Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinball (resized).png
Pinball (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinhead52.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from pbain:

Problem solved. Thank you Howard for all your help and encouragement. I couldn't have done it without you.
(I wish there was good video tutorial on reading a schematic.)
The switches on the AX and BX relays needed adjustment. That was huge.
Then I checked the board for shorts (checking all wires and lamps). I found one frayed wire and fixed it.
The machine was blowing a fuse now. After going through 6 fuses, I built a circuit breaker fuse like the one here http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index1.htm#top
(Unfortunately, we don't have Radio Shack anymore and none of the hardware stores had anything below a 15 AMP breaker. I found a 10 AMP breker at a marine supply store.)
Remembering the coils I replaced and how the pop bumper coils had diodes, I checked the coil for the chime box. Sure enough, tucked away in there was a diode. I cut and removed the diode from the coil and all worked!
I'm not sure why the coil shipped with a diode on it, but it did. So the lesson learned is: CUT THE DIODE on the coil if you are replacing a coil without a diode!

Same coils are used in SS games where they need the diode. EMs: cut them off or blow the fuse, but you now know that

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinhead52.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/surf-champ-bonus-relay-stuck-on-startup?tu=pinhead52 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.