2014Dec07 056.JPG
image-568.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image-558.jpg
image-405.jpg
image.jpg
image-768.jpg

There are 256 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.
#1 9 years ago

Every dog has his day, mine was yesterday. Saw an ad yesterday for a Surf Champ on Craigslist. emailed the seller within twenty minutes, was off work shortly after that and said I would be there straight away with cash in hand and wouldnt even haggle. Got it for $150 and couldnt be more thrilled. I have never played the four player version to my knowledge, but have played Surfer at the PACIFIC pinball museum a ton and its in my top five.

Not asking for technical advice YET, only because the head is in my gameroom/workspace and the cabinet in the garage until I get someone to help me haul it downstairs. But heres a rundown. It turned on, a one player game would start, but the score would not reset, although you could add to the score already there. You could not add aditional players. It flipped and chimed.

Heres some pics of the head and playfield.

IMG_0249-999.JPGIMG_0249-999.JPG IMG_0246-455.jpgIMG_0246-455.jpg IMG_0265-61.JPGIMG_0265-61.JPG IMG_0266-343.JPGIMG_0266-343.JPG IMG_0267-164.JPGIMG_0267-164.JPG IMG_0270.JPGIMG_0270.JPG
#2 9 years ago

Here you can see the other noticable problem. The Dixie cup mod is not staying. Under the playfield revealed the coil missin and burnt in the bottom of the cabinet.

My new years resolution was to finally do a pop bumper rebuild, this forces that!

IMG_0269.JPGIMG_0269.JPG
IMG_0277.JPGIMG_0277.JPG

#3 9 years ago

Nice example, especially for the money! I'm hoping to get mine playing soon, and should be able to try to help with basic stuff once I dig out my schematic.

#4 9 years ago

A few more pics of underneath the playfield, and the cabinet. The right side has unfortunately seen better days.

IMG_0274.JPGIMG_0274.JPG IMG_0275.JPGIMG_0275.JPG IMG_0278.JPGIMG_0278.JPG IMG_0280.JPGIMG_0280.JPG IMG_0281.JPGIMG_0281.JPG IMG_0282.JPGIMG_0282.JPG
#5 9 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

Nice example, especially for the money! I'm hoping to get mine playing soon, and should be able to try to help with basic stuff once I dig out my schematic.

Thanks! I am sure I will need it!

#6 9 years ago

Also, doesn't look like you need it, but Pinball Resource had repro plastics available as of a few weeks ago.

#7 9 years ago

Ok I guess I will ask one quick question. I am hoping to be able to ultrasonically clean the flipper bats well enough to keep them.

If I can't, are there replacments at PBR? Also, I have never seen flipper rubbers that thin, if I order a rubber ring kit from PBR do they come in that size with it?

IMG_0273.JPGIMG_0273.JPG
#8 9 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

Also, doesn't look like you need it, but Pinball Resource had repro plastics available as of a few weeks ago.

I saw that, but yeah mine look pretty good. Good tip though!

#9 9 years ago

Damn nice find. Would love to have one. I for one like the 4 players, most don't, that's cool, more for me!

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

I am hoping to be able to ultrasonically clean the flipper bats well enough to keep them.

Krud Kutter and Magic Eraser will clean those up nicely (removed from the game first of course).

If I can't, are there replacments at PBR?

Yes. And inexpensive too.

if I order a rubber ring kit from PBR do they come in that size with it?

Yes they do.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

Damn nice find. Would love to have one. I for one like the 4 players, most don't, that's cool, more for me!

I dont think I have ever had to deal with such a heavy back box!

Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Krud Kutter and Magic Eraser will clean those up nicely (removed from the game first of course).

Krud Kutter same as purple power?

Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Yes. And inexpensive too.

Good to know! The problem with ordering parts sometimes is how MANY inexpensive things you end up buying!

Perfect.

#12 9 years ago

Check out my flood damaged Surf Champ restoration from last year:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flood-damaged-surf-champ-restoration

Pinball Resource has the correct flipper bats for just $1.95

http://www.pbresource.com/flippers.html#3in

#13 9 years ago

That machine is babe-a-licious!

If I were you, I would just start cleaning the hell out of everything. Cabinet, plastics, playfield, hardware.

Then, take it slow, and let your cash-flow guide you.

#14 9 years ago

Ive got a Surfer I need to get off of the restoration pile...

#15 9 years ago

Wow great purchase practicalsteve-I envy you!!

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Check out my flood damaged Surf Champ restoration from last year:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flood-damaged-surf-champ-restoration

Wow! That's an amazing job! Mine wont be nearly as nice, but hope to get close. You are an artist when it comes to restores.

Quoted from KenLayton:

Pinball Resource has the correct flipper bats for just $1.95

http://www.pbresource.com/flippers.html#3in

Ok, wow that is cheap. I may just buy new at that price.

Quoted from iron00monkey:

If I were you, I would just start cleaning the hell out of everything. Cabinet, plastics, playfield, hardware.

Then, take it slow, and let your cash-flow guide you.

That's the plan. cleaning first so I know what parts I may need to order and then put it back together and work on making it work. That's why I am not really asking for any help on the technical issues yet, its going to be a few weeks until I get to those.

Quoted from pinhead52:

Ive got a Surfer I need to get off of the restoration pile...

Join the fun!

Quoted from wayner:

Wow great purchase practicalsteve-I envy you!!

Every dog has his day, mine was Tuesday.

#17 9 years ago

Krud Kutter same as purple power?

No, but probably any cleaner + ME will get the job done (as long as it doesn't dissolve the plastic). New ones are super cheap though. And once the rubber has been compromised, the flipper plastics are often cracked anyway.

#18 9 years ago

I got one for free awhile back and gave it to my brother-in-law. We plan on restoring it together. I am going to favorite this so we can come back and look at what all you did. Are stencils available for this game?

Our technical issues sound Identical so far.

Your backglass is waaay better than mine!

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from futurepinhead:

I got one for free awhile back and gave it to my brother-in-law. We plan on restoring it together. I am going to favorite this so we can come back and look at what all you did. Are stencils available for this game?
Our technical issues sound Identical so far.
Your backglass is waaay better than mine!

Well free certainly beats my deal!

I have not looked into stencils so far, to be honest, I never really care about cabinets when it comes to pins as long as they are structurally sound. The damage to the right side wont be very visible next to my other pin. But who knows, maybe if I get it looking good enough I will try that, although I don't really have any equipment or space to restore a cabinet.

I opened up the back box last night to take a look at the glass, it is nearly perfect! there is some very slight bubbling where it says players 1234, but other than that the glass is practically flawless and the score reels are still nice and white as well. Its funny how nice the head looks compared to the cab, almost like a new one was put on at some point.

I was also thrilled to see that you can set the game to award an extra ball instead of a free game! That is a huge bonus in my book as I prefer add a ball to a free game since my game is already free.

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
#21 9 years ago

Krud Kutter + ME will also clean that up. (But it will also wipe off the ink-stamped serial number, so be sure to work around that.)

#22 9 years ago

Gonna have to find some of this krud cutter. What do you typically use it on, and what should I avoid? I will be sure to avoid the serial number.

#23 9 years ago

It seems to be OK with paint, but I don't use it on anything with ink. And even on paint, I don't let it sit very long. I use it to degrease parts, as an after-rinse following cleaning stuff with Goop or CLR, and at other points in the process. But I do complete teardowns/rebuilds when I do games, so I'm usually working with disassembled, individual piece parts.

Here's an example of using it on a cab though:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/krud-kutter-and-magic-eraser-did-the-trick-on-this-em-cab

Best to experiment on inconspicuous spots first, YMMV. It's just one of several potions and elixirs that cut the time way down and provide improved results (at least for me).

#24 9 years ago

I opened up the back box last night to take a look at the glass, it is nearly perfect! there is some very slight bubbling where it says players 1234, but other than that the glass is practically flawless

IMHO, I would seal that backglass with Krylon Triple-thick crystal clear glaze #0500 to prevent any more flaking/paint loss. I usually apply one heavy coat followed by a couple lighter coats reversing direction each time. Follow manufacturer's instructions.

Oh, forgot to mention if you haven't done it before, cut card stock, etc., to cover your score reel and replay windows - place a weight (washer, coin, etc.) on top of each one.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/krud-kutter-and-magic-eraser-did-the-trick-on-this-em-cab

Best to experiment on inconspicuous spots first, YMMV. It's just one of several potions and elixirs that cut the time way down and provide improved results (at least for me).

looks nice! I have had great results with "Krazy Kleen" so far, except on that blood/paint.

Quoted from hoov:

IMHO, I would seal that backglass with Krylon Triple-thick crystal clear glaze #0500 to prevent any more flaking/paint loss. I usually apply one heavy coat followed by a couple lighter coats reversing direction each time. Follow manufacturer's instructions.

Oh, forgot to mention if you haven't done it before, cut card stock, etc., to cover your score reel and replay windows - place a weight (washer, coin, etc.) on top of each one.

That may be in order, I will probably tackle that later after getting it running, I will be sure to read up on the process.

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

That looks great..going to try that...no paint loss?

#27 9 years ago

Nope. But like with anything, if you scrub long enough and hard enough, you can get paint off. I try to just wipe, not scrub, but will scrub on anything stubborn that doesn't just dissolve. I spend maybe 60 seconds on a side. It's quick.

#28 9 years ago

Nice score steve !!! what a perrty game

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from pinwillie:

Nice score steve !!! what a perrty game

Thanks dude!

#30 9 years ago

Try some isopropyl rubbing alcohol on that dried blood.

#31 9 years ago

Although it does look like someone bled out on the top of my cabinet! Have not found a cleaner strong enough to remove it yet! May try a magic eraser next. Will not be visible when it's back on top of the game, but still kind of gross! Self tilting it in case someone does not wish to see it.

image-330.jpg 329 KB

That is the machine's blood!

How else is it supposed to slurp its user's life-force?

*edit -
just let me know if my super-obvious advice, and dumb jokes are too much...
but, damn, that is a super-beautiful machine!

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Try some isopropyl rubbing alcohol on that dried blood.

will try that tonight. Magic eraser didnt do much.

Quoted from iron00monkey:

That is the machine's blood!
How else is it supposed to slurp its user's life-force?
*edit -
just let me know if my super-obvious advice, and dumb jokes are too much...
but, damn, that is a super-beautiful machine!

No way, any and all advice or commentary are welcome.

#33 9 years ago

Had a chance to further examine the pop bumper remnants in the bottom of the cabinet. The large bracket looks good, the small one still attached to the pop bumper does not. Where I circled in yellow it's bent. Obviously the solenoid is garbage too. Is anything else salvageable where I pointed in blue? I could not see a way to even remove them.

image-369.jpgimage-369.jpg image-638.jpgimage-638.jpg image-928.jpgimage-928.jpg
#34 9 years ago

IF you want to spend 2 hours removing the coil from the rod...there is the U metal bracket, the fiber collar, the metal collar. Hack saw to cut the collar

PBR sells most of this, you'll need coil, coil stop etc

coll.JPGcoll.JPG...

#35 9 years ago

Those are all salvageable. The coil likely just overheated, causing the coil sleeve to shrink onto the plunger solid. Once you get the plunger extracted from the coil, the stuff will clean up. If the plunger bracket has a small bend in it, just straighten it out. Will need a new coil and sleeve though.

#36 9 years ago

And the coil stop is stuck in the other end of the sleeve too. Easier to get that out first, then just tap out the plunger.

Using a bench vise to hold stuff helps.

#37 9 years ago

Seeing how much this stuff costs to replace on PBR it seems like the easier way to go. Except that I didn't see the U metal bracket in the pop bumper section.

#38 9 years ago

And here's another angle of it

image-448.jpgimage-448.jpg
#39 9 years ago

Seeing how much this stuff costs to replace on PBR it seems like the easier way to go

I buy the rebuild kits--replace all that stuff as long as you have it apart

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Krud Kutter + ME will also clean that up

Works great. Spent 30 mins doing a few passes on my Atlantis...brightened it right up

#41 9 years ago

I found the metal U bracket on Marcos site, I would rather get everything from PBR but I know how it is, you can never get everything in one spot. Im not ready to order anyway until I pull everything off the playfield, then I figure I will email Steve Young and hopefully he has the part and its just not listed on the site.

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

And the coil stop is stuck in the other end of the sleeve too. Easier to get that out first, then just tap out the plunger.
Using a bench vise to hold stuff helps.

Ok, I see now, there is a coil stop stuck into the end of the plunger in the last photo, had to look at it a couple of times before I realized something was jammed in there. I will try my best later to get it all seperated and at least salvage that bracket since it will be like $10 with shipping from Marcos when just about everything else I need will be at PBR.

#43 9 years ago

It may be melted onto the shaft.

If you are desperate...I just found these in my parts bin.

20150131_212338.jpg20150131_212338.jpg

#44 9 years ago

PBR will have the u bracket. It is not listed because it is not a common wear part. I have never had to replace one.

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

It may be melted onto the shaft.
If you are desperate...I just found these in my parts bin.

20150131_212338.jpg 378 KB

Quoted from MikeO:

PBR will have the u bracket. It is not listed because it is not a common wear part. I have never had to replace one.

Thanks! Since the parts are cheap and I need a whole bunch of stuff from PBR anyway I am going to go ahead and try and get that U bracket from them like MikeO says they shoudl have. If they dont have that bracket, I may ask to buy that one off of you.

#46 9 years ago

Gawd, Ive seen a bunch of SC's lately. Here's a serious project for some one...

littlerock.craigslist.org link

#47 9 years ago

Steve, when you start troubleshooting it, if you get stuck and need help, let me know and I'll drop in for a visit. I can fix those EM's easily, it's what I was brought up on. I also have a lot of extra EM parts over here.

Steve

#48 9 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

Gawd, Ive seen a bunch of SC's lately. Here's a serious project for some one...

Someone offer $100. Bet that paint will scrub off...looks like a house paint job. Hit it with some goo gone

#49 9 years ago

I hate to say it but I gave a SC away a while back just to get it out of my way. My buddy still has it, his wife wanted it. He's now separated, I bet/think I can get it back.

Steve

#50 9 years ago

If they dont have that bracket, I may ask to buy that one off of you.

Quoted from blownfuse:

I also have a lot of extra EM parts over here.

There you go. Someone mildly local stepping up if needed. I have several of the u brackets you talk about, just that I'm halfway across the country. But PBR should have it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball
Other
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 256 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/surf-champ-restore-help-will-be-needed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.