(Topic ID: 219716)

PRICE INCREASE - Supreme Court Passes online sales tax

By ovfdfireman

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

o (resized).jpg
    o (resized).jpg
    stacks-image-2b73051 (resized).jpg
    LOST2018 (resized).png
    2d2j78 (resized).jpg
    OhGod12.jpeg (resized).jpg
    IMG_1530 (resized).PNG
    pasted_image (resized).png
    NeroDen (resized).jpg
    caspersan (resized).jpg
    sunset (resized).jpg
    2d27oc (resized).jpg
    RQPa2zE~2 (resized).jpg
    817898738 (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-06-27 at 10.20.25 PM (resized).png
    Solid_Gold_Crapper (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #349 Thread warning. Stay off taxation politics. Posted by TigerLaw (5 years ago)

Post #363 State by state sales tax rates. Posted by o-din (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider littlecammi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#396 5 years ago

I worked for 8-1/2 years at one company and then got married. Came back from our two week honeymoon to find the company was being sold and I would be out of a job in a month. Not what I needed right after getting married.

Then I worked at another company for 9 years while saving up for a down payment on my first home. At 7.5% interest at the time, I realized that (because of the sizeable down payment I had saved up) if I could only come up with another $20K down I could take a 15 year mortgage for the same monthly payment as a 30 year mortgage would be without it. So I squeezed finances for a while to come up with $10K more and borrowed the other $10K from my parents. The first year in the house I paid my folks back $1000 each month in addition to making the monthly mortgage payments. Then I lost that job as the owner was in his early seventies and wanted to retire, but both of his sons had already received their million dollar trust funds and neither wanted to work at running the company so he sold it to an out-of-state operation and all 85 people in the office lost their jobs. Not what I needed just one year after taking out a mortgage and buying my house.

But then I got the job I'm still at today, and I paid that 15 year mortgage off in 12-1/2 years by making one extra payment each year (after the first year), with the extra one year's worth of 12 payments eliminating another 1-1/2 years worth of interest. I like being debt free. I have few credit cards and only use them for the convenience, always paying the balance in full each month and never paying a cent in interest. Anything else must be saved up for and only be purchased when we have the funds in hand. That way we now own six cars which were purchased new but have not had a car payment in over 30 years.

The pinball machines I like are really expensive now. The most I have paid for a game is $6500 (for Stern Mustang Boss premium and also for the beat Monster Bash and the ton of new parts it took to completely restore it). I was worried that an even higher price tag for Elvira 3 when it comes out would be vetoed by my wife (who thinks I already have enough stuff), but having to pay taxes on top of that will certainly kill any chance for me buying it.

#409 5 years ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

The most I have paid for a game is $6500 for Stern Mustang Boss premium.

Quoted from fosaisu:

It would be interesting to know what % of buyers were working with out-of-state distributors to avoid sales tax, vs. shopping local and already paying their taxes.

I live in the Chicago area. I was willing to buy local and pay sales tax if I could pick up the game at Stern and save on shipping, but no! It was $6500 plus tax here in Illinois (and I'd still have to pick it up from someplace like GAP) or $6500 delivered to my house if I ordered out-of-state.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider littlecammi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/supreme-court-passes-online-sales-tax-?tu=littlecammi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.