• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E09E384B-2EC5-4CEB-B0FF-C04F51987C78.jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
#1 3 years ago

Hey folks, I’m working on reviving a Gottlieb Surf Champ. I managed to get the game to reset and start a game, but there’s one bug I’m having a hard time tracking down:

Every time a 500 point switch is hit, the game resets the target sequence. Ie, knock down a drop target, 500 points are scored, and the bank resets. This goes for the rollovers as well.

I should mention that the spinner only scores sometimes as well. Not sure if that is related.

Schematics will be part of the next PBR order, but for now I’m flying blind—hence why I’m struggling. Relays seem well adjusted, so is it possible the problem lies within the score motor? It’d be nice to get this up and running soon! It’s the only thing keeping me from tearing it down for a deep clean.

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Max

#2 3 years ago

Does that include the 500 Point rollovers?

#3 3 years ago

Yes, even when activating the 500 point rollovers, it’ll count out 500 points, then reset the drops/star rollovers.

#4 3 years ago

Does it reset the target bank when the ball goes in the hole at the top right of the playfield?

#5 3 years ago

It does. Here’s a quick video showing the issue briefly. While you can’t see the target bank reset when it goes in the hole (because no matter how hard I try, I can’t keep even a single target down without the bank resetting), you can hear the solenoid reset it.

#6 3 years ago

Be careful because this circuit runs on 120 volts

I think you'll find that the Target Bank resets every time the Motor runs (After the 1st Ball relay (U) is activated). Check this switch on the 5000 Point And Target Bank Reset relay (G)

For a switch to work 3 things are necessary:
1) When open, there should be a small space between the contact points (duh)
2) When closing, the long blade's contact point should push the short blade's contact point enough to move the short blade
3) The contact points should be clean, which they usually will be if #2 is happening

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#7 3 years ago

Resolved!! Thanks so much! The problem was actually regarding the switch on the start relay (highlighted in blue). It was stuck closed, and looked like someone had previously (and poorly) adjusted it. I’d have never looked there had it not been for your schematic excerpt. Thanks again!

E09E384B-2EC5-4CEB-B0FF-C04F51987C78.jpegE09E384B-2EC5-4CEB-B0FF-C04F51987C78.jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/surf-champ-500-point-reset-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.