• Latest reply 8 years ago by Dpirhana
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
#1 8 years ago

New to Pinside and recently acquired my first EM, a Surf Champ. Starts up fine, kicks out a ball, plays great - until the 5th ball drains. At that point the score motor keeps running; on the back glass the 1st and 2nd player score lights are on (even though only a one player game was played); and the 1st and 4th player coin lights are also on; the Game Over light flickers periodically but won't come on solid. If the game happened to match, it will keep adding credits until credit reel maxes out, and the knocker will keep firing.

If I press the replay button the game resets for a new game, and the motor stops. And everything is great until the 5th ball drains again.....

I have the schematics and have checked the AX, BX, Q, H, and O relays. All the switches seem correct. I've checked the zero position switch on the bonus unit, also seems fine.

Obviously I'm overlooking something. Would appreciate any help to point me in the right direction. Thanks.

#2 8 years ago

BX needs to activate and latch when the last ball drains. When it does, a switch on it opens, which opens the path to the Add Player Unit.

BX activates via the wiper disc on the Player Unit and a switch on the Ball Return relay (O).

(This can be found on the schematic at around 16E.)

So first need to observe if BX is activating and tripping on the last ball. If it is, then make sure the switch there opens, and there's no short on the back tabs.

If BX isn't activating, then check the wiper disc on the Player Unit to see that all the spring-loaded fingers are making good contact with the stationary disc, and that the fingers have their braided copper wires connected to join them.

#3 8 years ago

The man is a "Gottlieb Whisperer"

I was following one of my Gottlieb schematics and was headed down that path, but my answer would have been so much choppier.

You're a master.

#4 8 years ago

When the 5th ball drains and the score motor starts running, the BX relay is engaged. It looks like there are two switches that open on the BX relay when it is engaged. No tabs are shorted.

While this is happening, the O and Q relays are kicking in and out....

#5 8 years ago

Ok, good. The next thing to check would be the switch on Q with OR-BLK and BR-BLK wires to make sure it opens when Q energizes, cutting power to O.

Here's why:

With BX latched, one of those open switches should prevent the Player Unit from stepping. And, a now closed switch on BX, along with a switch closed on 'O' (O is still energized from the ball drain), should complete a circuit that scans for a Match for each of the four players, going through the Coin Unit (the Coin Unit steps down for this).

Then a switch at motor 4C finally closes at the end of the score motor rev to complete a circuit to Game Over (Q). This is the same path as the Match check, and goes through the same switch on O and BX (but now adds motor 4C).

Once Q activates, it should open a switch on Q that opens the path to O, causing O to de-energize. If O doesn't de-energize when Q activates, then a switch on O will keep the score motor running and the cycle will just repeat.

Since O and Q are kicking in and out, that suggests that the path to O isn't getting opened like it should, which suggests the switch on Q isn't opening when Q energizes. So I'd check there next (and the back tabs, etc. for a short).

(This is at 22E on the schematic for the path to O, and at 14E for the path to Q and Match logic.)

#6 8 years ago

Well, we seem to be close. I checked the OR-BLK and BR-BLK switch on Q. And when I slipped a scrap of paper between the blades the score motor stopped. I figured, great, just needs a simple adjustment. But I'm not so sure. I have it adjusted so that the score motor stops, but now the ball return kicker never fires.....no matter how I adjust the switch it seems like it's either/or.

But if I manually engage O (BR-RED and OR-RED) I can get the kicker to fire. Is this progress?

#7 8 years ago

That switch needs to be closed when Q is not energized, to allow O to energize (which in turn causes the ball to kick out). So if the ball return kick never fires, then it sounds like now the switch never closes.

It needs to be adjusted so that it opens when Q energizes, but otherwise is normally closed.

The slip of paper test was good though, as it sounds like that's at least the right switch. Just needs to open and close properly hopefully.

#8 8 years ago

Yeah, I understand. I've tweaked that switch on Q a dozen times. It's a normally closed switch and I put the meter on it to confirm it is closed when not engaged. And when I manually engage the switch everything looks great. Somehow I think the relay isn't operating correctly. I tried a new spring. That didn't help. I have a new coil in there (A-9740). That doesn't help. The relay doesn't seem to have the same range of motion when engaged electrically. Could be my imagination. What could stop it from fully engaging?

Hard to believe that one switch on the relay has such a small margin for error. I'll try adjusting it some more, but I don't have a warm fuzzy feeling about it....

Really appreciate your help. Thanks.

PS - with no wires attached the new coil measured like 25 ohms resistance; installed the resistance measures less than .5 ohms. It was like that with the old coil as well. Is that normal? Or could that be another problem?

#9 8 years ago

So another possibility is that Q is working fine (and was working fine), but the problem is actually back on O. If the armature on O doesn't let go fast enough to open the lock-in path, it might be able to re-engage when Q de-energizes.

#10 8 years ago

Seems like something definitely going on with Q and O. They seem locked in a tug of war.

Maybe the spring on O needs more tension? There's definitely some blue flashes on O. As I recall there are 7 N/O and 1 N/C switches on O. They look OK, and when engaged manually look fine. Could it be the coil? I'll check.

Just wondering, at the end of a game over sequence should BX be engaged or not? At this point it's still engaged, but I notice when I manually trip the BX reset the 4th player coin light goes out, and so does the 2nd player score light. Seems like that should happen. Also at this point, no Game Over light on.

#11 8 years ago

Oh, wait, I forgot to mention something else!

When Q energizes in the sequence I outlined above, it should stay energized via its own lock-in switch and a make/break switch on AX that should be closed while AX is unlatched. So Q should stay on until the next game is started.

From the description, it sounds like Q isn't locking on and holding, so the better thing to check would be its lock-in switch and that make/break switch on AX. The lock-in switch will be the one connected to the coil lug, and the switch on AX is BL-WH-RED on one wire.

I'd guess it's the switch on AX.

#12 8 years ago

Well, seems like I'm back at square one. The game plays perfectly, but once the 5th ball drains, score motor keeps running, etc.

I checked out AX, switches look correct. Probably something right in front of my face and I'm just not seeing it....I don't know, DirtFlipper, I feel unworthy of your tutelage.

Unless you have another course of action, I'll go through your previous posts and look at it all again later with fresh eyes. Thanks.

#13 8 years ago

I had a few issues very similar to this on my 4 player Jack in the Box, so many of the circuit paths are similar to this game (main difference is no Ax)... all good tips and spot on with those circuits so far... I would also suggest making sure the switch stacks on those relays are tightened down, and that there's no mechanical binding happening when those relays pull in/disengage.

Gottlieb relays have very little play in them and to really nail them down functionally , especially make/break switches, I use a lighted magnifying glass and manipulate the relays and eyeball the make/break action as I adjust the blades as needed.

I've also had contact points come loose on the blade, resulting in inconsistent troubleshooting - this is a corner case and most likely isn't your issue, but it does happen.

#14 8 years ago

Q still energizing after the last ball drains and letting go though? It really needs to energize and lock on. So the 'energize' part is working, which is good, but the 'staying' energized part isn't working, which is the problem.

That narrows it to only the lock-in switch on Q itself, and that make/break switch on AX.

Since the switch on AX should already be closed after reset completes, you should be able to manually close Q and have it energize via that same lock-in path (without having to play the game and go through all five balls). It should click on and then when you let go, stay locked on.

If it doesn't, then that path from AX back through Q has an open in it.

If AX is in the backbox and Q is on the score motor board, then there's also the possibility of a Jones plug connection gone astray. But I'd focus first on the switch on Q and AX more.

#15 8 years ago

I checked the switch stacks, they were tight. No binding.

I focused on the lock-in switch at Q, tried to make the gap as small as possible.

Here's what happens:

Before the 5th ball drains: Q is not engaged (lock-in switch is open); AX is not engaged (BL-WH-RED side of make/break is closed).

After 5th ball drains: AX still not engaged (BL-WH-RED is closed); the Q and O relays are just rocking in and out, seems like O has a bit more movement.

If at this point I manually force the Q relay to engage the score motor stops, but the Q relay hums really loud.

Also, there is continuity from the BL-WH-RED on the M/B AX switch to both side of the Q lock-in switch.

#16 8 years ago

Without going through playing all 5 balls, you should be able to just manually close the switch ladder on Q and have it 'grab' and hold.

We know the coil is good, since the activation path works, but the 'lock-in path' has an open in it still.

Do you have a jumper wire?

#17 8 years ago

Yes, with alligator clips.

#18 8 years ago

A quick brute force would be to jumper from the Q lock-in switch to either side of the AX m/b switch, to see if that bypasses an open. Or from the lug on Q where the lock-in switch attaches to either side of the AX switch.

Are AX and Q co-located very closely, or are they separated by cab/backbox?

#19 8 years ago

AX and Q are like 3 inches apart, across from each other.

When I ran a jumper from AX M/B switch to the Q lock-in switch it definitely locked it in the relay, and the lock-in switch closed, but the score motor kept running. Then I noticed another switch on the relay wasn't quite opening (the O-BLK and BR-BLK), so I adjusted that - and with the jumper in place the score motor stopped! The relay was humming pretty good, but the motor stopped. And when I remove the jumper the score motor starts again.

So, should I replace the BL-WH-RED wire from the AX M/B to the lock-in switch on Q? Is it that simple?

And what can be done about the hum on Q? It has a new coil.

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from Dpirhana:

Then I noticed another switch on the relay wasn't quite opening

Which relay? (Q or AX). There's no switch on Q that should run the score motor, but there is on AX (although it's YEL-RED on one blade, not those colors). Not sure why the score motor would run, unless AX got latched somehow.

Quoted from Dpirhana:

So, should I replace the BL-WH-RED wire from the AX M/B to the lock-in switch on Q? Is it that simple?

No, I doubt it. If you jumpered from the 'far side' of both switches, then both were bypassed and a direct path to the Q coil was created. Need to move the jumper to the 'near side' of the switches, so at least one (or both) of them still need to close to complete the circuit. The 'near side' in this case would be the BL-WH-RED blade of both Q and AX (i.e., should be nothing but that wire between them). But the 'far side' of that switch on Q should be BL+BLK (and have a wire that runs over to the lug on the coil). That would bypass the AX switch, but leave the Q switch in the path.

If this isn't making sense, I can try and craft a picture later.

Quoted from Dpirhana:

And when I remove the jumper the score motor starts again.

Did Q remain locked on? Not sure why the score motor would be running (again, unless AX got latched somehow).

Quoted from Dpirhana:

And what can be done about the hum on Q? It has a new coil.

Could be the armature plate isn't sitting flat on the new coil center lug, or that there's too much blade tension (and spring tension) pulling the armature back up.

#21 8 years ago

Which relay? Q, the OR-BLK and BR-BLK, the same switch I stuck a slip of paper between a couple days ago, that made the motor stop. It's supposed to open when Q is locked, and it wasn't quite opening. When it's open the motor stopped. But I had jumpered from the near side of AX to the far side of Q. That locked the O relay and opened the OR-BLK and BR-BLK switch and stopped the motor. And when I removed the jumper from the far side of Q the motor started running again, I guess because Q was no longer really locked solid.

When I jumper both near sides of Q and AX the motor keeps running after the fifth ball. So, doesn't appear that a "like for like" replacement of the BL-WH-RED between the AX and Q would solve anything.

The far side switch on Q, which has a red jumper to the coil, looks like it's more BLK-SLATE. But some of the colors seem to be pretty faded, maybe it was BL-BLK at one time.

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from Dpirhana:

But I had jumpered from the near side of AX to the far side of Q. That locked the O relay and opened the OR-BLK and BR-BLK switch and stopped the motor.

Then this would have bypassed the lock-in switch on Q, but left the AX m/b switch in the path.

Quoted from Dpirhana:

When I jumper both near sides of Q and AX the motor keeps running after the fifth ball.

This would put the lock-in switch on Q back in the path.

The combo of these two tests suggests the problem is with the lock-in switch on Q.

One additional experiment would be to jumper that lock-in switch right at Q. Because space is cramped, could put one clip on the red jumper and the other clip on the BL-WH-RED side. Bear in mind though that the path from the lug (the red jumper wire) to that switch is also a possible suspect.

Seems to be right there in that area though, based on the previous tests.

#23 8 years ago

Well, I managed to squeeze the jumper on the tabs of the Q lock-in switch. When I turn the machine on the Q and U and H relays all seem to lock on solid, which sounds good. The Q relay has a loud hum, but the score motor is not running.

Then when I press the replay button the score motor starts and the machine sounds like it wants to start a game, only at the end the score motor stops and it never tries to kick out a ball. And the Game Over light comes on. If I move one end of the jumper from the far side of the Q lock-in switch to the other end of the red jumper on the coil, I get the exact same thing.

So, sounds like there is something wrong with the Q lock- in switch itself (though I can't see anything wrong with it), and somewhere along the way I must have done something that is preventing the ball from kicking out.....

#24 8 years ago

Can't jumper that switch until after the reset has completed, otherwise there's a path to Game Over active right away, instead of waiting until the last ball. With Q active, the O relay can't activate to kick out the ball.

You can still jumper it early, but put a slip of paper in to block the switch until after the last ball drains and it enters that endless cycle mode. Then pull the paper out, and that path will be completed.

But yes, it sounds like there's an issue with the lock-in switch. Do the contact points spin in the blade at all? Have you tugged on the wires to make sure they're on solid?

#25 8 years ago

Yes, good idea with the paper. It worked as you suggested, with the jumper in place.

I tugged on the wires on the Q lock-in switch. They are solid. The switch blades seem fine. I checked for continuity on each blade from the contact to the tab. Checked out OK.

But I'm really baffled. I turned the machine off. Then I removed the jumper from AX to Q. Then I turned the machine back on. The Q was locked on (humming away). I pressed replay and the game started up and kicked out a ball. When the 5th ball drains the Q relay is not locked on all the way and the score motor is running. Then I put the jumper back on from AX to Q and the Q relay locks on hard and the motor stops. I can't explain it.

Why does Q lock on when the machine is first turned on, but not at the end of the game when the last ball drains? If it was that one switch that was bad wouldn't it be bad both times?

Should I just replace those switch blades and see what happens?

#26 8 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpg

There is a bit of insulation missing on the red jumper wire, but I doubt that is the problem.

#27 8 years ago

Is that picture with the game off? Cause it looks like that lock-in switch is closed, and should be open (the switch pair that has the red jumper wire). That switch should only close when Q is energized and pulls the armature plate in.

If that switch is closed when Q isn't energized, then yes, Q will energize at game power on (via the switch at AX).

But that would also mean that the switch works, and shouldn't need the jumper.

How does it behave with that switch gapped correctly?

#28 8 years ago

And it's probably an optical illusion, but are the backs of any of those tabs touching? Looks like there's one about in the middle, but could just be the angle.

If they are, then they shouldn't be.

#29 8 years ago

And you're sure that after the last ball drains, Q is energizing and de-energizing? That's the weird part.

#30 8 years ago

The lock-in switch picture was with game off. However, there actually is a small gap. (Remember I had made it as small as possible thinking it wasn't making contact because there seemed to be so little movement in Q.) Anyway, I adjusted the gap and made it bigger and it still does the same thing: Q locks in when the machine is powered on (it's supposed to, no?); and when 5th ball drains Q doesn't seem to engage fully, and O is rapidly locking in/out, and the score motor runs....

It's like Q and O are fighting each other. Like Q wants to engage but O won't let it, and it's a diabolical endless loop

I have checked the tabs on the Q relay several times, with a powerful flashlight - nothing is crossed/shorted.

I made a short video - will it let me upload a video?

Anyway, Dirtflipper, I'm beginning to not care so much about this machine; my main concern is that you don't hurt your back trying to carry me out of the swamp.......

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from Dpirhana:

Q locks in when the machine is powered on (it's supposed to, no?)

No - there shouldn't be a closed path to it following a power off then back on. That lock-in switch being open should open the lock-in path, and the motor 4C switch being open should block the activation path (assuming the score motor is left in the 'home' position). If the score motor runs briefly at power on, then Q could maybe energize.

Quoted from Dpirhana:

when 5th ball drains Q doesn't seem to engage fully, and O is rapidly locking in/out

This sounds important. I've been going by an understanding that both Q and O are energizing/de-energizing. If Q is not, and it's really only O, then need to see whether Q is really getting its initial pulse or not. It could be that motor switch 4C is not allowing the signal from O energizing to reach Q.

Following game reset (so at Player 1, Ball 1, ready), if you manually press the O ladder stack, the O relay should 'grab' the armature and hold it, run the score motor, fire the ball kicker, and then 'let go' of the armature. That works, right?

Then if you manually press down the Q ladder stack, Q should lock-in and stay on, with the game in Game Over. (Don't bother playing through all 5 balls, this is just a test of the two basic relay behaviors.)

If those both work correctly, then check the switch at motor 4C to make sure it's closing.

#32 8 years ago

Yes, following Game Reset, if I manually press O it locks on, score motor spins, the ball kicker fires, the motor stops and O disengages.

Then I press Q and it won't lock on. It makes a nasty humming sound while its pushed in; when I let go, it quickly disengages.

#33 8 years ago

But Q locks on following a power on?

OK, let's see the video!

#34 8 years ago

And what coil part# is currently installed for Q?

#35 8 years ago

Yes, Q locks on at power on. The video was shot on my iPad. Pinside says it's not a valid file extension. I'm going to have to fool with it and see if I can convert it to MPEG. Will upload as soon as I figure it out!

Oh, coil is A-9740.

#36 8 years ago

Oops. None of the valid extensions allowed by Pinside are video.......looks like you can only upload still images.....

#37 8 years ago

I think only links to videos are allowed, so would need to go to YouTube or such.

If you block the switch at motor 4C, then does Q lock on at power on?

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

I think only links to videos are allowed, so would need to go to YouTube or such.
If you block the switch at motor 4C, then does Q lock on at power on?

Never mind - Q also gets a signal from a make/break switch on R, so Q should energize at power on and stay on until R energizes. So that's normal.

#39 8 years ago

Well, is 4C the Yellow-Black? I put paper between the switch while it was open and hit the power, and Q, U, and H lock on. The score motor never moved.

Then I manually turned the score motor until the Yellow-Black switch was closed with the paper between it, and turned the power on: Q and U lock on but H doesn't. So maybe I'm not on 4C? At position 4 there are three layers of switches. I did the Yel-blk on the top layer.

#40 8 years ago

So just to summarize, there are three paths to Q:

- the power on path through a make/break switch on R (which is working)
- the normal activation path, which goes through a switch on O, motor 4C, and BX. Not sure this path is working
- the 'lock-in' path, which goes through a switch on Q, make/break on AX. This doesn't appear to be working.

After game resets, and R activates, Q should de-energize. If you then manually close Q, it should grab and lock-in. This doesn't seem to work. That means it's among the lock-in switch on Q and the make/break switch on AX.

Previously, you jumpered from AX to Q after the ball drained, and Q locked on. Where exactly were the jumpers placed for that? That bypassed whatever open there is. There could actually be an open in the wiring between AX and Q, rather than at the switches.

#41 8 years ago
Quoted from Dpirhana:

Well, is 4C the Yellow-Black? I put paper between the switch while it was open and hit the power, and Q, U, and H lock on. The score motor never moved.
Then I manually turned the score motor until the Yellow-Black switch was closed with the paper between it, and turned the power on: Q and U lock on but H doesn't. So maybe I'm not on 4C? At position 4 there are three layers of switches. I did the Yel-blk on the top layer.

yeah, sorry - never mind on that. I missed the path to Q at power on via the make/break switch on R.

1 week later
#42 8 years ago

DirtFlipper, as Inspector Clouseau would say, it appears the problem is sol-ved.

As suggested at the pinrepair.com website I replaced the Q standard relay (A-9740) with a 220 Ohm A-16890 relay and replaced the red jumper wire with a 1n4004 diode. While doing that I also gave all the metal to metal pivot points on the relay body a good cleaning. The Q relay locks in strong, doesn't hum anymore, and when the last ball drains - the score motor stops and the Game Over light comes on! I nearly fell over the first time it happened.

Q seems to have been the culprit.

Just wanted to thank you for all the help. I learned a lot, and gained confidence in reading the schematic drawings.

Surf Champ is back in business. Thanks again.

#43 8 years ago

That's great news, and thanks for the follow-up. Makes me wonder if the issue was with the red jumper or original Q relay coil somehow, as the upgraded coil/diode shouldn't really be required to fix it. But in replacing the parts and cleaning stuff, whatever the gremlin was is clearly gone.

Enjoy the game!

#44 8 years ago

Yeah, not sure EXACTLY what the culprit was. Even if it wasn't the coil itself, seems like replacing it cured the hum.

My next problem is a Diner machine with a lift ramp coil that just fires randomly. Guess I need to learn something about switch matrices now......

Thanks again.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/surf-champ-score-motor-keeps-running and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.