“Surf champ score problem”

(0 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capture1 (resized).PNG
Capture (resized).PNG

#1 4 years ago

In a 4 player mode , when going from player 1 to player 2 , after the ball drains in player 1 the score for player 2 increases by 1000. This does not happen in any other situation while in a 4 player mode , going from second to third , or third to fourth or fourth to first player. Looking in the back box while this happens , the relay controlling the thousands , energizes just after the ball drains and the lights for the second player come on.
I will check the relays in the back box and I appreciate any advice helping me to locate more easily the problem.

#2 4 years ago

Do you get 1000 minimum bonus after each drain, ie-is that the ruleset? Check the Coin Unit.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

Do you get 1000 minimum bonus after each drain, ie-is that the ruleset? Check the Coin Unit.

From what I know Once the number of players is set at the start of the game, the Coin Unit doesn't move until after the last ball drains. The problem though occurs every single time the game goes from player one to player two.
Also the ball drains while the game is set to player one and the 1000 points are credited to player two.

#4 4 years ago

Coin Unit should move, at least for the lites. Check the Player Unit sw. here and make sure that P1B is closed and making good contact.

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNGCapture1 (resized).PNGCapture1 (resized).PNG
#5 4 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

Coin Unit should move, at least for the lites. Check the Player Unit sw. here and make sure that P1B is closed and making good contact.[quoted image][quoted image]

Will check the player unit and see what I find.
Thank you for the info.

#6 4 years ago

Hi phototamer
I also have an Surf Champ. In post-1 You write about an very strange fault. I do not yet have a thesis to explain the fault. May I ask some questions so with Your answers I try to narrow down on the problem ?

Do You have the pin in "5 balls per game" or in "3 balls per game" ? You write about "In a four player game ..." - does the fault always happen when the pin in a 4-player game changes from player-1 to player-2 ? After player-1-ball-1 ? Always (means in every 4-player-game You play) ? --- after player-1-ball-2 ? always ? - after player-1-ball-3 ? always ? (in a 5 balls per play: ) - after player-1-ball-4 ? always ? - after player-1-ball-5 ? always ?
How about You play a 3-player game ? How about You play a 2-player-game ? How about You play a 1-player-game (does some strange thing happen) ?
Player-1 looses a ball with Zero bonus - does then the fault happen ?
Player-1 looses a ball with 1 bonus - does then the fault happen ? - player-1 gets exactly 1000 points for his 1 bonus ?
Player-1 looses a ball with 2 bonus - does then the fault happen ? - player-1 gets exactly 2000 points for his 2 bonus ?
Player-1 looses a ball with 3 bonus - does then the fault happen ? - player-1 gets exactly 3000 points for his 3 bonus ?
Player-1 looses a ball with 4 bonus - does then the fault happen ? - player-1 gets exactly 4000 points for his 4 bonus ?
Player-1 looses a ball with 5 bonus - does then the fault happen ? - player-1 gets exactly 5000 points for his 5 bonus ?

I believe to read in post-1: The fault happens when the ball is kicked-over - rolls over to the shooter alley. Williams and Bally handle it different --- Gottlieb has a switch on the playfield - but under the apron --- the ball rolls over to the shooter alley, closes this switch - the P-Add-Player-Relay pulls in and makes the Player-Unit in the Backbox to step. At end of a ball (player-1) do not let the ball roll in the Outhole between the flipper bats - YOU park Your finger there and wait until the bonus is counted down - the ball-kicker will kick Your finger - NOW take out Your finger.
Doing this: There is no ball rolling over to the shooter-alley --- but does something strange happen ? lift the playfield - see here https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2459&picno=46683 the switch in the upper right corner of the picture (on the way from the Outhole to the shooter-alley): This is the mentioned switch (called Trough-Switch) - You now have the playfield lifted (some time has passed when You were raising the playfield, the motor does not run) - press and let go on that switch, close the switch and let it reopen --- the motor should run and the pin should change to player-2 --- do You get the faulty 1000 points on the Score-Drum of player-2 ?

Ask a friend to play a 4-player-game - YOU stand at the Backbox and watch the "relay controlling the thousands" - watch it - see how it pulls-in then let go (when the friend makes points playing) - watch it when player-1 looses a ball and the bonus is counted down - see how the relay does rhythmically pulls-in and then let go --- AND THEN the fault happens - does / did the relay actuate in the same way as before ? or does / did the relay stay pulling much longer ? Greetings Rolf

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from rolf_martin_062:

Hi phototamer
I also have an Surf Champ. In post-1 You write about an very strange fault. I do not yet have a thesis to explain the fault. May I ask some questions so with Your answers I try to narrow down on the problem ?
Do You have the pin in "5 balls per game" or in "3 balls per game" ? You write about "In a four player game ..." - does the fault always happen when the pin in a 4-player game changes from player-1 to player-2 ? After player-1-ball-1 ? Always (means in every 4-player-game You play) ? --- after player-1-ball-2 ? always ? - after player-1-ball-3 ? always ? (in a 5 balls per play: ) - after player-1-ball-4 ? always ? - after player-1-ball-5 ? always ?
How about You play a 3-player game ? How about You play a 2-player-game ? How about You play a 1-player-game (does some strange thing happen) ?
Player-1 looses a ball with Zero bonus - does then the fault happen ?
Player-1 looses a ball with 1 bonus - does then the fault happen ? - player-1 gets exactly 1000 points for his 1 bonus ?
Player-1 looses a ball with 2 bonus - does then the fault happen ? - player-1 gets exactly 2000 points for his 2 bonus ?
Player-1 looses a ball with 3 bonus - does then the fault happen ? - player-1 gets exactly 3000 points for his 3 bonus ?
Player-1 looses a ball with 4 bonus - does then the fault happen ? - player-1 gets exactly 4000 points for his 4 bonus ?
Player-1 looses a ball with 5 bonus - does then the fault happen ? - player-1 gets exactly 5000 points for his 5 bonus ?
I believe to read in post-1: The fault happens when the ball is kicked-over - rolls over to the shooter alley. Williams and Bally handle it different --- Gottlieb has a switch on the playfield - but under the apron --- the ball rolls over to the shooter alley, closes this switch - the P-Add-Player-Relay pulls in and makes the Player-Unit in the Backbox to step. At end of a ball (player-1) do not let the ball roll in the Outhole between the flipper bats - YOU park Your finger there and wait until the bonus is counted down - the ball-kicker will kick Your finger - NOW take out Your finger.
Doing this: There is no ball rolling over to the shooter-alley --- but does something strange happen ? lift the playfield - see here https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2459&picno=46683 the switch in the upper right corner of the picture (on the way from the Outhole to the shooter-alley): This is the mentioned switch (called Trough-Switch) - You now have the playfield lifted (some time has passed when You were raising the playfield, the motor does not run) - press and let go on that switch, close the switch and let it reopen --- the motor should run and the pin should change to player-2 --- do You get the faulty 1000 points on the Score-Drum of player-2 ?
Ask a friend to play a 4-player-game - YOU stand at the Backbox and watch the "relay controlling the thousands" - watch it - see how it pulls-in then let go (when the friend makes points playing) - watch it when player-1 looses a ball and the bonus is counted down - see how the relay does rhythmically pulls-in and then let go --- AND THEN the fault happens - does / did the relay actuate in the same way as before ? or does / did the relay stay pulling much longer ? Greetings Rolf

Hi Rolf ,
Before I answer everything you state above , I must thank you for your time and attention for which I am in debt. Will get back with answers until Sunday.
Thank you again for you time .

#8 4 years ago

No much free time to check and adjust surf champ but I noted the following.
It is in a 5 ball per game , and the fault happens always in a 2 player game , in a 3 player game and in a 4 player game. After player 1 ball 1 always , after player 1 ball 2 always , after player 1 ball 3 always , after player 1 ball 4 always , after player 1 ball 5 always in 2 , 3 or 4 player game.
Closing the ball drain with finger does not result in the 1000 points added to player 2. After that , closing the trough switch makes the fault happen adding 1000 points to player 2.
Additional to that when all star rollovers are pressed the ( 100 point when lit ) lights up under the rollover . Turing the spinner though does not award any points but changes the position of the bonus light sequentially on the top roll overs and left roll over.

Also , the points for player one does not get over 999 to 1000 , but starts all over from 0.
This happened today. I know that I have to check and clean the switches on the back box for the score reels but this can happen on Monday.
Ohh I wish I could buy free time from somewhere
Will check the game throughly on Monday and report back.
Thank you all for your time and attention .

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball
Other
Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/surf-champ-score-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.