IMG-0246 (resized).JPG
ScoreChart (resized).jpg
ScorePlugs (resized).jpg
backbox (resized).jpg
22F441BF-D18D-4911-A9D6-0768BFAD37FF (resized).JPG
11C76D39-4116-4744-B877-8A4F079629B7 (resized).JPG
44A3B3B6-4536-4920-A654-A106DC23B1A1 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

So the other day I started up Surf Champ to play a few rounds before work and it went through what I thought was a normal startup but the third player Ten Thousands reel didn't reset to 0 and the Score Motor just continued to spin. I shut the machine off and reset the reel manually to 0 and made sure the AX was reset and turned the machine on again. This time it looked like a normal boot-up sequence and even ejected a ball. When I attempted to play nothing on the play-field registered a score and the flippers didn't work. All four players scores are 0 and the game ejects a ball but none of the playfield scores points.

Poking around in the head I found the following and assume this is my problem but not sure.
22F441BF-D18D-4911-A9D6-0768BFAD37FF (resized).JPG22F441BF-D18D-4911-A9D6-0768BFAD37FF (resized).JPG
11C76D39-4116-4744-B877-8A4F079629B7 (resized).JPG11C76D39-4116-4744-B877-8A4F079629B7 (resized).JPG
44A3B3B6-4536-4920-A654-A106DC23B1A1 (resized).JPG44A3B3B6-4536-4920-A654-A106DC23B1A1 (resized).JPG

It looks like the wires broke but not sure if this is my problem. I have also never heard the knocker on this machine and verified it does have one so figured this could be why as well. The game was working before the other day (minus ever hearing the knocker)

I have had the machine for maybe 6 months so still learning about it. So first things first just wanted to get it back to playing and then I will investigate the knocker not knocking

#2 6 years ago

Yes, solder that wire back on. Knocker circuit should be easy enough to figure out. Do you have the radio plugs set up for specials?

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

Yes, solder that wire back on. Knocker circuit should be easy enough to figure out. Do you have the radio plugs set up for
specials?

Should I replace the wire? It looks pretty fragile? What gauge of wire do most people use if I should replace it?

Sorry I dont know about the radio plugs? What settings should they be set too. Alot of the paper instructions inside the cabinet are missing so it was trial and error to get it to be 5 balls vs 3 ball

Thanks again for your help.

#4 6 years ago

You could replace it if it looks shot. Around 18 gauge is good.

There should be something like this in your backbox, telling you what scores the plugs are for.

backbox (resized).jpgbackbox (resized).jpg

#5 6 years ago

Make the decision whether to replace it based on how it compares to the other similar wires on the stepper unit. As long as it's big enough, the wire gauge is somewhat less important than its flexibility because the disc followers move in and out with the rivets. I've never had to replace one of those but if you do replace it, get some wire made of many fine strands. Maybe even use a piece of solder wick.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

There should be something like this in your backbox, telling you what scores the plugs are for.

Yes I do have that. Ill get a picture when I get home.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Maybe even use a piece of solder wick.

What a great idea!

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

Here are the pictures of the plugs. Ill work on re-soldering this weekend and can report back to see if that fixes the issue. I'm hoping it does.
ScoreChart (resized).jpgScoreChart (resized).jpg
ScorePlugs (resized).jpgScorePlugs (resized).jpg

Thanks again for your help as I know its tough troubleshooting over forums

#9 6 years ago

Ok I soldered that wire back on and started it up. The play field still does not do anything and flippers dont work either. Is there anything else I can take a look at?

Here is picture of wire soldered back on.
IMG-0246 (resized).JPGIMG-0246 (resized).JPG

#10 6 years ago

Check Jones plugs. Do you have a schematic you can post?

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

Check Jones plugs. Do you have a schematic you can post?

I do have a schematic but afraid to post as I have been reading Gottlieb is copyright?

Ill check all jones plugs to make sure they are connected.

Thanks again for helping.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from jradams76:

The play field still does not do anything and flippers dont work either. Is there anything else I can take a look at?

Diagnose this circuit with an Alligator clip jumper wire.

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png

#13 6 years ago

Sorry I'm a beginner on this stuff I see the H and U Switches under the playfield how do I test the circuit? The playfield has lights and it resets the drop targets and the rollovers just nothing registers as points. Playfield acts like game is over as flippers dont work either.

Again sorry for my lack of reading schematics. But thanks for the patience and the help.

#14 6 years ago

No problem. If a phone call would help, PM me your contact information. If you'd rather keep this conversation online, rolf_martin_062 and fredsmythson will be a better fit for you.

#15 6 years ago

Hi jradams76
I like the ending of Your post-1: "... game ejects a ball ...". (I may be wrong - but) I believe the problem is just the switch on the Q-Game-Over-Relay --- see HowardR 's JPG in post-12, on the right, near the number 14 - switch (on Q-Relay) has wire-color-red-mingled-with-white - has wire-red-yellow.
The Q-Relay MUST "quit pulling" when You start a new game - so this switch is closed (closed when relay is not pulling - we want the relay non-pulling). May use very fine sandpaper to clean the contact-points --- are the wires soldered-on*** ? . If "No luck": I then would like to troubleshoot using Jumper-Wires --- do You have at least two ? --- well, we can use just simple wires - wind around the bare metal of the Jumper-Wire-End - wind around an solder-lug in the pin --- but Jumper-Wires with gator-clips are recommended.

soldered-on***: Wires in the pin connect from "AA" to "BB" --- well a wire can break-off at "AA (here the Switch on Q-Relay)" --- but this connecting wire could have broken-off at "BB" --- we must have this fact in mind when we investigate on "AA (here switch on Q-Relay)". Greetings Rolf

#16 6 years ago

Hi jradams76
(I may be wrong - but) I believe the problem is just the switch on the Q-Game-Over-Relay or the wire-color-RED+WH leading from the switch - (long wire) - through a Jones-Plug - leading to many switches on the underneathside of the playfield --- means no connection.
Wire-color-RED+WH is the POWER-side-connection of the 24VAC-Circuitry in the pin --- a lot of switches --- to relays current is feeded POWER to coils.
My idea is "when we force connection up to the playfield": You can play. I do have an Surf Champ (it is fully running) - I made the "set permanent Jumper" I ask You to do on Your pin. My Surf Champ nicely runs WITH the permanent jumper (O.K. it is not broken down) - my Surf Champ does not act strange with the set permanent Jumper. Please toggle-off Your pin and unplug the main power cord (Safety Reasons).

See the JPG - I took snippets from two ipdb-pictures: http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2459&picno=46683 and http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2459&picno=46684 . See in my JPG the "lemon green curved line" --- the set permanent Jumper. See on the playfield in Your pin --- a naked wire runs from Rollover-Switch (middle) to the Rollover-Switches to the left - also to the right. THIS BARE wire also is wire-color-RED+WH --- easy to clip-on the end of a Jumper-Wire (You have Your pin toggled off) at this bare wire. Then have the Jumper hang loose - clip-on the other end at the Fuse-Holder 24VAC AS SHOWN in the JPG.

Keep Your hands off --- You have set the permanent jumper - now toggle-on - nothing spectacular should happen --- then press the Replay Buton / start a game (and keep hands off the pin - just watch) - the pin should do a simple start / reset. AFTER the pin has resetted and kicked-out the ball - NOW, YOU: Try the flipper-bats pushing them flipper-buttons - can You play ? Greetings Rolf

0Surf-Champ-Work-28 (resized).jpg0Surf-Champ-Work-28 (resized).jpg

#17 6 years ago

Thanks Rolf for the suggestion. I spoke with HowardR last night and we did some troubleshooting it turns out it was the Red/Yellow on the AX switch stack that was not connecting. I adjusted the switch a little and it made the connection and the play field came alive!!

A note to anyone with this game if you have the playfield up on the Head the spinner can trigger the player 1 tens reel and hold it open. Once I put the playfield back down and started the game everything worked as it should.

Maybe one question to the group before closing the thread. What area controls the knocker? I have owned the game for about 6 months now and have never heard the knocker go off?

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from jradams76:

Thanks Rolf for the suggestion. I spoke with HowardR last night and we did some troubleshooting it turns out it was the Red/Yellow on the AX switch stack that was not connecting. I adjusted the switch a little and it made the connection and the play field came alive!!
A note to anyone with this game if you have the playfield up on the Head the spinner can trigger the player 1 tens reel and hold it open. Once I put the playfield back down and started the game everything worked as it should.
Maybe one question to the group before closing the thread. What area controls the knocker? I have owned the game for about 6 months now and have never heard the knocker go off?

switch on the credit unit. If the credit unit is gummed up and not advancing (sometimes disabled to put on free play) then no knock

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

switch on the credit unit. If the credit unit is gummed up and not advancing (sometimes disabled to put on free play) then no knock

Ahh that maybe it then since its set on Free Play. Is there a way to keep it at free play while still having the credit unit working?

Thanks!

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from jradams76:

Is there a way to keep it at free play while still having the credit unit working?

When your replay unit reaches 0, there's a pin that sticks out of the side of the replay unit's ratchet wheel, that changes the state of 1 or 2 switches. Adjust those switch(es) so the unit thinks it never reaches 0. Your replay unit is more like the Bally and Williams section of this website than the Gottlieb section.
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#free

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/surf-champ-score-motor-just-continues-to-spin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.