(Topic ID: 219716)

PRICE INCREASE - Supreme Court Passes online sales tax

By ovfdfireman

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

o (resized).jpg
    o (resized).jpg
    stacks-image-2b73051 (resized).jpg
    LOST2018 (resized).png
    2d2j78 (resized).jpg
    OhGod12.jpeg (resized).jpg
    IMG_1530 (resized).PNG
    pasted_image (resized).png
    NeroDen (resized).jpg
    caspersan (resized).jpg
    sunset (resized).jpg
    2d27oc (resized).jpg
    RQPa2zE~2 (resized).jpg
    817898738 (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-06-27 at 10.20.25 PM (resized).png
    Solid_Gold_Crapper (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #349 Thread warning. Stay off taxation politics. Posted by TigerLaw (5 years ago)

Post #363 State by state sales tax rates. Posted by o-din (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider o-din.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#92 5 years ago

Two things-

Is this only for internet sales? If so how many people purchase their pinball machines over the internet?

Other thing is many states including Ca. require you to pay a use tax on items purchased from out of state anyway. Items over $1000 you pay the regular rate. So are people bitching that they can no longer get away with not paying required taxes until later?

#95 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

People are bitching that these rules will actually be used instead of just being ignored like they are now.

I see. So people are bitching that they can no longer get away with not paying the taxes they owe. lol

Quoted from TheLaw:

I'm guessing many more than you & I assume. I mean anytime you see a thread with someone getting a NIB I assume it's internet

An NIB game is quite a big purchase to use Paypal. Credit card, or check takes that out of the equation.

Carry on people... until the next new law to bitch about.

#104 5 years ago
    Quoted from PiperPinball:

In CA my property tax is $12,277.14 for the year.
    The question is: Do you ever really own your property/land if its paid for?
    with property taxes> no.

Mine's under $1000 a year, so about $3 a day or less than what they are charging for one of those new, fresh, quarter pounders at MickyDs.

So unless something changes or they do away with prop 13, I'll be staying put, and let all the newcomers and new homebuyers pay the majority.

And yes, I do own it, free and clear.

#109 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinless:

Lol, the only way someone in CA has $1000 property tax bill is if they’ve lived in the house 30+ years.

15 years now. My how time flies when you're having fun. Doesn't bother me one bit that the newcomers that live in the same style house in the same neighborhood are paying near $10,000 a year. In fact any time that crosses my mind, I get a warm, fuzzy feeling inside.

#116 5 years ago

>

#119 5 years ago

_

#121 5 years ago

#126 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

You are trapped into continued living in the same "old" house until you die because of a tax angle situation.

It could be worse. At least I have a 7-11 and a liquor store within walking distance.

Plus this isn't entirely true. There is a rule within prop 13 that if someone over 55 wants to downsize they can take their property tax with them as long as the new place, say a condo at the beach, costs less than they sell the house for.

Or I could rent it out for $4000 a month, keep paying the low property tax on it and go wherever I want.

But at least for now, I do like it here.

#128 5 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

You could live like a king in Thailand. Maybe even get your own elephant.

Living like a King right now! In fact look what I'm working on today. What I've always liked about this house is the long driveway with the detached two car garage in the back. No stragglers walking down the sidewalk mess with me or my stuff.

DSCN5899 (resized).JPGDSCN5899 (resized).JPG
    #129 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

What I've always liked about this house is the long driveway with the detached two car garage in the back. No stragglers walking down the sidewalk mess with me or my stuff.

carros-cinema-dinamicar (resized).jpgcarros-cinema-dinamicar (resized).jpg
    #132 5 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

I guess as long as most people have the car in the drive, pizza in the oven, phone in their hand, and can take their annual trips to Disneyland then most wont care.

I can ride my bike to Disneyland in about 20 minutes and strap it to the bike rack near the entrance and not pay their exorbitant parking fees.

#166 5 years ago
    Quoted from Cybergoonie:

Hence the Exodus out of California. Sucks what the politicians have done to the once Beautiful Golden State.

A huge exodus from Ca., especially those that came here from somewhere else to make it their own and turned it into the rat race it has become, isn't exactly a bad thing.

There is never going to be enough water anyway so all new construction needs to stop, pronto.

#177 5 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Just a friendly reminder gang: try and generally stay off politics.

Yeah, we're talking overpriced real estate here.

#184 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Due to lack of housing and cost of living it seems the middle class is fleeing some areas of Cali out of necessity?

No. It's because I'm scaring them all out of here. Newcomers and oldcomers alike.

#187 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

two classes of people, the wealthy and the homeless.

Make that three! We got the wealthy, the homeless, and the I don't give a shits.

#195 5 years ago

Yeah, what I save on property tax, I more than make up for on alcohol, tobacco and weed tax.

#197 5 years ago

That's what we pay for the convenience of being able to walk into a store and buy weed, instead of hustling it in the back alley of some ghetto.

#203 5 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

How are the Taxes in Hong Kong? Sales tax? etc?

My neighborhood's starting to look like Hong Kong.

#205 5 years ago

No comprende, it's a riddle.

201252-stripmall-pizza-sign (resized).jpg201252-stripmall-pizza-sign (resized).jpg
    #207 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

Doing their best to assimilate.

They aint assimilating me!

download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg
    #211 5 years ago

To all the MIAS that grew up in Garden Grove and are finally on their way back, welcome home!

vietnam_500x279 (resized).jpgvietnam_500x279 (resized).jpg
    #218 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

All in one location = You are one hell of a lucky SOB !

Only problem is in high school, the foreign language I studied was German.

#221 5 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

You left off "Hollywood Video Center"

And "Variety & Bargain"

#224 5 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

You'll notice that sign is in Toronto - the 416 area code is a big clue. We are the most multicultural city in the world and that mix of ethnic foods is everywhere. I do consider myself lucky.

Today, Google is not my friend-- I searched So Cal signs. Plenty of others though...

#226 5 years ago

Now, we're talkin' So Cal!

130411145047-08-bourdain-horizontal-large-gallery (resized).jpg130411145047-08-bourdain-horizontal-large-gallery (resized).jpg
    #229 5 years ago

Why I stay in So Cal-

Where else can I get paid $15 an hour to sit around this smog shop three days a week trying to keep you guys entertained?

#232 5 years ago

Here's your sign!

o (resized).jpgo (resized).jpg
    #234 5 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Beware of Kong Dong!

And automobeeeels!

1327773723_long-duk-dong_480_poster (resized).jpg1327773723_long-duk-dong_480_poster (resized).jpg
    #236 5 years ago

Well said. Because of this Compton is well on it's way to becoming the next Beverly Hills!

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2017/12/19/compton-hot-new-housing-market/

#238 5 years ago

Now that's the funniest shit I've seen all day!

#241 5 years ago
    Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

We had a name for the homeless once. Bums.

In Orange County they were known as "river dwellers" or "Angels fans", but it got too crowded so they are getting shipped down to Irvine to let them deal with it.

hqdefault (resized).jpghqdefault (resized).jpg
    #244 5 years ago
    Quoted from charles4400:

Dude those pics are of K-Town (Korea Town) in LA lol! You know like Little Italy in San Diego. Or Chinatown in most major cities.
    No most of SoCal does not look like that...unless you live in K-Town!

How bout lovely Hacienda Heights, Garden Grove, or Westminster?

#275 5 years ago

I'd say putting up road signs that say things like "Little Baghdad Next Exit", in towns that already have perfectly good names, is a waste of taxpayers money.

#277 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I gotta ask, since this hasn't been about pinball for about a week, maybe it's finally time to take this thread out back and shoot it?

I don't think it ever was about pinball. lol.

#280 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The first 2 or 3 posts were!

I think they were under the impression this would be a new tax that didn't exist before.

Personally taxes I pay don't bother me as I don't make much to begin with, so they don't take much and they are better than the other inevitable thing in life.... death .

#294 5 years ago

All I know is when they spend $20,000 on a toilet seat and it isn't even officially licensed Supreme gear,

now that's wasteful spending!

#308 5 years ago

I'm not worried about Social Security running out.

I'll be collecting it when many here will still be working high paying jobs to support their fancy car and NIB pinball habits well into their 60s and maybe 70s. And of course they will be on paying into it.

What me worry?

#309 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

STRAIGHT INTO COMPTON

BusBoys version.

#324 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

What's left in the bay area

817898738 (resized).jpg817898738 (resized).jpg
    #328 5 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

Funny I'm 46 and can't retire until 68

2d27oc (resized).jpg2d27oc (resized).jpg
    #330 5 years ago
    Quoted from Grayman_EM:

I did and now enjoy a good refund every year.

I prefer not to get a refund and have my cash when I earn it.

#332 5 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Speaking of Taxes, who does this look like?

Who is Jeff Spicoli?

#335 5 years ago

I try to set it up so I owe them or they owe me less than $100 each year. That way they aren't earning interest on my money and I have it to spend, and I don't owe them a big chunk of change all at once.

#339 5 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

a US man turning 50 today could expect to live til 82 on average

How about a 55 year old that gets drunk as a skunk every night and smokes almost two packs a day?

#346 5 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

George Burns did all right.

Heck yeah he did! He almost outlived John Denver.

OhGod12.jpeg (resized).jpgOhGod12.jpeg (resized).jpg
    #348 5 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

I'm going to party all the way to the grave and enjoy the ride.

I was so torched last night until who knows when in the wee hours of the morning, I'm surprised I made it into work by 9:18 today.

But feeling like a champ right now and ready to do it all over again when I get home.

#351 5 years ago

Back on topic!

2d2j78 (resized).jpg2d2j78 (resized).jpg
    #354 5 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:Deleted post

It's the suede denim secret police! And they've come for your uncool niece!

#359 5 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

It's a mute point.

Like that deaf, dumb and blind kid that sure plays a mean pinball?

#363 5 years ago

Alright, no more funny stuff.

This just about sizes up the whole thing right here for those that aren't aware of the sales tax rate in their own state.

Really not much else left to talk about.
    LOST2018 (resized).pngLOST2018 (resized).png

#365 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I also didn't know they throw all those small decimals in there.

That's probably the exact reason we still use pennies. lol. I don't mind our near 9% rate as long as they use some of it to fill holes with more cement.

#368 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Ah well then, let's close up the thread everyone.

One last thing though.

This is the first time any of my posts have been highlighted as being important. I feel like a proud papa!

#375 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

I don’t like to get the bouncing email at the top of the page

Mine's been on perma bounce for the last two years.

1 week later
    #410 5 years ago
    Quoted from Reality_Studio:

paying off a mortgage is a mistake.

living "debt-free" would just add stress to our lives

stacks-image-2b73051 (resized).jpgstacks-image-2b73051 (resized).jpg
    #413 5 years ago
    Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Leverage it on what, exactly?

Leverage on making sure you keep on kissing whoever you work for's ass.

Heaven forbid losing whatever job is paying for your sky high mortgage payments.

Since I paid off my house 15 years ago, I've had a few periods of unemployment, mostly because the boss was a real dickhead, and never felt the need to beg to keep said job. Life's been stress free and easy since I decided long ago to owe nobody a thing.

#416 5 years ago

It's true though! And I've even watched my aging process slow to a crawl. I don't want to owe anybody anything or be under anybody elses control but my own.

Some of it came from years of hard work, and some of it was good timing, but now I am free to wander around my own back yard in whatever condition I might be till who knows when in the middle of the night without even thinking about if I have to work the next day or not. But I always get there anyway on the few days I do.

#418 5 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

The just the sacrifices you have to make to support that $2/day burrito habit.

I'll admit it does get a little boring sometimes. Like yesterday I woke up on one of my days off and the only thing that really needed doing was fixing a door hinge to my laundry room. So I farted around, wasted most of the day, and never got to that door hinge.

But sure beats sitting on the freeway for three hours just so I can spend another ten working for some asshole I don't like in the first place.

I was craving that burrito, but settled on leftover brisket instead. Today though, I'm treating myself to Pedros.

#420 5 years ago
    Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

1. I am retired and can pay my balance off with money I have in the bank.
    2. My payment is 1500 bucks.
    3. You don't know everything.

What I do know, Mr. D-Gottlieb, was my statements were in regards to those that mentioned having a mortgage and being in debt was a good thing.

But sure, I have no idea what the price of tea in China is at any given moment, or how they even choose what the next pinball themes will be. Among many other things I don't really care to know about.

#422 5 years ago

Yeah my response wasn't meant to be directed at you. It's just that word "leverage" keeps coming up.

I do know if somebody misses enough house payments, they will be "leveraged" homeless.

#424 5 years ago
    Quoted from bellbrand:

Yummy love Pedro’s after a day at San Onofre..

They've got one in Fullerton of all places now, so you don't even need to go surfing to eat there anymore.

Believe it or not that is one of the reason's I'm staying put.

#426 5 years ago
    Quoted from bellbrand:

Oh really I’m close to Fullerton thanks for the info

I knew you were, that's why I mentioned it. Harbor blvd just north of downtown.

There's also one in Boston of all places.

#428 5 years ago

None of that needed for this finely tuned, cast iron stomach.

Only real extra expense is the Jack Daniels habit, but price is down to $25 for the big bottle at Costco.

#431 5 years ago

I'm self employed, partially retired at 47 and the the rent money from our rental pays for both our properties so none of your typical snarky comments apply to me. Ugh sometimes I wonder if you guys are being purposely obtuse or really just don't understand the financial boons available to you in this country.

Good for you! Nice to be counting on others to pay for your properties and bills and whatever else it takes to make you rich.

But I'd still much rather be me. I may not be wealthy or really care to be, or own more property than I need or can take care of by myself, but I'm living my dream. I don't get offended that easy and I certainly try not to walk around or talk around like I've got some stick up my ass.

But most important is I have plenty of free time to enjoy each beautiful day to the fullest as I see fit without the need to manage a bunch of other crap or have to deal with people that I don't really want to.

#434 5 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

Dude, I don't think you understand. It's not about getting rich. It's about financial independence.

No, you don't understand. I have found a way to be financially independent without the big investments or tax liabilities that come with them, or even having to think about the next economic crash, which experience tells me can happen at any time. I keep things as simple as possible, so I don't worry about anything. But I don't really need to over explain why. It's just the way I want it. I may not thrive, but I know I'll survive.

I owned a rental property two blocks from the ocean years ago that I got for a song in the late 80s , but I got tired of dealing with the tenants and everything else involved and wanted to go on a surfing safari, so sold it and did that with the profit over 20 years ago. Would it be nice to still own a three bedroom condo by the San Clemente pier and use it on weekends, rent it or take the windfall now? Sure. But in the end I don't need it or want it. I'm happy right here on cloud nothing.

#437 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

I cant stand dealing with the dumbasses making excuses as to why they cant pay the rent and being on call 24/7.

Life's too short to deal with assholes if you really don't have to to survive. And the world's full of them. More and more every day. Cutting ties with any and all of them is worth way more than any financial gain IMO.

#444 5 years ago

That's fine, like I said to each their own. But you love to mock others opinions with backhanded posts and snarky comments (not your first time) so don't be surprised when you are called out on it.

Sure, and on the other hand if you pretend to be a financial adviser on a pinball forum where many don't care about your success story or how you got there, or think your advice is ridiculous and have their own way of living and doing things that suits them better, then be prepared for said comments.

#446 5 years ago
    Quoted from dnapac:

am I taxed on the original price, the out standing balance, or not taxed...as this was sold/had a downpayment before the law was enacted?

The law has always been there in many places, the new version of the law means it will now be easier for them to collect said taxes.

I believe Iowa has a state tax of just about 7%, so that is what you will owe on your entire purchase price if they already had a use tax law in place before you made your purchase. You might want to check with your local tax office for more details.

#448 5 years ago

Yep, Boston. Apparently it is so popular there, they had to close up shop and are moving to a larger location. And I thought the drive thru at one of the San Clemente locations had long lines....

#451 5 years ago

I apologize to everybody here!

For not being overly ambitious, not trying to take the easy way to riches, not going along with the crowd, and mostly for turning a serious thread into a Pedros ad.

4 weeks later
    #465 5 years ago
    Quoted from plowpusher:

Pinball resource out of state call in orders have been sales tax free so who knows if anybody knows what the tax rules are anymore .

Rules are a personal check is probably gonna be harder for them to track than a paypal purchase.

Hail PBResource, hail Steve Young.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider o-din.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/supreme-court-passes-online-sales-tax-?tu=o-din and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.