(Topic ID: 139995)

Sure that movie sucked, but it's a great game!

By Nevus

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 109 posts
  • 51 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by amendes
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 10 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

tilt.jpg
Untitled_spreadsheet_-_Sheet1.pdf (PDF preview)
Pinballs_based_on_movies_-_Sheet1.pdf (PDF preview)
20151002_110323.jpg
936748_258012794338511_680150393_n.jpeg
rank.png
p3593031_d_v7_aa.jpg
Sphere-jerrygetsmad.gif
1200.jpg
serious.jpg

There are 109 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 3 years ago

Fellow JM owners, I'm thinking of getting a Congo to go next to my JM in the line up. It will be my "Sure that movie sucked, but it's a great game!" section.

I feel this way for sure about JM. In fact, I feel lucky it doesn't have a lot of material directly from the movie. The movie was awful! I've played Congo a few times and liked it. I'm thinking about looking for one.

What would you out in that row? I know others but haven't played them as much. There are also a lot of bad movie bad game combos that wouldn't make my list.

#3 3 years ago

I was confused for a second. You need to add an "I" to move in your title.
The Shadow

#4 3 years ago

Damn RyThom beat me to it

#5 3 years ago

Oops. Corrected.

Thanks guys.

#7 3 years ago

I'm gonna pistol whip the first person to say Tron.

#8 3 years ago

Bram Stoker's Dracula?

While not a bad film, it could've been better.

#10 3 years ago

Waterworld. I like the game, but the movie was asstastic.

#11 3 years ago

Last action hero... there is a past thread about this subject I believe..

#12 3 years ago

I'm one of like, five people, who think Waterworld is a-ok.

And Last Action Hero totally rules!

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from RyThom:

I think i'm one of like, five people, who think Waterworld is a-ok.

I could probably watch the first hour again, but it broke my will to live after that.

#15 3 years ago

i like waterworld.........it is one of those movies that when i am flipping channels......no mater where you come in......i can pick it up and watch the rest

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

I'm gonna pistol whip the first person to say Tron.

Tron sucks as a movie but is an "alright" game. So it does not fit here as a "great" game.

People seem to be missing that point to the OP. LAH and Waterworld are bad movies and bad games.

#17 3 years ago

Most super-hero-movies are ok at best (imo), Stargate was ok, but not great.. I think half the movie-themed-pinballs are better then tha movie itself. There are some games and movies that I think are both good, i.e: LOTR, Indiana Jones (wms version), WOZ (for its time), and I'm sure TBL will get in that list as well, given what they have done with the BOP software (and sounds & animations).

#18 3 years ago

Is it better to watch the bad movie if you own the pin or not? I own Congo and know nothing about the movie. To me, it's a fun pin with an original funky jungle theme.

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Is it better to watch the bad movie if you own the pin or not? I own Congo and know nothing about the movie. To me, it's a fun pin with an original funky jungle theme.

If you watch Congo or Shadow you might find it does damage you like for the pin.

#20 3 years ago

To be honest, who gives a rats scroty if the movie was crap, if you like the pin then GO FOR IT i say

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

People seem to be missing that point to the OP. LAH and Waterworld are bad movies and bad games.

Like Popeye!

#22 3 years ago

I didn't really like the Adams family movies. I also didn't like Mary Shelleys Frankenstein, the original judge dredd, batman forever or the flintstones movies either, but the pins are good. Now what about great movies that were horrible pins, like the Avengers.

#23 3 years ago

Right, Popeye is a great game but not based on a bad movie. It is based on the cartoon. So it does not belong here.

#24 3 years ago

Meteor is a decent enough pin, but the movie was truly a turd.

#25 3 years ago

The Shadow for sure. And while the movie isn't great, watching it after you have the pin doesn't damage anything at all, it gives you more appreciation for the pin. You realize how great of a job they did integrating the theme. Like the animation for Khan Multiball starting, it's the locks on his sarcophagus from the film breaking open. The Battlefield makes way more sense too. They just did a great job.

Also, Last Action Hero is not a bad game at all. And if you get the new ROM with better rules it's a good game even.

Tron is a great game! I didn't think the movie sucked though. Was just okay.

#26 3 years ago

I'm going to put Godzilla on the list. I haven't seen the 1998 Godzilla but I think it's pretty safe to say it sucks. I have played the game and thought it was really cool.

#27 3 years ago

Actually, the Shadow movie does NOT suck.

Watch it again,
It has a better plot acting and story than recent hollywood blockbusters. And is easier and more entertaining to watch.

Movies TS is better than.

Indiana Jones and the crystal skull.
TMNT
The amazing spiderman 1-2
Transformers age of extinction.
Jurassic World.
Tron legacy

#29 3 years ago

Pinside has bad taste in movies with all these people saying The Shadow sucked. It's supposed to be campy and has great effects that have held up very well compared to most films of that era.

JM, Congo and Godzilla all fit the bill, though.

#30 3 years ago

You think Apollo 13 is a bad movie and a great pin?

serious.jpg

#31 3 years ago

Sorry, I would argue that Apollo 13 is the opposite of this thread. Each their own I guess...

#32 3 years ago

I actually like a lot of the movies from the 90s that have pins. I recognize they aren't great movies but I enjoy them for the most part because of nostalgia. JM, LAH, Shadow, Congo, Stargate, Waterworld, Hook, Demo Man, Flintstones. These are all movies I grew up watching but a lot of them I haven't watched recently because some I'm sure would not be good. Shadow and LAH are two that I have watched recently and still enjoy.

#33 3 years ago

Judge Dredd wasn't based on the movie... it came out 2 years before they made that lousy film. The comics are awesome by the way. I'm in for the Shadow and Congo like most people here.

#34 3 years ago

If you'll included bad TV, I'll nominate Baywatch as a fun pin.

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from tishbite:

Judge Dredd wasn't based on the movie... it came out 2 years before they made that lousy film. The comics are awesome by the way. I'm in for The Shadow and Congo like most people here.

Oh yeah I forgot JD was a comic. Never read it myself.

#36 3 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Oh yeah I forgot JD was a comic. Never read it myself.

Yeah, worth checking out. You can find the old 2000 AD comics in bargain bins these days.

#37 3 years ago
Quoted from Anth:

I haven't seen the 1998 Godzilla but I think it's pretty safe to say it sucks.

Bwahahahaaaa!

I just bought a Godzilla! I forgot to add that to my list.

#38 3 years ago
Quoted from JoelOmatik:

Bram Stoker's Dracula?
While not a bad film, it could've been better.

This film was awful, but I love the pin. What I like about BSD is both the pin and movie are polarizing. Not much middle ground, they're both love it or hate it.

#39 3 years ago

Batman Forever

Even George Clooney thinks the movie sucks.

The pinball machine is fun, with some of the longest wire forms.

#40 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

If you'll included bad TV, I'll nominate Baywatch as a fun pin.

If you think Baywatch the show is bad, you're watching it incorrectly. It's a fun pin, though.

1200.jpg

#41 3 years ago

For collectors who have never owned a JM, Shadow, or Congo, you are truly missing out on some great games, i have owned my HUO JM for over 8 years from the original owner who bought from a distributor, it will be passed on as an heirloom with other machines. BSD is a classic and not underrated by any means, especially with its stacking of modes and multiball, and movie clips

#42 3 years ago

Have to throw Last Action Hero in for debate. Average pin and worse than average movie.

If you want to look at it qualitatively. The Shadow movie was rated worse (35%) than LAH (37%) on rotten tomatoes, and The Shadow is ranked a much better pin. The Shadow wins!

edit - oops, I see LAH was mentioned above. For all time bad movies, Barb Wire - yikes! I should also confess, I liked Congo.

#43 3 years ago

** typo correctec **
The Addams Family of course.
Fantastic pin.
When is the last time you even saw that movie playing on cable?
Now, lets not confuse the original tv show, that was great, but the pin was based on the movie.

#44 3 years ago
Quoted from nosro:

Batman Forever

Even George Clooney thinks the movie sucks.

The pinball machine is fun, with some of the longest wire forms.

Umm, but Batman Forever starred Val Kilmer. George Clooney must think it sucks cuz he's not in it.

#45 3 years ago

Whoops. I was thinking of Batman and Robin. My bad.

#46 3 years ago
Quoted from Pins4me:

most obvious title?

Nah, TAF was a fun movie. I saw some reruns of the TV show recently, and it does not hold up at all, but they got a great cast for the movie, and made two cool flicks.

#47 3 years ago
Quoted from nosro:

Whoops. I was thinking of Batman and Robin. My bad

They were both pretty horrible, I can see the confusion. By the way, reading this I realized 4 out of 5 of my movie/TV themed pins have already been mentioned in this thread. Does that mean I'm winning?

#48 3 years ago
Quoted from nosro:

If you think Baywatch the show is bad, you're watching it incorrectly. It's a fun pin, though.
1200.jpg

Oh yeah, I forgot about David Hasselhoff's dreamy pecks.

#49 3 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I could probably watch the first hour again, but it broke my will to live after that.

Anyone who likes to watch Water World probably enjoys train wrecks. They're so horrible to watch, yet you just can't avert your eyes.

As far as the topic, I'm surprised Sphere or Deep Blue Sea weren't made into pins. They'd probably be classics.

#50 3 years ago
Quoted from Anth:

I'm going to put Godzilla on the list. I haven't seen the 1998 Godzilla but I think it's pretty safe to say it sucks. I have played the game and thought it was really cool.

Godzilla 1998 is the movie Cloverfield is a remake of. SRSLY!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 22.50
There are 109 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside