2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by newmantjn
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

plunger 1 (resized).jpg
    plunger (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    #1 2 years ago

Hello, Now that the temps are getting a little cooler I wanted to start working on my Surf Champ. The score reels need some cleaning as the tens unit on the 2nd player sometimes sticks and I have to manually reset it back to 0. What I wanted to ask the group though was how do I troubleshoot the knocker? Ever since I bought the game I have never heard it go off. Here is a snippet of the schematic. I'm still learning how to read them so its still confusing for me. I do have some alligator clips and was hoping I could somehow jump it to see if the solenoid is firing. Thanks!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #2 2 years ago

First thing to check is to make sure there is a plunger in the coil and it's moving freely. Check to see if the plastic white tip is broken off the plunger. Next, see if there is a rubber grommet on the bottom of the bracket that it is resting on.
    You don't want the plunger to be sitting on the metal frame directly. Check to see if you are getting power to the coil. Ohm out the coil.

#3 2 years ago

Plunger resting on the rubber grommet & the other end with the white plastic tip.

plunger (resized).jpgplunger (resized).jpgplunger 1 (resized).jpgplunger 1 (resized).jpg
    #4 2 years ago

I would give it a quick mechanical check.

Then I would jumper the two lugs to the 25v on the transformer. (just touch the leads). If if knocks, you know the problem is electrical.

Then, start jumper all from the RED/White wire past all the NC switches on the Motor and activate the replay relay. If it knocks, the problem is in those switches. If it doesn't the problem is in the replay relay or the feed to it.

Continue moving the jumper until you find the issue. My money is on one of NC switches in the motor, which sucks, because they are hard to work on, especially for a newbie.

Edit: This is how I would do it with jumper wires. In reality, I would likely use a test lamp and see where the defect lies after jumpering it directly to the transformer to test the knocker itself.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/surf-champ-knocker- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.