image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
98A45B01-50D9-477E-9BD9-B271FC22F404 (resized).jpeg
A58841BA-982C-45B7-9321-4E54DDD3F952 (resized).jpeg
06850AF8-F6E1-4A04-8E64-8DA3930B8ED3 (resized).jpeg
67D7A21E-E5DC-48BB-890B-02399817EA28 (resized).jpeg
4ECD198A-25FF-4AFD-B762-B5E213622FEF (resized).jpeg
#1 5 years ago

Hi, just bought the Sure Shot EM and having problems with it. Ball won’t kick out to the shooter Lane. everything is resetting and motor is running but the ball wont pop out. When I pop it out manually game is dead no flippers or bumpers working it’s like the tilt is on.

#2 5 years ago

Is you score motor stopping or continuing to run?
The ball when kicked into the shooter lane rolls over a switch that "turns on" the playfield. That switch is under the apron. I believe that's the case with a Sure Shot.

#3 5 years ago

When the ball drains does it start the score motor?

#4 5 years ago

Check out the 15th pos. bonus unit make/break sw. shown here. O is the Ball Return relay.

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG
#5 5 years ago

How far are you getting in this sequence?

Screen Shot 2019-03-05 at 1.12.08 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-03-05 at 1.12.08 PM (resized).png
#6 5 years ago

Thanks everyone, I will take a look tonight after work and try posting a video

#7 5 years ago

Hi, I’ve been cleaning the machine all weekend and now taking the half moon credit counter apart for the third time can’t seem to get it working.
Any tips

#8 5 years ago

Hi,
Think I got the half moon credit score working just putting it back together then test

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffc:

How far are you getting in this sequence?[quoted image]

Quoted from currieddog:

Check out the 15th pos. bonus unit make/break sw. shown here. O is the Ball Return relay.
[quoted image]

Quoted from Sonora70:

Is you score motor stopping or continuing to run?
The ball when kicked into the shooter lane rolls over a switch that "turns on" the playfield. That switch is under the apron. I believe that's the case with a Sure Shot.

#10 5 years ago

Got it to work but it goes straight to the 9 credit

#11 5 years ago

Started cleaning bonus real I think something is missing because it won’t move when I prime it manually

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#12 5 years ago
Quoted from Kominkay:

Got it to work but it goes straight to the 9 credit

From what?

#13 5 years ago

From 0

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from Kominkay:

it goes straight to the 9 credit

If the 2nd Chute Relay (W) is activating when this happens, check the Coin switches on the front door.

#15 5 years ago

Now when I put a coin in the coin shoot the credit score goes down 1 credit and when I press the start button it also goes down 1 credit. The game resets, score real resets, ball count resets, the bar under the play field resets, and all the lights on the play field light up then turn off then nothing on the play field is working except the Special kick out holes. The ball return doesn’t activate, it’s like everything is dead.
I found a broken wire in one of the coils on the bonus unit and repaired it. Doesn’t seem to help anything but at least I have ruled that out, I think.

#16 5 years ago

One of these 5 switches is probably open. Which one?

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png
#17 5 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

[quoted image]

Ok so I had a look at the schematics and I think I know where to look. I will take a look tomorrow and let you know what I find, thanks.

#18 5 years ago

I will look at the switches on the tilt hold relay (H) and the hold relay (R) is that right?
Also the switches on the ball count unit in the 0 position and the 6 position?
Also the AX relay switch?
Dose all these switches need to be closed when I push the start button to start the game?
Any more information is appreciated

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

[quoted image]

Quoted from jeffc:

How far are you getting in this sequence?[quoted image]

Quoted from Sonora70:

When the ball drains does it start the score motor?

I mostly work on my pinball machine on the weekend as I’m busy working all week, I’m a chef and run my own retro takeaway and Milkbar so pretty tired after work, and like to do some research at night so I will try to give you all some updates Saturday and attach some photos of the inside for your interest. This old beauty was pretty darn dirty.
last weekend I think I put in about 20hrs into cleaning and taking things apart and putting them back together. Felt a bit stressed and thinking that nothing I’m doing is helping solve the problems, needed some time away from it. But now looking forward to Saturday to get back into it. Thanks for all the questions and advice Jay.

98A45B01-50D9-477E-9BD9-B271FC22F404 (resized).jpeg98A45B01-50D9-477E-9BD9-B271FC22F404 (resized).jpeg4ECD198A-25FF-4AFD-B762-B5E213622FEF (resized).jpeg4ECD198A-25FF-4AFD-B762-B5E213622FEF (resized).jpeg06850AF8-F6E1-4A04-8E64-8DA3930B8ED3 (resized).jpeg06850AF8-F6E1-4A04-8E64-8DA3930B8ED3 (resized).jpeg67D7A21E-E5DC-48BB-890B-02399817EA28 (resized).jpeg67D7A21E-E5DC-48BB-890B-02399817EA28 (resized).jpegA58841BA-982C-45B7-9321-4E54DDD3F952 (resized).jpegA58841BA-982C-45B7-9321-4E54DDD3F952 (resized).jpeg
#20 5 years ago

Ax

#21 5 years ago

0 position

#22 5 years ago

6th position

#23 5 years ago

Tilt hold relay

#24 5 years ago

R hold relay

#25 5 years ago

All closed except the position 6

#26 5 years ago

Is the tilt light on

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from Raff:

Is the tilt light on

Yes the back board lights up when turned on and the tilt light is on

#28 5 years ago

The hold relay won’t activate and when I do it manually it won’t stay on. There is power to the relays and the coils are holding ohms.

Dose anyone know if I’ve got these plugs in the right spot? Photos attached

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#29 5 years ago
Quoted from Kominkay:

The hold relay won’t activate and when I do it manually it won’t stay on

If the Hold relay (R) won't stay on, Inspect and diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires
http://www.planetimming.com/Pinball/troubleshooting/EM%20Troubleshooting.pdf
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#features

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

If the Hold relay (R) won't stay on, Inspect and diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires
http://www.planetimming.com/Pinball/troubleshooting/EM%20Troubleshooting.pdf
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#features
[quoted image]

Ok so the latest update is....
I turn the machine on back glass lights up.
I can manually activate the hold relay and it stays on.
I can manually activate the tilt hold relay and it stays on, playfield lights up.
I manually activate the start relay and it activates the AX relay and it holds in which then activates the ball count relay which holds in and they both make a loud buzzing sound nothing happens from then. They just both work hard and hold in.

#31 5 years ago

I’m going to go through the ball count stepper now to see if I can find a problem, I looks like it’s trying to reset but it’s already reset to the 0 position.

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from Kominkay:

I manually activate the start relay and it activates the AX relay and it holds in which then activates the ball count relay which holds in and they both make a loud buzzing sound nothing happens from then.

This switch on the AX relay should run the motor. Also, I don't see any Ball Count relay on the schematic.

#33 5 years ago

How dose the Motor 2c switch close? because that goes to the AX coil and the reset ball count unit.

Quoted from HowardR:

This switch on the AX relay should run the motor. Also, I don't see any Ball Count relay on the schematic.
[quoted image]

E647116F-056B-4C75-9F13-66F536AE6221 (resized).pngE647116F-056B-4C75-9F13-66F536AE6221 (resized).png
#34 5 years ago

Is it the motor service jack? And does that close the 1c motor switch also?
I will also check the 1st and 2nd coin unit switch

#35 5 years ago

Wow I fell like I 1 step forward and 2 steps back when I’ve just about to solve a problem another one pops up and everything was running properly when I first got this machine then the ball return was the first thing to go now I’m about 10 steps backwards…frustrating!

#36 5 years ago

Decided to pull the motor apart and go through all the switches and give it a good clean. This will probably take me all day, but I’m determined to get everything working perfectly.

0ED09C78-5E6E-4391-843F-7383F2E7EF02 (resized).jpeg0ED09C78-5E6E-4391-843F-7383F2E7EF02 (resized).jpeg
#37 5 years ago

If it doesn't need fixing you should not touch it, it only will cause more problems.

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from Raff:

If it doesn't need fixing you should not touch it, it only will cause more problems.

What to do instead: Slowly and carefully diagnose one problem at a time and then fix only that.
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index2.htm#clean

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Vista, CA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sure-shot-1976-ball-return-troubleshooting and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.