Surf Champ - Never ending ball one.

By practicalsteve

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Going to try and lay this out best I can.

Player two lamps on backglass were not working, so via the schematics I traced the problem to the BX relay. did some adjusting in there (of course like an idiot I figure lets adjust all the switches) now the light works but I have a never ending ball one. Ball drains and kicks out but does not register bonus or move to ball two.

I notice that when I trigger the AX relay with my finger it looks like the BX tries to pull in but doesn't. the little plastic clip underneath moves but the switches dont. what did I do with my fat fingers? Worked fine until BX relay was messed with.

Thanks in advance!

#2 8 years ago

that's the essence of EM/pinball repair right there...a 2 minute quick adjust causes some cascade effect...I'm assuming you just got the BX out of whack? No clue.

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

that's the essence of EM/pinball repair right there...a 2 minute quick adjust causes some cascade effect...I'm assuming you just got the BX out of whack? No clue.

what I am assuming as well. Maybe you can at least answer this, should the BX click and hold open when activated? when I trigger the AX with my finger it gives a little "click" and holds open. Should the BX do the same? Mine does not really want to do that.

#4 8 years ago

there is a 1st ball relay that pulls in once you score something. Make sure its activating otherwise the game does not move on to ball two. 1st ball activated off of one of the scoring relays, M N L etc

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

there is a 1st ball relay that pulls in once you score something. Make sure its activating otherwise the game does not move on to ball two. 1st ball activated off of one of the scoring relays, M N L etc

Grrrrr, finicky EM machines.

So I started a game and watched the U relay (first ball relay) it did not pull in so I gave it a push with my finger. Now the game will register the end of each ball except when it gets to the fifth ball then the score motor just endlessly turns after the final ball drains.

I made NO adjustments to the U relay other than to give it a little nudge and get it going. Trying to avoid adjusting random switches

#6 8 years ago

When Ball 5 is reached for the last player, the BX relay needs to energize and latch (after it latches, it then denergizes, staying latched via the locked armature plate).

BX activates via a normally closed switch on F, a switch closing on U, the Player Unit wiper disc sitting on the rivet for the last ball for the last player, and a switch closing on O.

Once BX is latched, a switch there is open which prevents the Player Unit from stepping again (which will keep it from stepping back around to another player for a next ball).

But, a switch on BX also needs to close to complete the path to the Q relay, to reach the Game Over state.

So first thing is to make sure BX is energizing and latching on the last ball, and then to also make sure the switches properly close in the latched state, so the Game Over path can complete (to the Q relay).

You can see the path to BX at around 16E on your schematic, and the path to Q at around 14E.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

the BX relay needs to energize and latch (after it latches, it then denergizes, staying latched via the locked armature plate).

Thank you for the thorough explanation. I think this may be my problem. The AX relay (when I manually move it with my finger) gives this little click and stays engaged, then if you press the little clip beneath it, it clicks back and then disengages. It seems as if my BX should do that as well but is kinda jammed. I see it try and engage during operations, but it just kinda moves really quick and does not stay engaged.

So should the BX when engaged hold open with that little clip beneath?

#8 8 years ago

BX should operate just like AX; they are both interlock style relays. The armature plates click back and forth, one latching in the other.

If BX isn't able to latch/unlatch manually, then yeah, that's a problem.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

engaged hold open with that little clip beneath?

That "clip" can get gunk on it built up as well--beyond being adjusted correctly

#10 8 years ago

Grrrrr, finicky EM machines.
So I started a game and watched the U relay (first ball relay) it did not pull in so I gave it a push with my finger. Now the game will register the end of each ball except when it gets to the fifth ball then the score motor just endlessly turns after the final ball drains.
I made NO adjustments to the U relay other than to give it a little nudge and get it going. Trying to avoid adjusting random switches

Looking at my surfer diagram...there is an AX contact in the path to U so you could have messed with its operation...

#11 8 years ago

that little clip beneath?

Those can also get seated kind of crooked preventing movement

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

That "clip" can get gunk on it built up as well--beyond being adjusted correctly

Quoted from Wickerman2:

Those can also get seated kind of crooked preventing movement

ok going to look at that first as that is obviously a problem. wont be able to report back for a while.

Quoted from pinhead52:

Looking at my surfer diagram...there is an AX contact in the path to U so you could have messed with its operation...

May have bumped that, seems that U is working fine now, but if continues I will reexamine the AX relay. The problem should be isolated to the AX or BX relay as those are the only two areas I have done any fudging with.

#13 8 years ago

Took a look at one of Clays videos where he showed how to adjust these relays. Saw a part where you dont get that snap unless the long blades are creating enough tension to pull the switch plate back. Going to investigate this further later today possibly tomorrow. Thanks for all the help so far, I will report back.

#14 8 years ago

Seems to be fixed, of course the damn second player lamps I was trying to fix in the first place are out again.

It was the switches being very misadjusted that did it. I followed Clays advice in the video where you need to adjust the long blades away from the relay to make sure they pull the switch plate back properly giving it that back and forth click open and shut. The info pertinent to this is at about 2:54 in the video below.

Thanks to everyone for the help!

#15 8 years ago

second player lamps I was trying to fix in the first place are out again.

Are you sure it's not an intermittent socket issue? Those sockets kind of suck, get corroded/dirty/loose solder etc.

#16 8 years ago

It's all five bulbs that light up the player two score reels. Schematics traced it back to a switch on BX which fixed it the first time I adjusted, it was all the other adjustments I made that fouled it all up. I will go back and fix the lights soon. After putting the glass back on and noticing them out again I said to hell with it for now and revisit it in a few days.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/surf-champ-never-ending-ball-one and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.