2014Dec07 056.JPG
image-568.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image-558.jpg
image-405.jpg
image.jpg
image-768.jpg
There are 256 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.
#201 9 years ago

LOL, yup, I'll be there when/if needed as a guide.

Steve

Quoted from ccotenj:

plus he has steve relatively close by if he really gets stuck...

#202 9 years ago

Got my first goof up to deal with. Went to clean the stepper in the backbox. I marked the two Bakelite discs as to what position they were in. Then I removed the one with the shoes and cleaned the rivets. Then I manually worked the stepper unit to see how it was functioning (not great, needs to be cleaned) then I went to put the Bakelite disc back on. Realized that this is a continuos stepper so I can't hit the plunger to have it go back, and who knows how many times I hit it.

Any way to figure out where "home" is? I realize there are basically only nine positions possible, three for each position rotated three times, but now my game is acting differently and when I hit start the score motor runs continually and stepper in the backbox keeps trying to advance but it's sticking. Going to try and clean it later tonight.

#203 9 years ago

Not a problem Steve, it's easy to fix. I'm feeling a lot better now so anytime you want me to drop by for some help/guidance, give me a call.

Steve

#204 9 years ago

If you need a picture of anything let me know and I can snap one from my machine

#205 9 years ago

Steve has a 50/50 chance of getting it right the first time. If the game acts odd at reset, flip the contact fingers 180 degrees and it should be fine.

Steve

Nevermind, I was thinking about a different type of stepper.

#206 9 years ago

Was this the Player Unit stepper? If so, then yes, there is a way to identify the 'zero' position again (it's also shown in the back of the operator manual, but may not be obvious from the diagram).

'Zero' is when the first and last cam switch stacks are both raised ('first' being the cam closest to the stepper, and 'last' being farthest away). The last cam is usually black, while the others are white.

So if you step it you'll notice the switch stacks raising in turn, and then there's a period where none raise, and then both the first and last switch stacks are raised. Stop there, that's zero.

Now, the wiper disc needs to be put on so that it lines up with the correct rivet.

Here are some pics from a '76 Pioneer that I think show the disc in the zero position (before disassembly and cleaning). Hopefully you took pics of yours before disassembly too though.

If the disc is off in alignment on the Player Unit, unfortunately it's not just a matter of reversing it, since both the wiper disc and cam orientation need to align.

2014Dec07 056.JPG2014Dec07 056.JPG 2014Dec07 058.JPG2014Dec07 058.JPG
#207 9 years ago

So I think I got it back the way it was. Sadly I didnt take a picture like a dummy, my phone was charging clear across the house and I figure marking the spot would be enough. At least I marked that spot though, it gave me a reference point as to where it was at one point. From there it was a process of elimination. I held the disc with the shoes in the marked position loosly and away from the disc with the rivets. Then I manually stepped the unit until the screw holes lined up ans then I would try it. This at least gave me a 33.3333% chance of being right. In one position the score motor started constantly turning, in another the something else started repeating over and over, in the last position I tried it more or less started behaving teh way it once did.

I can turn the game on and start a game, but once again it wont reset the score (which it did a couple of times) Cant add players, Wont end ball. It does now count bonus.

From now on my dumb ass will take pictures.

Also my apologies for not calling you back last night Steve, I didnt get home to look at it until after ten and didnt want to call so late.

#208 9 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

Cant add players, Wont end ball.

If you haven't, you're going to need to tighten switch stacks everywhere. Also, flexstone and adjust along the startup sequence and clean/adjust score reels. That gets a game going 90% of the time.

#209 9 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

That gets a game going 90% of the time.

Once it starts and resets consistently, then you can see what you need to address in the other playfield features. Don't get all over the map or you'll never be able to tell if you have fixed an issue because you are adding variables.

#210 9 years ago

I have some time today Steve if you want me to look at it, just zip me a call.

Steve

#211 9 years ago

Had a busy weekend, thats why I didnt give you a call Steve, but I may call in the calvalry soon. First I want to clean the score stepper units like you suggested, than all of teh stepper will at least have been cleaned. A little lost though as the best way to clean them, where to take them apart.

#212 9 years ago

And so I clean the same as others with the 3M pad, and use the super lube after?

#213 9 years ago

ever since stashyboy suggested using brasso to clean the rivets, i have been using that... then LIGHTLY lube the rivets with superlube...

#214 9 years ago

And so I clean the same as others with the 3M pad, and use the super lube after?

I alcohol wipe/Q-tip hard to reach spots, then use super fine sandpaper on rivets, then alcohol again, then super thin layer superlube on rivets

#215 9 years ago

Do I remove these covers by taking out the two screws and the C clip? This is what I'm talking about.

image.jpgimage.jpg
#216 9 years ago

take a couple minutes and watch videos 2 and 3 in this thread... they show you how to take them apart and put them together (h/t newmantnj).....

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/good-youtube-vid-for-decagon-score-reels#post-1059043

#217 9 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

take a couple minutes and watch videos 2 and 3 in this thread... they show you how to take them apart and put them together (h/t newmantnj).....
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/good-youtube-vid-for-decagon-score-reels#post-1059043

Great! Will watch them in a bit.

If it's not one thing it's another. Now the player one score resets, but now none of the switches score, nor do the flippers flip.

#218 9 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

then use super fine sandpaper on rivets,

600 grit??

edit-- nevermind, confirmed that 600 is good

#219 9 years ago

Ok two questions.

How aggressive do I want to get with the cleaning? This far enough? There's little spots of grey but I'm unsure how much I want to scrub. I'm putting alcohol on a rag, wiping around, then sanding with 600 grit.

Second. What's the little black round thing that's under the C clip in the second picture. Mine flew off upon removal and ten minutes of crawling around cannot locate it. How important and if I need to where can I get a replacement?

image.jpgimage.jpg image-362.jpgimage-362.jpg
#220 9 years ago

It's a spring washer and should be there to impart the proper pressure between the follower fingers and the circuit board. The Gottlieb part number is A-10703. Pinball Resource may have it by part number.

They are pretty common. You may very well be able to find a close replacement at your local hardware store. Use the washer that still exists on an adjacent score reel as a guide for the size to get.

And yes, your cleaning is spot on. Apply a bit of Super Lube to the finger path on that board before you put it back together.

#221 9 years ago

What's the little black round thing that's under the C clip

wave washer. Cleaning looks good to me. I put a tiny amount of superlube where contact is made on that as well.

#222 9 years ago

Ok two questions.
How aggressive do I want to get with the cleaning? This far enough? There's little spots of grey but I'm unsure how much I want to scrub. I'm putting alcohol on a rag, wiping around, then sanding with 600 grit.

A pencil eraser usually works well for cleaning bare copper like that too.

#223 9 years ago

You've cleaned the 'common' signal (inner circle) pretty well, but the outer traces for the individual 0-9 signals may not be clean where the wiper arm contact travels. Might want to broaden the cleaning zone out a bit more. Then put a thin coat of SuperLube on the traces where the arm travels.

The small wave washer is needed. Keep looking. (A bright light, and a magnet sometimes helps.)

#224 9 years ago

Steve .... I have spares of those wave washers too. Snag one from me and if/when the old one turns up, save it as stock. I'm not a big fan of using 600 grit on etched boards, the copper traces are thin enough as it is. I think a scotch brite pad will do the job without sanding away much material. The idea is to polish it clean, not sand it.

Steve

#225 9 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

It's a spring washer and should be there to impart the proper pressure between the follower fingers and the circuit board. The Gottlieb part number is A-10703. Pinball Resource may have it by part number.
They are pretty common. You may very well be able to find a close replacement at your local hardware store. Use the washer that still exists on an adjacent score reel as a guide for the size to get.
And yes, your cleaning is spot on. Apply a bit of Super Lube to the finger path on that board before you put it back together.

Quoted from Wickerman2:

wave washer. Cleaning looks good to me. I put a tiny amount of superlube where contact is made on that as well.

Thank you both, especially for the parts info. I did FINALLY find it after crawling around another ten minutes, then I promptly dropped a clip which took another ten minutes.

I used the super lube as well.

Quoted from Jvspin:

A pencil eraser usually works well for cleaning bare copper like that too.

Good tip!

Quoted from DirtFlipper:

You've cleaned the 'common' signal (inner circle) pretty well, but the outer traces for the individual 0-9 signals may not be clean where the wiper arm contact travels. Might want to broaden the cleaning zone out a bit more. Then put a thin coat of SuperLube on the traces where the arm travels.
The small wave washer is needed. Keep looking. (A bright light, and a magnet sometimes helps.)

I noticed this too and made my cleaning area bigger. Thanks for that tip though.

Quoted from blownfuse:

I'm not a big fan of using 600 grit on etched boards, the copper traces are thin enough as it is. I think a scotch brite pad will do the job without sanding away much material. The idea is to polish it clean, not sand it.
Steve

Fine by me, I would rather use the 3M sponge. I already did all of the score steppers for the first player with the sand paper though. Thanks for the offer of the spare spring washers, good for now, but something to consider ordering next time at PBR

#226 9 years ago

No problem, glad to help if possible. I used to have about 20 of them floating around on the floor of my game room. I've been amazed where some of those C clips for the decagon units ended up as well, they can go a very long distance. Heck, I even found one inside the light globe on my ceiling fan. I still scratch my head on that one since it's supposed to be sealed. I can probably throw C clips at that fan for the rest of my life and never make one fall inside again.

Steve

Thanks for the offer of the spare spring washers, good for now, but something to consider ordering next time at PBR

#227 9 years ago

Going to take one more run at my problem solo before calling in the cavalry (AKA Blownfuse).

I cleaned the first and second player score steppers and still have the same issues, three and four getting done this afternoon.

The issues as they stand.

Game will let you start one player, but no others.

All score reels will now reset if I step them up to have a score on them.

Now however the game once it resets will not score, none of the switches, flippers or pops work. Previously this was reversed, game would score and not reset.

Any ideas or should I just get Blownfuse over here?

#228 9 years ago

Now however the game once it resets will not score, none of the switches, flippers or pops work. Previously this was reversed, game would score and not reset.

Maybe hold/tilt relays?

Game will let you start one player, but no others.

Maybe AX relay and/or player unit.

Any ideas or should I just get Blownfuse over here?

Probably

#229 9 years ago

Score steppers all cleaned, after dropping a clip AGAIN nd looking for twenty minutes. I went down to the hardware store and bought ten of them and now I have a white sheet under my work area if I drop anything else.

Will look at the hold/tilt relays and the AX relay and player unit tonight after dinner. That is if my son doesnt take 2 hours to get to sleep again tonight!

#230 9 years ago

after dropping a clip AGAIN nd looking for twenty minutes. I went down to the hardware store and bought ten of them and now I have a white sheet under my work area if I drop anything else.

Not to worry practicalsteve I reckon I spend at least 50% of my time looking for things!!!

#231 9 years ago

Is this switch supposed to be bent like this? Also is this the coin stepper or player stepper? It's in the bottom of the cabinet right in front of the relay banks

image.jpgimage.jpg image-491.jpgimage-491.jpg
#232 9 years ago

Looks like it is a coin unit, yep, the switch is supposed to be like that. IIRC, the switch opens after the 4th coin so no more coins will be taken.

Steve

#233 9 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

Looks like it is a coin unit, yep, the switch is supposed to be like that. IIRC, the switch opens after the 4th coin so no more coins will be taken.
Steve

Thanks Steve. I'm going to give you a call tomorrow. I have the game now intermittently adding more players. Something between the start button and the coin unit is being flaky. Seems like about 60% of the time I hit start to add a player it does. Turning in tonight though.

#234 9 years ago

Is this switch supposed to be bent like this?

Each time you add a player, that should step up until that peg opens that switch at player 4...It shouldn't be bent--should be straight and get hit by peg after 4th player added. It may have been bent to make up for some maladjustment in the unit maybe? Not sure, but mine is dead straight and opens at player 4.

#235 9 years ago

Cavalry called in, Blownfuse coming by tonight to take a look. I will report back on all the mistakes I made that he finds and all of the things I missed.

#236 9 years ago

Big huge thanks to Blownfuse for helping me with my Surf Champ! I learned a lot about reading schematics tonight, tomorrow I am going to the hardware store to buy two jumper wires! He would have had the thing fixed in about ten minutes if he wasn't being so nice as to explain things and show me what's up. There were switch problems in quite a few places that I don't know if I would have figured them out on my own ever. Plus it was really great to have someone over to talk pinball with for a couple of hours.

Sadly the victory is short lived though, as I went down to play a few victory games and a new issue arises. I think (hope) it's an easy one. The score started running up on its own. This would lead me to believe that there is just a stuck switch somewhere constantly scoring.

Going to turn in for the night. Still had a blast and my pin is a million miles closer to being 100% now.

image.jpgimage.jpg
#237 9 years ago

The score started running up on its own.

Could be stuck--or gapped too close playfield feature. See how much the score is going up by(increment) and look at playfield and the relays in the cabinet.

#238 9 years ago

That's a bummer Steve, it played great while I was there. Games have a tendency to work good while I'm around and misbehave after I leave. It sounds like a drop target switch or a playfield score switch needs to be looked at. The new playfield rubber may have shifted a little and closed down a switch, that happens once in a while. Now that I think about it, I remember you bumping the game really hard and hearing some points score but it didn't keep going or do it during game play. I guess I should have looked for another issue but I didn't want to hog up all your troubleshooting fun.

Steve

#239 9 years ago

Just thought of another thing to look for. Make sure we put all the relay retaining clips back in place correctly on the relays we looked at. It could be that a relay shifted when the game was scooted back into it's parking space.

Steve

#240 9 years ago

Thanks Steve, I will only have a few minutes this afternoon to give it a look, but those are all great places to start. One other thing, when it happened it sounded like there was a loud buzz in the backbox if that clues you it anything.

Hey, at least I know it can work now right? Again, thank you so much, for the advice and for the good company.

#241 9 years ago

How it is adding score will direct you what to look at.

If 500 points constantly then most probably it is a drop target switch.

If random single increments that do not lock the score relay or score reel on without continuing then a very close playfield switch would be the most probably culprit.

If you can't diagnose it get us more clues/evidence of exactly what it is doing.

#242 9 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

How it is adding score will direct you what to look at.
If 500 points constantly then most probably it is a drop target switch.
If random single increments that do not lock the score relay or score reel on without continuing then a very close playfield switch would be the most probably culprit.
If you can't diagnose it get us more clues/evidence of exactly what it is doing.

Good advice. I was so dead tired that as soon as it started last night I just flipped it off without looking for even a minute. Will have a few minutes this afternoon to look closer. Like Blownfuse said this got all new rubber so I have a feeling it's a playfield switch that needs a better gap.

#243 9 years ago

I learned a lot about reading schematics tonight, tomorrow I am going to the hardware store to buy two jumper wires!

Just curious, what did you have to fix with the jumper wires?

Sadly, mine still has many, many issues. I started working from the top of the list at pinrepair.com. I checked the steppers and now I'm cleaning and checking the score reels. At first I thought one of my always on coils was burned out, it looks pretty toasty, but now I'm not sure...

Is there anyone in Los Angeles who knows this game well?

#244 9 years ago
Quoted from bailorgana:

Just curious, what did you have to fix with the jumper wires?

didn't really fix anything per say, he showed me how with the jumper wires and the schematic you can systematically diagnose a problem. I will get the facts wrong but here's the jist of it. My apologies in advance to Blownfuse for butchering this explanation.

We weren't getting the coin unit to step up and add players. he found the coin unit on the schematic. The power was being fed from a red/white wire to everything. He placed a jumper on the red/white of the bounce tilt switch which was on the same path that had the power. we used the other end of the jumper on the coil and it fired, so that worked and wasn't the issue. the schematic told us that the red/white wire was the hot one that fed it power. then we looked at the first stop in the chain. I don't have the schematic in front of me so this is not accurate, but lets say its the U relay, and its a red/blue wire in and red/green wire out. So we looked for the switch on the U relay with those colors. We then touched the jumper still connected to the juice line on both sides and it did not want to fire, so the problem was the switch. Cleaned the switch and adjusted and that was the problem.

I almost don't want to write that in fear of having gotten it wrong. Please correct me if I am wrong.

#245 9 years ago

I want to add that looking at the switch with the problem it looked perfectly adjusted. I never would have realized it needed cleaning and adjusting without using the schematic and the jumper.

#246 9 years ago

I want to add that looking at the switch with the problem it looked perfectly adjusted. I never would have realized it needed cleaning and adjusting without using the schematic and the jumper.

One of the steps in pinrepair.com is cleaning the switches. However, I also think he specifically says newbies shouldn't probably do it as you risk messing up all the gaps.

#247 9 years ago
Quoted from bailorgana:

One of the steps in pinrepair.com is cleaning the switches. However, I also think he specifically says newbies shouldn't probably do it as you risk messing up all the gaps.

Exactly, from what I gathered you don't want to go in and clean ALL the switches if you are new to it, that's why narrowing down the problem to that one was helpful.

#248 9 years ago

First I tighten the switch stacks down because the bakelite spacers shrink.

Then I clean ALL of the switches when I go through a game.

After the switches in a relay or stack are cleaned they are all inspected for proper gap and wipe and only adjusted if necessary.

Even with experience there will be a couple that still don't make even though they looked competent.

#249 9 years ago

Well I found the sneaky bastard, first one I checked, working great now!

Thanks everyone for all of the help and advice, I really learned a lot!

image.jpgimage.jpg
#250 9 years ago

Nice...love the simple solutions. So is it 100% now?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

There are 256 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/surf-champ-restore-help-will-be-needed/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.