(Topic ID: 96513)

sure shot run through .. where do i start .. lots of hand holding required!

By manitouguy

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

SSResistors.jpg
258988-i.jpg
schem d ss.JPG
schem b ss.JPG
schem a ss.JPG
schem c ss.JPG
schem a ss.JPG
man 2 ss.JPG
man 1 ss.JPG
man 3 ss.JPG
scem 3 ss.JPG
schem 1 ss.JPG
schem 2.JPG
photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
ax.JPG
There are 143 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 9 years ago

and now when i tried left coin mech .. special kicker is firing

its firing when i manually trip any of the switch bank relays ...??

#52 9 years ago

OK, so now need to focus on the ball not kicking out.

Tilt will stay on and no flippers until ball kicks out (needs to pass over the ball trough switch, which causes the Ball Count unit to step to Ball 1, and also closes the ball count zero position switch, which activates the playfield).

The coin chutes are now set to just start a game; the replay button for starting is still an issue, but that's isolated for now.

The Ball Return relay is 'O' (oh) on the schematic.

The AX relay needs to be unlatched, and a NO switch must be closed to get much of the playfield alive. So that's still suspect. Can you confirm it's unlatched? And are the switches now adjusted OK?

Then it also looks like the Bonus Unit needs to be reset, so that the 15th position switch is closed (although this might be unique to Bank Shot; would need to confirm on Sure Shot's schematic).

#53 9 years ago

i wiggled the power feed to the knocker ... its not making the sound anymore

but hit the left coin mech it subracts a credit then puts it right back ..

#54 9 years ago

all six switches on ax relay are NO and it is unlatched

#55 9 years ago

relay o contacts at 1b and 6a?

#56 9 years ago
Quoted from manitouguy:

i wiggled the power feed to the knocker ... its not making the sound anymore

So one thing to bear in mind about doing a systematic and methodical approach is to not wander off wiggling and poking things randomly.

(at least not yet)

There are enough variables in play as it is, and changing multiple things all at once makes it very difficult to retrace steps back to a known state. When some behavior changes (good or bad), you'll want to know which one thing caused it. If a bad behavior appears, then you can go one step back and undo it, or at least know the one spot.

I fear there are now many tweaks intermixing, so it might be prudent to start at the beginning again?

#57 9 years ago

yes sorry ..

i'll behave, don't give up on me lol

i appreciate your patience and help dirt .. that knocker thing spooked me and came out of left field, i should have left it alone ..

#58 9 years ago
Quoted from manitouguy:

all six switches on ax relay are NO and it is unlatched

On the schematic, on the left side list of relays, next to AX, AXR, under the contacts column does it say 6A, 2C? If so, then that means there should be six NO switches, and two make/break switches, total eight switches, not six.

Quoted from manitouguy:

relay o contacts at 1b and 6a?

On the same table, does it say 1B, 6A next to the 'O' relay? Or just 6A? If it says 1B, 6A, then that means there is one NC switch and six NO switches (quantity and type, not location). That's also different than Bank Shot (which only has six NO switches).

#59 9 years ago

Does Sure Shot have a bonus unit stepper? (I think it must).

Is it reset to the zero position?

#60 9 years ago
Quoted from manitouguy:

One of the two coin mech trip wire switches might be stuck closed now. Best take a look. It shouldn't subtract and then add a credit.

#61 9 years ago

Can you post a picture of the coin adjustment plugs, and of your AX relay please?

#62 9 years ago

schematic at relays

at ax, axr it says 5a, 1c

at o relay it says 6a,1b

bonus unit steppr under playfield? wheel with 15 positions - is that the unit you are referring to

when game was 'working' (use loosely) earlier, the start sequence would cycle through 15 clacks, resetting that bonus unit i think .. it has not been doing it since

at end of each ball it is supposed to count bonus but didn't seem to be scoring the bonus properly either - just fyi, not trying to go off on another issue

#63 9 years ago

will take a few photos - hang on

#64 9 years ago

photo of coin chute plugs (oops did you mean the switches on the door?)

photo 1.JPGphoto 1.JPG

and ax relay

photo 2.JPGphoto 2.JPG

#65 9 years ago

left coin wire, when flicked gives a credit which is then taken away

credit reel is at 9 credits (can i manually reset to zero?)

all three switches on credit wheel are Open - fyi

#66 9 years ago
Quoted from manitouguy:

at ax, axr it says 5a, 1c

OK, so five NO and one make/break switch then. Might double check the make/break switch.

(and which means that Bank Shot is different enough than Sure Shot that I won't be able to get super specific.)

Quoted from manitouguy:

bonus unit steppr under playfield?

Yep. Manually reset it to the zero position (I think that should be a single plunge of the reset coil, and the spring will zip it back around to the zero position).

#67 9 years ago

uuuuughh ... when looking at my own photo ...

noticed tilt was set to 'per ball'

i had moved that earlier since that was only score card i had

i forgot about that ... just moved it to per game

game is now live , ball in shooter lane and flipper live

oh the shame ... sorry

let me see what the status is now

#68 9 years ago

Ah, that probably knocked out the Hold relay ('R', mentioned some number of posts ago I think?), and if the Ball Count unit isn't in the right spot, then the replay button won't work (R needs a switch on S to close in order to re-energize, but S needs either a switch on R closed or one on the Ball Count unit).

Good find though.

#69 9 years ago

thanks so much Dirt

i'll pick it up tomorrow and learn some more, but boy i learnt alot today with this machine!!

lower slings are scoring both 10 and 100 at same time

bonus after ball scoring seems suspect

right kicker hole light doesn't come on when special is alternating

ball in play 2 light and game over light aren't lighting up

only one switch is activating chime bar, and only occasionally

BUT .. even the half baked game play is FUN and even the playfield art has grown on me - it looks pretty all lit up

more tomorrow on chasing down these other, maybe more 'minor' gremlins!!

thanks again

Ron

#70 9 years ago

Great - later!

#71 9 years ago

ok a fresh new day ..

off to work but tonight if i have time i will tackle the next item .. and this time be careful to not create any new issues!

here are a few i noticed - which should i chase down first ...

score reels are no longer resetting .. i can play a game but scores don't go back to zeros when i start next game

knocker isn't firing for specials

100,000 light not lighting up when score exceeds

ball in play 5 light (loose connection) and game over light aren't lighting up

#72 9 years ago
Quoted from manitouguy:

ok a fresh new day ..
off to work but tonight if i have time i will tackle the next item .. and this time be careful to not create any new issues!
here are a few i noticed - which should i chase down first ...
score reels are no longer resetting .. i can play a game but scores don't go back to zeros when i start next game
knocker isn't firing for specials
100,000 light not lighting up when score exceeds
ball in play 5 light (loose connection) and game over light aren't lighting up

Score reels not resetting would be the first thing I think. Make sure AX is tripping after S activates.

Check the 9th position switch on the 10's reel to make sure it's only closing at the 9th position (for the 10s and 100s scoring at the same time issue).

Check bulbs and bulb sockets first for the lighting issues.

I'm away tonight though. Good luck!

#73 9 years ago

ok, will work on score reels reset ... that was working when i first started tinkering ... will see if the ax is firing once the s relay does ...

#74 9 years ago

ok, no success yet on the score reels resetting,

and i need a better description of what the score reel switches should be doing as i cycle through the digits

appears they are activated same for most digits but for 0 and or 9 the switches open a bit differently??

i did notice the first wire on score reel one had come unsoldered so i soldered it up

regards, Ron

#75 9 years ago

Zero:
Zero positionZero position

1-8:
1-8 position1-8 position

9th:
9th position9th position

#76 9 years ago

thanks Dirt, i will go check these .. fell asleep on the couch!

should this be the same for score reels, tens, hundreds, thousands and ten thousands?

Ron

#77 9 years ago

ok check, all switches gapped and now reels scoring as they should, no 'double scoring'

now,

score reels still not resetting at start of a game

bonus not counting out and scoring properly after each ball

no chimes sounding at all for any playfield actions

which to deal with next? the score reel reset??

#78 9 years ago
Quoted from manitouguy:

score reels still not resetting at start of a game

This.

Is AX tripping after S activates at game reset start?

#79 9 years ago

not sure - i can't see behind the machine when i push a button to start a game ??!?

#80 9 years ago

rather than reset to zero it seems like score 'advances' by one thousand when a new game starts..

#81 9 years ago

If the score reels are each set on '1', when a game is started, what do they all do? Do they each advance continuously and the score motor just runs? Do they not move at all? (and the score motor just runs)

Need more specifics.

#82 9 years ago
Quoted from manitouguy:

not sure - i can't see behind the machine when i push a button to start a game ??!?

AX is a latching relay. Plenty of time to hit the start button and get to the back to look.

#83 9 years ago

reels all set to 1s - 11110

hit replay button

score displays as 12220

hit button and look behind as fast as i can at ax ... can't see if anything happened but ax relay has six switches all on Open

#84 9 years ago

so maybe not staying latched?

#85 9 years ago

Are you familiar with how to distinguish the latched position from the unlatched position on AX?

In the latched position, the armature with the switch stack is pulled in, and 'latches' onto the other armature.

Need to know which position it's in after trying to start a game. (Maybe take a picture of it.)

Is the score motor continuing to run or no?

#87 9 years ago

score motor does not continue to run

i believe the armature is not 'pulled' in but in relaxed state

picture coming ...

#88 9 years ago

here is a photo

ax.JPGax.JPG

#89 9 years ago

That's in the latched position. If you pull down the other armature, the switch stack should pop back up.

But the switches don't look adjusted correctly. Looks like there's an open switch that should be closed.

#90 9 years ago

Watch this from around the 3:00min mark:

#91 9 years ago

ok will check

yup some were open when should have been closed

i gapped them to close

tried another restart

now score motor runs continuously ... i must have missed one?

#92 9 years ago

Actually, if I zoom in, it looks like none of those switches are closing when in the latched position.

Here's a quick way to consider checking a switch. If the armature plate pulls in, and a switch never changes state (e.g., never closes or never opens), then that switch won't be able to perform its job.

So when that ladder stack pulls down, if none of those switches work, then lots of things aren't going to be working.

#93 9 years ago

The score reels all need to reach the zero position first, then the AX relay will unlatch, and then the score motor can stop.

#94 9 years ago

sorry yes, more than one needed to be adjusted

so now it appears all are open, when assembly is then latched, all are closed

game tries to reset all to zero at restart - the thousands reel did not reset to zero and the score motor continued to run

#95 9 years ago

i tried a bit more adjusting - game reset to zero

then when i tried another replay the tens didn't reset ..

#96 9 years ago

keep going...

Make sure the switch stacks are tight, the contacts are clean, and that there's a good, solid open/close on the switches. Good strong light helps.

#97 9 years ago

ok will keep fiddling for a bit

have to run (need to get to the driving range!! golf tourney tomorrow and i need to get some strokes in lol)

will try again in a couple hours - but it seems it just needs a bit more adjusting

then maybe the bonus is next to tackle??

as for sound - on the knocker i can see a small very fine wire appears broken to one of the contacts of the coil .. might that be the culprit there??

thanks again for your help

Ron

#98 9 years ago

ok, got the scoring reset working now

where to start on bonus unit later ..??

#99 9 years ago

Knocker or chimes? I thought the chimes weren't working?

I'd do the chimes next. Those are controlled directly by a switch on each of the L, M, and N relays.

#100 9 years ago

If all the chimes aren't working check that the common (Black) wire on the chime coils is connected.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Vista, CA
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 143 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sure-shot-run-through-where-do-i-start-lots-of-hand-holding-required/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.