(Topic ID: 219716)

PRICE INCREASE - Supreme Court Passes online sales tax

By ovfdfireman

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

o (resized).jpg
    o (resized).jpg
    stacks-image-2b73051 (resized).jpg
    LOST2018 (resized).png
    2d2j78 (resized).jpg
    OhGod12.jpeg (resized).jpg
    IMG_1530 (resized).PNG
    pasted_image (resized).png
    NeroDen (resized).jpg
    caspersan (resized).jpg
    sunset (resized).jpg
    2d27oc (resized).jpg
    RQPa2zE~2 (resized).jpg
    817898738 (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-06-27 at 10.20.25 PM (resized).png
    Solid_Gold_Crapper (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #349 Thread warning. Stay off taxation politics. Posted by TigerLaw (5 years ago)

Post #363 State by state sales tax rates. Posted by o-din (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ovfdfireman.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Looks like pinball machines will now be the same locally as they are shipped, how does this change things when sales tax is collected everywhere? I know a lot of folks buy out of state to save taxes. Now buying local can save shipping.

https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/video/supreme-court-ruling-on-internet-sales-tax-may-impact-consumer-spending-1261313091708?cid=eml_onsite

#7 5 years ago

I would say at minimum now you can deal with anyone, whomever you like best...fair playing field for local or online, prices should be about the same

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

This seems like a nightmare for companies to deal with. Would they have to remit the sales tax to the state of the purchaser? So for example, would Pinball Life have to send sales tax payments to all 50 states (if they sold to someone in every one)?

Yes a nightmare, but even worse than you think. The tax is by county not by state (to my understanding). It is unreasonable for a small business without super fancy software to calculate the many tax rates, and then to make payment, let alone knowing where to submit each of them.

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

In Michigan, the State Return has an entry to pay unpaid sales taxes. The description lists things such as Mail order purchases, Internet purchases and Magazine Subscriptions. You mean you haven't been paying this?
    Then we have the "Intangibles Tax" that includes Items of value stored such as stock certificates (.1% or .001 of the value of the stock), precious metals and Gems and my favorite: Cash stored on your person or safe place including Safe Deposit Boxes or non-interest bearing bank acCOuNts (.25% or .0025 of the value).
    So, that $50 grand you have stuffed in your lumpy mattress requires you to pay $125.00 to the state every year.

Taxing the money you already paid tax on...makes sense. That's a penalty for not spending it on pinball machines

1 month later
    #466 5 years ago
    Quoted from acebathound:

They've probably accounted for "mail order" transactions in this as well, which basically sounds like what you're describing. Plus how is the buyer paying? Paypal? Now it's an online transaction. But if you're taking checks or money orders, a sale is a sale and it's supposed to be reported.
    This whole sales tax thing is blowing up faster than I expected it would. It seems some states have already made their "economic nexus provisions" live and will be enforcing them before the end of the year. I saw on a FB group that Washington is pursuing back to 1/1/2018. And threshold for notice/reporting there is only $10k in sales. There's a few states with low thresholds like that, most are something like $100-200k or 200 transactions.
    Wild Wild West. Every state can do something different. Seems like this could take a bit of time to sort out and you may quickly be in violation if you hit the thresholds. I've been trying to read more about this, but ultimately it looks like in my visit with a CPA this year, this will be another talking point. I doubt accountants even have a full clue as to what all the states are doing or where this is going. Again, to me it's just surprising it's ACTUALLY HAPPENING already and some states will be enforcing in 2018.
    I'm not totally against this if/when there's an easy way for sales tax to be remitted to the states/localities, but until that happens this adds a ton of uncertainty and confusion to what the heck is going on. I saw someone say it was like playing russian roulette with each sale, and I'd agree. Especially for businesses transacting fairly high dollar amounts this year or selling large volumes of smaller dollar amounts, who may have already exceeded thresholds for notices or nexuses.
    No one man band is going to be able to deal with submitting tons of paperwork to the individual states and localities. Just seems like they don't want small businesses to exist, everything is setup for major businesses that can dedicate teams of people towards compliance and paperwork.
    What I can't really understand is.. when you drive to a different state and buy something, you pay their sales tax on that purchase. So why not just have a seller pay sales tax on ALL purchases that internet shoppers make to the state you're operating in? Every state would get more tax revenue that way and the states with entrepreneurs and businesses would see more revenue than states without a lot of businesses. Paying to individual states and localities when the business isn't based in those states is like saying retail stores should have to pay sales tax back to the state for every out of state purchaser that buys something in the store.

Agreed, and punishing the little business or making tax collection so complex it requires a dedicated employee for a large company is idiotic. Reality is buyers should just pay the tax as required, and be held responsible for adhering to the already existing laws. (I don’t like to pay tax either....but)

Let’s be realistic, unless you paid cash, your purchase is documented and in an audit, you will be caught not paying sales tax. A simple credit card audit and pow....busted. I just pay the use tax. Especially as a business, since I keep the receipts and deduct the purchases. My own documentation will prove there is money owed for sales tax.

4 months later

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ovfdfireman.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/supreme-court-passes-online-sales-tax-?tu=ovfdfireman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.