• Latest reply 6 years ago by TMU
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0Surf-Champ-Work-21 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

I just got my first EM (!), Gottlieb’s fab and rad Surf Champ. It wont reset correctly, been trying to figure it out, but I’m a novice, running out of ideas, and could use your insights.

The machine goes through the reset sequence almost as it should (score wheels reset fine, coin unit resets, player unit advances correctly etc), but there are a couple of clear problems:

-The game over relay Q stays pulled in, and so the Game Over light on the backbox turns on after reset, and the ball won’t kick out.

-The 3rd and 4th player scoreboard lights are *always* on, while 1st and 2rd scoreboards flash on in sequence during reset normally.

I’ve checked the relay switches, cleaned and adjusted them thoroughly, specifically the AX, BX, Q, U, Z1, Z2, cleaned the score reels that were sluggish and adjusted the 0 and 9 switches correctly.

Here’s the reset sequence for Surf Champ according to the manual: http://user.xmission.com/~daina/tips/pub/tip0456.html

Most recently I suspected something was going on with the player unit, and did the measurements for continuity according to this troubleshooting guide: http://www.planetimming.com/Pinball/troubleshooting/Player%20Unit%20Troubleshooting.pdf, everything checks fine except the second batch of measurements, after player 1, ball 3 position. The guide is for Spirit of 76, so I don’t know if it’s fully relevant for Surf Champ.

I have the schematics, but can’t read ‘em. :/

I’d really appreciate your help!

#2 6 years ago

Hi TMU
what is Your R-Hold-Relay doing ? You toggle-on the pin --- You press the Replay-Button to start a game --- NOW the R-Hold-Relay MUST pull-in and stay pulling until You toggle-off the Pin --- and in YOUR Pin ?

IF (if, if) the R-Hold-Relay DOES stay pulling: Inspect the three-bladed (Make-and-Brake-Switch) on R-Hold-Relay. Contact-points clean ? Wires soldered-on ? Gapped correct (opening one part and closing the other part when the relay is pulling-in) ? Greetings Rolf

0Surf-Champ-Work-21 (resized).jpg0Surf-Champ-Work-21 (resized).jpg

#3 6 years ago

Thanks Rolf! I checked the R relay again, there were no problems, but I found the culprit! Turns out a switch on the AX had been resoldered carelessly, and a speck of the solder was left on the switch, connecting two wires permanently. I scratched the solder off, and it goes through the reset!

Ofcourse there's another problem, that is the Tilt hold H relay coil is weak and keeps releasing on it's own, so the machine tilts, but the coil looks burnt and probably replacing it will cure that.

#4 6 years ago

I'd check the switches that make the Tilt Hold relay hold before spending money on a new coil.

#5 6 years ago

Pull a wire off the lug and Test the Tilt Coil with A DMM. Under 5 ohms and it is shot.

#6 6 years ago

Coil was good, just had to clean the switches. Thanks guys. See my other post for the next problem

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/surf-champ-reset-trouble-game-over-relay-stays-energized and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.