Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E924BD1C-357B-40AC-97AC-BE82A3E5E8A7 (resized).jpeg
B0DDB773-D213-4C93-A7AB-9D3ACE34A8F2 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
#1 3 years ago

This is my first attempt at fixing an EM game, so feel free to over-explain!

The game takes credits, and when I hit the start button it goes through it’s reset sequence and puts a ball in the shooter lane. And that’s about it. No flippers, no slings, no pop bumpers. If I hit the switch in the upper-right saucer, it does fire the eject solenoid.

I cleaned all the Jones plugs, checked the fuses, and filed a few normally-closed switches (somewhat randomly).

What’s next? I can attach a video of the behavior of that would help.

Thanks in advance!

#2 3 years ago

Resolved! I took a tip from my friend Josh who said he sometimes wiggles everything to see if wiggling something makes things work. Sure enough, I started a game and held the flipper button in and started wiggling stuff, and was able to eventually narrow it down to one of the relays.

I then used a wooden coffee stirrer to push on each closed switch to see which one wasn’t connecting well. Once I found it, I filed down the contacts to be flat and shiny again, and voila! Everything now works (basically)

#3 3 years ago

Good, it's working again!

Can I suggest that you read this, which will help you if you need to clean more switches: http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index2.htm#clean

#4 3 years ago

After more testing, figured out it was KIND OF working. I could start a one player game, but it was buggy about adding more players. I cleaned some more contacts, and now it will only ever recognize one player and it doesn't advance through the ball count.

I haven't disassembled and clean the player unit and the switch stack behind it yet, but I'm thinking that's next?

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from HeyItsMeDusty:

it will only ever recognize one player

If the Start relay (S) activates but the Add Coin Unit solenoid doesn't, Inspect and diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires
http://www.planetimming.com/Pinball/troubleshooting/EM%20Troubleshooting.pdf
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#features

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#6 3 years ago

it doesn't advance through the ball count

If the Add Player Unit relay (P) doesn't activate when the ball goes over the Trough switch, Inspect and diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires
http://www.planetimming.com/Pinball/troubleshooting/EM%20Troubleshooting.pdf
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#features

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#7 3 years ago

Thank you so much for the help so far! I’m very close now. The game is playing well, and just needs a few more tweaks.

Last major things:
- “Ball in Play” lights — None of them are coming on, no matter what player or ball it is on.
- “Number of players” lights — When in game over mode, the 4 is always lit. When putting in players, nothing lights up until player 3. With a 4-player game, only the 3 and 4 are lit.

Attached image is game started with one player

B0DDB773-D213-4C93-A7AB-9D3ACE34A8F2 (resized).jpegB0DDB773-D213-4C93-A7AB-9D3ACE34A8F2 (resized).jpeg
#8 3 years ago

If the Match lights don't come on at the end of game, check the switch on the AX relay with a Yellow-Black wire on one side and a Black-Red wire on the other side.

#9 3 years ago

Thank you so much for the help so far! I’m very close now. The game is playing well, and just needs a few more tweaks.
Last major things:
- “Ball in Play” lights — None of them are coming on, no matter what player or ball it is on.
- “Number of players” lights — When in game over mode, the 4 is always lit. When putting in players, nothing lights up until player 3. With a 4-player game, only the 3 and 4 are lit.
Attached image is game started with one player
[quoted image]

Number of players Player 4 light at the end of game is correct.
I’d check the bulbs and sockets first, then check the coin unit for why 1 and 2 don’t light.
I’ll have to look at the schematic for ball in play, but I believe it comes off the player unit.

Sounds like you’re making good progress.

Dave

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

If the Match lights don't come on at the end of game, check the switch on the AX relay with a Yellow-Black wire on one side and a Black-Red wire on the other side.

The match lights do come on and the match circuit works

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from dgAmpGuy:

Number of players Player 4 light at the end of game is correct.
I’d check the bulbs and sockets first, then check the coin unit for why 1 and 2 don’t light.
I’ll have to look at the schematic for ball in play, but I believe it comes off the player unit.
Sounds like you’re making good progress.
Dave

I jumpered the bulbs to make sure they worked.

Is the coin unit the one inside the coin door to the right? I cleaned all the contacts I could see on that.

#12 3 years ago

Is this sound logic:

If my “Game Over” lamp functions correctly, then the rest of the the circuit upstream from the “Game Over” lamp must be working correctly. And since “Game Over” shares its entire path with the “Ball No.” lamp EXCEPT the player unit, then the problem must be between the player unit and the lamp?

E924BD1C-357B-40AC-97AC-BE82A3E5E8A7 (resized).jpegE924BD1C-357B-40AC-97AC-BE82A3E5E8A7 (resized).jpeg
#13 3 years ago

I cleaned and filed the contacts on Q, also. No change.

#14 3 years ago

Is this sound logic:
If my “Game Over” lamp functions correctly, then the rest of the the circuit upstream from the “Game Over” lamp must be working correctly. And since “Game Over” shares its entire path with the “Ball No.” lamp EXCEPT the player unit, then the problem must be between the player unit and the lamp?
[quoted image]

Sounds logical to me. Good idea checking the Q relay.
Should be straightforward to measure the voltage working back through the circuit.
I’d take a look at the slender wire between the two shoes on the player unit.

Dave

#15 3 years ago

Update: "Ball in Play" lights are now working! I went back and cleaned the Jones plugs on the back again, and ran a thin round file through the female plugs as well. So here's what's left:

1. Player 2 coin light does not light up. I have verified the bulb and socket are good by jumpering to the wire on the socket. Coin light for players 1, 3, and 4 all work.

2. When rolling over star rollover #1, the 100 points will always score, but it often takes 3 or 4 times to make the light on the rollover go out, and light up the 1000 light on the upper right saucer.

3. This issue only happens when set on 3-ball mode: when rolling over either star rollover #2 or #4, both lights go out, and both 1000 pt lights light up at the saucer. It's like they are bridged somehow. When in 5-ball mode, this does not happen.

4. Upper right saucer kicks out to the bumper in such a way that the bumper drops it right back in the saucer, causing a near-infinite loop (usually like 8-15 times, but that's still too much!)

Help with any of the above issues is greatly appreciated!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/surf-champ-help-needed?hl=howardr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.