2014Dec07 056.JPG
image-568.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image-558.jpg
image-405.jpg
image.jpg
image-768.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ccotenj.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#64 9 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

Yikes! How would you clean them then? I just got a canister of barkeepers friend which did great on the legs. Should I just tape off where they meet the cabinet?

if not taking them off, i'd tape off the cabinet REAL well and use a green scotchbrite pad to regrain them... if damage is "deep", you might need to use something more aggressive at first...

but i'd take them off... blownfuse has a real good point (and he is FAR more experienced than i) you don't have to take them off to do it, but i find it a lot easier to regrain them if i have them off lying in front of me... i made a jig out of a piece of 1x6 to hold the rail in place while sanding... ymmv...

#69 9 years ago

Also I tossed the flipper buttons in the ultrasonic cleaner, first time using one, it's a great tool for cleaning. Interested to see how the star posts do.
Question: would putting the drop targets in be a bad idea? Could I potentially clean off the paint?

star posts will clean up nice in the ultrasonic... it IS a great tool, everyone who shops a pinball machine should have one...

NO!!!! nothing hot stamped or inked in the ultrasonic... it will come off... i learned this the hard way...

#73 9 years ago

I figured, that's why I asked first, thanks for the cautionary tale. Any recommendations on what to use to clean them?

yea, i have 3 perfectly white pop bumper bodies sitting here...

dirtflipper gave me a real good tip on cleaning score reels, and i have tried it on other inked things with success... use goop... the version with no abrasives in it... gop it on there good, and gently swirl it around with a soft toothbrush... rinse with cold water...

#75 9 years ago

sorry about your loss! Thanks for the tip, will have to find some goop!

sometimes, parts gotta die in order for me to satisfy my curiosity...

no problem... it works great on many things that you want to be careful with...

you can use "gojo" as well, again just make sure you get the "non abrasive" flavor...

#84 9 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

LOL, just come by this weekend and get what you need, I have a lot of that stuff sitting here in boxes, probably have the coils too.
Steve

man i need to move to cali...

3 weeks later
#141 9 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

If you're stuck, PM me your address and I'll come over and help you knock this game out. I have some free time tonight. I can give you a course on GTB EM's and fixing overlooked common issues with decagon units.
Steve

can you please move to southern new jersey?

#163 9 years ago

Ok so took a look in the backbox. Z1 and Z2 are the player reset relays. I have little experience with EMs but are those switch leafs supposed to be outside the slots like that? Is that normal?

image.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

that does not look correct to me... is there an "empty" pair of slots below the stack that has the blade "on top" of the armature?

edit: it is normal, see following two posts...

#169 9 years ago

Thanks guys, I will have to go with two out of three saying its normal. It does still function as a NC switch.
Think I may need to get steve (blownfuse) over here. Not getting anywhere so far with the score reset.
Also I am still having trouble with the right flipper being sticky. I tried a different coil stop last night and that was no help. Tried a different coil sleeve last night and that didnt help. tightened everything again and that was no help. Next step is to replace the plunger that I didnt do before because I thought I recieved the wrong ones because they didnt have the little plastic tab. Left flipper is working perfect and everything is the same on both, its maddening.

if blownfuse and dirtflipper say it is normal, it's normal, and you can ignore what i had to say...

hadn't seen one like that... learned my new thing for the day...

#179 9 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

Before doing any troubleshooting, I'd be looking at all the stepper units to be sure they aren't gummed up. They must all move freely, if not, all kinds of issues will show up. Usually, cleaning the stepper units will take care of some of the more obvious reset and step up issues too.
Steve

although i haven't bought many machines, one thing i learned pretty quickly is that you might as well suck it up and go through the steppers and score reels when you bring it home...

besides the obvious benefit of "knowing" that they are functioning correctly (and as steve notes, "fixing" issues before they show themselves) you may also see "other stuff" that "needs fixin" as part of the process...

#184 9 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Everything can be removed without the need of cutting any wires.

yes, thank goodness for those of us with "not so good" soldering skills...

#185 9 years ago

dupe

#187 9 years ago

Thanks, I will have to look more closely. I watched a couple of videos online on how they work, how to clean, and the ones in the video all had snipped wires, probably because they were "parts" steppers.

this pinwiki article does a good job of guiding you through it...

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=EM_Repair#Stepper_Unit_Issues

TAKE PICTURES!!! after you have had a couple of them apart, you won't need them, but it never hurts to take pictures from every conceivable angle after removing each piece...

#189 9 years ago

^^^

gotta learn sometime...

#193 9 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

true...but you want to have fun and not get overwhelmed and discouraged on project #1...if I tried completely dissecting a stepper unit on my very first machine I may have given up and ordered an Iron Man Vault.
Ease in to it I say...get a few things down and then buy a $100 pile of garbage and go nuts...just my opinion.

fair enough opinion, and one that i can understand...

i'm coming from a different spot... my first machine was "dead", hadn't been maintained in forever, and needed virtually everything rebuilt, so i basically went the "crash course" method... fortunately, pinside, clay's guide and pinwiki existed as resources...

i was highly motivated though, i had a "not insignificant" wager with my bestie over whether i could make it work or not... that was one of the best tasting dinners i've ever eaten when he had to pay off...

i won't lie, spending an entire weekend rebuilding a dt bank was more than a bit tedious and frustrating... amoungst other major frustrations... and there were times when i almost said "screw it"...

not saying either way is better... just that he's gotta learn sooner or later...

edit: plus he has steve relatively close by if he really gets stuck...

#213 9 years ago

ever since stashyboy suggested using brasso to clean the rivets, i have been using that... then LIGHTLY lube the rivets with superlube...

#216 9 years ago

take a couple minutes and watch videos 2 and 3 in this thread... they show you how to take them apart and put them together (h/t newmantnj).....

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/good-youtube-vid-for-decagon-score-reels#post-1059043

1 week later
#251 9 years ago

I want to add that looking at the switch with the problem it looked perfectly adjusted. I never would have realized it needed cleaning and adjusting without using the schematic and the jumper.

sadly, this will not be the only time that this happens...

the dreaded "switch that looks like it is making when it really isn't" glitch...

but now you know how to read the schematic, and how to isolate "breaks" in circuits... a good learning day!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ccotenj.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/surf-champ-restore-help-will-be-needed?tu=ccotenj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.