2014Dec07 056.JPG
image-568.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image-558.jpg
image-405.jpg
image.jpg
image-768.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider blownfuse.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#47 9 years ago

Steve, when you start troubleshooting it, if you get stuck and need help, let me know and I'll drop in for a visit. I can fix those EM's easily, it's what I was brought up on. I also have a lot of extra EM parts over here.

Steve

#49 9 years ago

I hate to say it but I gave a SC away a while back just to get it out of my way. My buddy still has it, his wife wanted it. He's now separated, I bet/think I can get it back.

Steve

#51 9 years ago

I was looking at the bracket that Steve posted with the blue arrow pointing to it (post 33), from where I'm sitting it looks like one from a Williams (they are flat), not a Gottlieb which have a bend in them to make them stronger (post 34, middle pic from pinhead52).

Steve

#55 9 years ago

The nails holding the rails on are a twist type, they are almost like a screw and very difficult to remove. It can be done but you have to take your time and be able to grab the head of the nail, pull and rotate your wrist as you remove it.

Steve

Quoted from practicalsteve:

One question about cleaning siderails. Do you just pry them off? Sems like s lot of potential for damage.

#56 9 years ago

It looks normal to me, I was talking about the part that has the blue arrow pointing at it. I have a lot of those here, you can pick out what you want to use.

Steve

Wait, so is my U Bracket supposed to be bent where I circled in post 33.

#58 9 years ago

LOL, yup, it doesn't really take long to make an EM work if it's complete.

Steve

Thanks so much Steve! I have heard legend that with jumpers and a few feet of wire you can fix any EM under five minutes! You are a good guy and I will let you know if I need any assistance in person or parts.

Very local, less than an hour and the town I grew up in!

#60 9 years ago

I wouldn't bother removing the rails unless you plan to repaint the cabinet. They will polish up real nice in place, you just have to be careful.

Steve

Yikes! How would you clean them then? I just got a canister of barkeepers friend which did great on the legs. Should I just tape off where they meet the cabinet?

#61 9 years ago

I've used a large punch to break them loose, but why bother, I have a lot of that stuff that isn't burned up looking.

Steve

Then I will put more effort into getting that stuff out of the melted coil, haven't really tried yet. Finally borrowed a dolly and got the game all in the same room today.

#79 9 years ago

I prefer the A-1496 (2.95 ohms) in EM's because of them not being designed "high octane". A-4893 is 2.1 ohms and more likely to beat up any playfield art that isn't protected. It's a matter of choice, both are listed as being used for pop bumpers. I think as far as play goes, the A-1496 won't be noticed as being a little weaker.

Steve

#81 9 years ago

LOL, just come by this weekend and get what you need, I have a lot of that stuff sitting here in boxes, probably have the coils too.

Steve

#83 9 years ago

I have weeknights free.

Steve

1 week later
#115 9 years ago

Glad to help the cause, I had fun too. Don't lose that gold ball. Drop in any time (but call first to be sure I'm home).

Steve

#123 9 years ago

I've also seen the wood area scooped around the bulb and shaped for a perfect fit if it should be a 455. I can't remember if Gottlieb did this though.

Steve

1 week later
#137 9 years ago

If you're stuck, PM me your address and I'll come over and help you knock this game out. I have some free time tonight. I can give you a course on GTB EM's and fixing overlooked common issues with decagon units.

Steve

#164 9 years ago

It's not uncommon for Gottlieb to stack a switch on top of the AX insulator arm, it's just another way to open or close the switch contacts.

Steve

I have little experience with EMs but are those switch leafs supposed to be outside the slots like that? Is that normal?

#175 9 years ago

Before doing any troubleshooting, I'd be looking at all the stepper units to be sure they aren't gummed up. They must all move freely, if not, all kinds of issues will show up. Usually, cleaning the stepper units will take care of some of the more obvious reset and step up issues too.

Steve

#180 9 years ago

If you want the best, I agree, but 3 in 1 will do a good job of breaking down the gunk so the parts can be cleaned up (and it's easier to find).

Steve

Quoted from MikeO:

I recommend Tri Flow Teflon lubricant in the 2 oz. squeeze bottle over 3 in 1 oil. You will find it in the squeeze bottle in bicycle shops. You may have to call around to find one that stocks it. Tri Flow is the quality lubricant of this millennium over 3 in 1 and WD40.

#181 9 years ago

Forgot to mention, put a rag under the stepper unit you're working on in case you drip some oil when breaking the parts loose. That way, it won't soak in and stain the plywood.

Steve

#201 9 years ago

LOL, yup, I'll be there when/if needed as a guide.

Steve

Quoted from ccotenj:

plus he has steve relatively close by if he really gets stuck...

#203 9 years ago

Not a problem Steve, it's easy to fix. I'm feeling a lot better now so anytime you want me to drop by for some help/guidance, give me a call.

Steve

#205 9 years ago

Steve has a 50/50 chance of getting it right the first time. If the game acts odd at reset, flip the contact fingers 180 degrees and it should be fine.

Steve

Nevermind, I was thinking about a different type of stepper.

#210 9 years ago

I have some time today Steve if you want me to look at it, just zip me a call.

Steve

#224 9 years ago

Steve .... I have spares of those wave washers too. Snag one from me and if/when the old one turns up, save it as stock. I'm not a big fan of using 600 grit on etched boards, the copper traces are thin enough as it is. I think a scotch brite pad will do the job without sanding away much material. The idea is to polish it clean, not sand it.

Steve

#226 9 years ago

No problem, glad to help if possible. I used to have about 20 of them floating around on the floor of my game room. I've been amazed where some of those C clips for the decagon units ended up as well, they can go a very long distance. Heck, I even found one inside the light globe on my ceiling fan. I still scratch my head on that one since it's supposed to be sealed. I can probably throw C clips at that fan for the rest of my life and never make one fall inside again.

Steve

Thanks for the offer of the spare spring washers, good for now, but something to consider ordering next time at PBR

#232 9 years ago

Looks like it is a coin unit, yep, the switch is supposed to be like that. IIRC, the switch opens after the 4th coin so no more coins will be taken.

Steve

#238 9 years ago

That's a bummer Steve, it played great while I was there. Games have a tendency to work good while I'm around and misbehave after I leave. It sounds like a drop target switch or a playfield score switch needs to be looked at. The new playfield rubber may have shifted a little and closed down a switch, that happens once in a while. Now that I think about it, I remember you bumping the game really hard and hearing some points score but it didn't keep going or do it during game play. I guess I should have looked for another issue but I didn't want to hog up all your troubleshooting fun.

Steve

#239 9 years ago

Just thought of another thing to look for. Make sure we put all the relay retaining clips back in place correctly on the relays we looked at. It could be that a relay shifted when the game was scooted back into it's parking space.

Steve

#253 9 years ago

Awesome! Let the fine tuning begin!

Steve

#255 9 years ago

More or less.

Steve

was I more or less correct with my very basic explanation above on how to diagnose with jumper wires?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball
Other
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider blownfuse.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/surf-champ-restore-help-will-be-needed?tu=blownfuse and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.