1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Coin unit (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fixintoplay.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

I'm stumped on this issue. When I hit credit/start button once, plays fine, full game, every time for player 1. But when I try to get more than one player at the start of a game, there's no action. So I lifted the playfield and manually activated the start relay, and it advanced nicely to 2, 3 and 4 players, then plays fine for all 4 players. I studied the schematic but just can't see where the problem might be. I did service the player stepper, and it works cleanly. Thanks for any hints.

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from DaMoib:

Yes, that U switch is closed for the first player and is opened when AX trips during first player reset. Look up a little further on the schematic for the U make/break switch - it trips AX (and resets the coin unit) for the 1st player's reset and then flips to increment the coin unit on player 2-4 additions.
The 3rd Pos Coin Unit switch is not guaranteed to be closed when starting a new game - the previous game could've been 4 players and the coin unit does not get reset until the first player is added for the new game.

Thanks DaMoib. I'll have a close look at that 3rd Pos Coin Unit switch today (if I can locate it.) Never would have thought of that just by reading the schematic.

#7 1 year ago

This is strange. The contacts on that switch were closed very snug and tight thru the 3 cycles (1-3 player) and they separate as they should into the 4th player mode. As such, that switch evaded my initial suspicion as the culprit because, mechanically, it worked fine. So I cleaned the contacts well and tried again. Lo and behold, all 4-player functions returned to normal. So much for the theory of self-wiping, self-cleaning contacts. Never assume anything in EM troubleshooting. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

The theory is true but sometimes gunk, oil, grease or just plain old dust can get on the points, especially if somebody sprayed WD40 or whatever on the unit and then it would attract even more crud. Crocus cloth would clean that kind of stuff off without really filing the points, it polishes them vs filing.

Crocus cloth? That's a new one for me. Thanks. BTW, I should have added in my last post that this issue was silent for over 18 months because: a) it was in storage for over a year, and b) since it was re-activated a few weeks ago, I don't think any games were played beyond one-player. So today, after the fix, I ran the game through rigorous paces: five 4-player games (with the glass off), triggered all functions to get all 4 score reels to turn over several times. All functions performed perfectly. No hiccups anywhere. For EMs, I think this is an exercise and physical therapy that should be performed on a regular basis, especially if they sit for long periods. Play it!

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

I've found that if you fix up an EM right, in home use it'll nearly make you wish something would break like a snapped drop target or a chipped pop bumper skirt just so you have something to do other than play it.

That says it all for me. Just as happy fixin' as playin'. Hence my screen name.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fixintoplay.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/surf-champ-one-player-only?tu=fixintoplay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.