image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
#1 6 years ago

I have a Sure Shot pinball that is now giving me problems after I replaced the flipper coils. Prior to replacing the flipper coils the issue was not present. I'm new to EM's so my troubleshooting abilities are very limited. I also don't have any schematics for this game, not that it matters because I still don't know how to read them quite yet.

Here is what happened. I replaced the left coil first, put the PF down, turned it on and tested the left flipper and this indeed fixed my weak flipper issue. Left flipper was now twice as strong as the right flipper. OK, no problem I thought, let's swap out the right flipper coil, which I did. Put the PF back down and when the game started it was making this awfully loud buzzing noise. After a few game resets I determined that when the game starts it instantly activates balls 6 & 9 as those roll over lights go out and balls 6 & 9 light up on the rack in the center of the playfield. With the PF lifted up I reset the game and I can see where 6 & 9 "lock on" as soon as the game starts but I have no idea how to fix it. I'm 99% sure it's coincidental that the game stopped working after I switched the right flipper coil, however I should ask is it possible I soldered a wire onto the wrong lug and this could be causing the issue? Other than that I have checked rollvers for 6 & 9 and I can't see anything out of the ordinary, nothing looks loose, broken, or stuck. I've attached a short video link to Youtube that shows the problem. Any advice for someone clueless like myself would be appreciated.

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

I have checked rollvers for 6 & 9 and I can't see anything out of the ordinary, nothing looks loose, broken, or stuck.

Post pictures of the 6 and 9 rollovers from the bottom.

Quoted from djreddog:

I also don't have any schematics for this game, not that it matters because I still don't know how to read them quite yet.

Many of us here can read them so I highly recommend you get one.

#3 6 years ago

Also check the relay bank alignment as Clay points out in his repair guide section 3d. It may have moved a little raising and lowering the playfield to work on the flippers.

http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#reset

#4 6 years ago

Here are pictures of the 6 & 9 rollovers.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from tuffano:

Also check the relay bank alignment as Clay points out in his repair guide section 3d. It may have moved a little raising and lowering the playfield to work on the flippers.
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#reset

My game is from 1976, if I'm reading everything correctly my game doesn't have a reset bank.

#6 6 years ago

Hard to tell for sure from those pictures if the points are adjusted too close, so the next steps would be to see if either of these makes a difference (1) slide paper between the points (2) unsolder 1 wire from the switch.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

My game is from 1976, if I'm reading everything correctly my game doesn't have a reset bank.

The large relay bank with the 6 and 9 roll over relays you filmed. It has a couple of wing nuts on both ends like the older reset banks to check/adjust making sure it's not racked and is straight.

#8 6 years ago

I'll look into those suggestions tonight. Just to be sure, the game has played flawlessly for weeks until I changed out the right flipper coil. I know EM's can be finicky, but I just want to make sure the flipper coil has nothing to do with the issue.

#9 6 years ago

The flippers have nothing to do with the problems you report, unless you bumped something.

#10 6 years ago

I inserted paper between both switch contacts for rollover #6 and rollover #9, but still had the same results. I also loosened the wing nuts and tilted that entire mechanism forward and looked over everything and couldn't detect any oddities. As for the paper wedged in between the switch, see attached picture to make sure I placed this in the proper position.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

I inserted paper between both switch contacts for rollover #6 and rollover #9, but still had the same results.

Looks right. Did you have a chance to temporarily unsolder a wire from each switch and order a schematic?

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Looks right. Did you have a chance to temporarily unsolder a wire from each switch and order a schematic?

I did not have time tonight to unsolder any wires. Might try and get to that tomorrow. No schematic yet.

#13 6 years ago

Looking at your pics again it sort of looks like you may have solder droppings shorting one. Probably happened soldering the flipper coils.

IMG_1939 (resized).JPGIMG_1939 (resized).JPG

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from tuffano:

Looking at your pics again it sort of looks like you may have solder droppings shorting one. Probably happened soldering the flipper coils.

Great observation! I'm still trying to get the hang of soldering better and I did notice several pieces of solder dripping when I did the right coil. I didn't have any issues on the left side. I will check this out tonight! Thanks for spotting this!

Chad

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from tuffano:

Good eye!

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from tuffano:

Winner winner! That was the ticket!! Much thanks on spotting that! If you make it to the First State Flip Off I'm hosting in September I'll take care of your beer, that is if you drink!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Vista, CA
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sure-shot-switch-locked-on-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.