrapes against the leaf's hole edges. Whenever I tried to adjust the moving switch leaf for greater upward force, it caused the spinner to lay flat and not work. There was no happy medium. So I removed the old wire & weight and formed a new plunger with loops at both ends, one of which hooks permanently into the hole at the end the switch leaf. (I know some Bally designs do it this way, which is probably why they work so well.) That allowed me to bend the switch leaf as far as needed to balance much stronger up and down forces that offered a wider contact gap. I removed the entire assembly to do this. The picture shows the side by side comparison of the plungers (factory on right).

2. the switch blade contacts need to be gapped at least 1/8" - 3/16" apart. The plunger makes such deep sweeps up and down that a normal gap will not allow enough clearance and dwell time, particularly at high speed cycles.

If someone is not happy with the scoring of their Gottlieb spinner, this is a solution. It takes patience to adjust the tension and get it right. But it works.

SC new spinner pushrod (resized).JPGSC new spinner pushrod (resized).JPG
#42 4 years ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

I'm still bugged by the initial video where the reel is basically sitting there, and then just barely edging forward with each spin. I don't currently have an EM game with a spinner so I'm wondering if this would happen if the spinner switch gap was just way way too close, just close enough to not be stuck 'on'. Wouldn't it act like that, not giving the reel enough time to actually fully retract and latch between pulses until they are ridiculously slow like in the vid? And he said the 100 pt spin is doing the same thing though not as bad. Both don't go thru N but they do go thru the spinner switch. Have owned lots of Gtbs with spinners though and never saw them do that stuff, they looked normal like the vid with the spinner mod above.

Point taken, and that's what tried first and got nowhere. In fact, after I installed the mod and ran a test, there was no change -- until I really started messing with bending and gapping. The new mod allowed me to get a gap wide enough and a dwell long enough so that the spinner would stay vertical when idle and score correctly when called on, which was impossible with the factory set up. The physics is tough to explain in writing, and the video can't show what really happens new vs old. Like I said, Bally got the push-pull concept right.

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from edednedy:

Sounds great. As soon as I clear room to access my two Gottlieb spinner games, I'll give this a try. I forgot those Gottlieb spinners had that weight on them. This makes sense.
So I shall dub this Fixintoplay's Alternative Spinner Trigger... F.A.S.T for short

Hehehe. Love it!

#48 4 years ago

Thanks!

#49 4 years ago

Oftentimes design decisions are made based on production efficiencies. This Gottlieb design is a "slip-in" -- easier to install than the Bally or my version.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fixintoplay.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/surf-champ-slummin-spinner?tu=fixintoplay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.