You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png

#1 3 years ago

Hi All,
Firstly I hope everyone is ok in these strange times and managing to stay safe.
About three years ago I purchased a Gottlieb Surf Champ machine. All has been fab and the whole family have had hours of fun playing, it’s a very original machine Its My first pinball machine but I have got a 60s jukebox.
A small problem has occurred about two years ago then miraculously disappeared but has now plagued me for about a month, when you reset for a new game it goes right through the process perfectly , zeros all the scores but just dosnt throw the ball out to the shooter lane at the end, if I manually flick the ball out it plays normally but when you loose the ball it again dosnt flick it back out, again do it manually and it registers ball 2 and so on until ball 5, once I loose ball 5 it doesn’t show game over. , if I flick it out again it just carries on playing and adding score, and so on and so on. Also the first ball relay seems to be energised for the whole process and gets quite warm compared to any others.
Is this something straight forward, for some reason the sollinoid attaches to the ball return dosnt become energised when a ball lands in the cradle
Just wondered if any of you lovely folk could point me in the right direction.
Any advice greatfully received and here’s hopeing it’s fixable as the grandkids will be very disappointed when this lockdown is over and they’re allowed back round.
Cheers all And stay safe
Richie

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from Richiex20:

when you reset for a new game it goes right through the process perfectly , zeros all the scores but just dosnt throw the ball out to the shooter lane at the end

Throwing the ball out to the shooter lane is part of the reset process. How far is it getting in this process from the Surf Champ manual?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#3 3 years ago

Hi Howard, Thanks for the reply like I said I am very new to these machines, trying to get my head around that process it seems that the U relay does not de energise and it needs to in order to activate the ball kicker.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from Richiex20:

I said I am very new to these machines,

A must read and bookmarks site: http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index1

#5 3 years ago

Thanks for that link looks like a very informative document, I will work my way through see if I can find the issue. The ball return fires with a jumper cable just need to find why it’s not getting power from the drain switch. I’ll read the section about reading schematics I can see the switches to test on the paper just can’t always find them in the machine....

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from Richiex20:

Hi Howard, Thanks for the reply like I said I am very new to these machines, trying to get my head around that process it seems that the U relay does not de energise and it needs to in order to activate the ball kicker.

Where did you get the idea that the U (first ball) relay needs to de energise to activate the ball kicker?

If the Ball Return switch doesn't activate the Ball Return relay (O), Inspect and diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires
http://www.planetimming.com/Pinball/troubleshooting/EM%20Troubleshooting.pdf
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#features

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals
Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/surf-champ-ball-return-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.