(Topic ID: 219716)

PRICE INCREASE - Supreme Court Passes online sales tax

By ovfdfireman

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

o (resized).jpg
    o (resized).jpg
    stacks-image-2b73051 (resized).jpg
    LOST2018 (resized).png
    2d2j78 (resized).jpg
    OhGod12.jpeg (resized).jpg
    IMG_1530 (resized).PNG
    pasted_image (resized).png
    NeroDen (resized).jpg
    caspersan (resized).jpg
    sunset (resized).jpg
    2d27oc (resized).jpg
    RQPa2zE~2 (resized).jpg
    817898738 (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-06-27 at 10.20.25 PM (resized).png
    Solid_Gold_Crapper (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #349 Thread warning. Stay off taxation politics. Posted by TigerLaw (5 years ago)

Post #363 State by state sales tax rates. Posted by o-din (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cottonm4.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#123 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Mine's under $1000 a year, so about $3 a day or less than what they are charging for one of those new, fresh, quarter pounders at MickyDs.
    So unless something changes or they do away with prop 13, I'll be staying put, and let all the newcomers and new homebuyers pay the majority.
    And yes, I do own it, free and clear.

Quoted from o-din:

Mine's under $1000 a year, so about $3 a day or less than what they are charging for one of those new, fresh, quarter pounders at MickyDs.
    So unless something changes or they do away with prop 13, I'll be staying put, and let all the newcomers and new homebuyers pay the majority.
    And yes, I do own it, free and clear.

Interesting. You are trapped into continued living in the same "old" house until you die because of a tax angle situation.

I read all you posters here living in the $500K homes with big taxes and I shudder.

I bought my little bitty 2 bedroom house in 1979 for less than $40K.

But something happened in my neighborhood and now forty years later the value of my house is less than $50K.

On the one hand, it is nice because my annual property taxes are less than $700.00. But, OTOH, I am forever trapped in this house because the worldwide market has appreciated and left me behind. I could not afford to move even if I wanted to. I'm mortgage free with low taxes and I am happy with that.

#143 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

This really sucks big time. I am sick of all the damn taxes we have to pay and knowing that most of our tax dollars are wasted and given to bottom feeders just makes it more sickening. I truly believe that this is going to be a game changer for big items like pinball machines and i think it could be the straw that breaks the camels back for pinball companies and other companies as well. This is going to put alot of people out of business and cause alot of people to lose their jobs. Greedy F'ing Bastards!!!

Who are the bottom feeders? And who are the greedy bastards? I would imagine opinions on who fits in these two catagories will range far and wide.

#202 5 years ago

Sort of on topic. Canada--the entire country---is/ or has
    legalized Mary Jane. The tax possibilities were just too rich to continue to ignore.

#310 5 years ago

Interesting how a post that started out talking about new sales tax rules has morphed into a general discussion on taxes in general.

Amazon bitched about collecting sales tax for quite a long time and got a free ride at the expense of the brick and mortar stores. Amazon finally got too big too ignore and has been charging sales tax (to me anyway) for the last couple of years. Apple has been charging me sales tax for a long time so nothing new for these two large outfits.

But Amazon also sells Amazon Services which is some sort of computer time to small companies. Since Amazon already has the sales tax angle worked out for every city and county in the country, I'm guessing that Amazon will consider selling its "sales tax capabilities and services" to all of the mom's and pop's stores in the country. It is just a guess and I could be wrong but it is not outside the realm of possibility.

#361 5 years ago
    Quoted from cumulonimbus:

The current sales tax 'nexus' law varies per state and many states currently don't have a law in place, but probably will soon to get in on the sales tax bonanza.
    Using Jersey Jack as an example:
    *If JJP was doing more than $10,000 in volume and/or have more than 200 transactions annually in Washington State then they would have to charge customers in WA. sales tax.
    *Ohio rules or 'nexus' currently is $500,000 or more in sales so JJP probably would not have to charge sales tax there.
    *Alabama, Ct. and Ms is $250,000 to hit the sales tax
    *IL, Ky, RI, top out at $100,000 or 200 transactions
    Point is, state internet laws are currently all over the place with Pa, Wa, and Ok being the lowest at $10,000 billed annually before sales tax would be charged.
    Stay tuned, as if Congress takes a run at this (T.B.D) it will all change, as right now it's up to each individual state to decide.

I thought it would turn into that it does not matter what state your company lives in; I thought you will be charging applicable tax at the destination state.

1 week later
    #384 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Never considered p[aying off my mortgage. You'll always need to get new one to pay for something.

You guys give me a heart attack. I paid my little old house off in 1995. My best car is a 2003 model. I'm not fancy in neighborhood or going down the road. I try my best to live cheap. It saved my ass several times in the 1990s as I kept getting laid off, then recalled, then laid off again.

This all takes me back to my first decent paying job in 1979. Another guy who hired in with me was working in Colorado and was transferred to Louisiana. He did not care for crawfish country so he quit and headed home to Mother Kansas. He was in process of buying a house with his home equity from Colorado.

I asked him if he was going to pay all of his equity money on the house he was buying. "Hell Yes !! Fuck those $300.00 a month house payments".

And now, all of you younger guys talk in terms of what a bargain you are getting when your mortgage payment is "only" $1200.00 per month.

#388 5 years ago
    Quoted from Reality_Studio:

It is a bad thing, with rates at 3% to 4% for over a decade now means paying off a mortgage is a mistake.

Yeah. Yeah. Spoken like Wall Street pro. Leverage everything to the max to get that last half point.

I took J. P. Morgan's advise and sold down to a sleeping point. When I paid off in 1995 rates were 8% and 9%. In 2002 rates had backed off to 7%. Nobody saw 0% Fed Funds coming in the future. Hind site being what it is, if I had known rates were going to colapse I would have loaded up on 30 zero coupon bonds in the IRA.

I don't need the leverage and really enjoy not having to make a house payment every month.

#414 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Leverage on making sure you keep on kissing whoever you work for's ass.
    Heaven forbid losing whatever job is paying for your sky high mortgage payments.
    Since I paid off my house 15 years ago, I've had a few periods of unemployment, mostly because the boss was a real dickhead, and never felt the need to beg to keep said job. Life's been stress free and easy since I decided long ago to owe nobody a thing.

You cannot put a price on that !

#442 5 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

Dude, I don't think you understand. It's not about getting rich. It's about financial independence. 100k can buy you leverage to 5 100k houses. Over 10 years you rent them and use the profits to pay them off. At the end of 10 years, you've probably got $600k to 700k in houses probably bringing in $1200 a month each in rent. So $6k a month, $72k a year. All for your original $100k. So then you don't have to work if you don't want (at least in some lower cost areas).
    You have to have cash flow to be financial independent. Leverage can provide the means to do that IF you buy them right and not overpay. There are guys out there buying strictly on appreciation and that's how people got into trouble in 2008 and will probably happen again this next recession. But if you buy for cash flow, your downside is minimal as long as you have some backup funds and a job.
    Btw, this isn't just for rental houses. Commercial property, storage, car washes, etc. can all provide pretty good ROI. It's about expanding your horizons.

Why do I get an image in my head that you are going to be linking us to a video of you sitting in a rented business jet telling us to "just buy my books and you can learn to be rich. " ?

You are starting to remind me of Dave Deldado from the 90s.

#454 5 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

I apologize if I offended you which it appears like I did. Do whatever you want. First time I've ever been called an infomercial, lol, I grew up on a farm in a town of 300 and spent my summers detasseling and weeding soybeans, the farthest thing from city life imaginable. I know what it's like to not have any money, we lived in a rental house till I was 13.

No. You did not offend me. I'm too old and have been down too many roads for that. Both of my parents grew up country and moved to the city. They were hard working, with no real education beyond high school. Both grew up during the Great Depression. My mother was a little kid when her farmer/rancher dad lost it all. They grew up with nothing and the promise of a steady job was the prize plum they sought. My dad had a small town Ford dealership in the 50s. In 1960, the economy sent south and he went broke. He finished his life working is sales.

I was not taught the ways of business when I was growing up. The risk-adverse mantra was get an education and get a job. Hustling real estate was not something that was taught. Lots of people have made lots of money in real estate. A lot of people have gone broke. Some took the risk and hit the waves at the right time.

I don't know how you got started in RE, but if you want to talk about leveraging up and you need to consider who your audience is before you expound on the virtues of leverage. You can't talk using leverage to buy multiple properties to a guy who has never owned a rental; You have first educate him on the virtues of even owning a rental, in the first place.

In 1986, after he retired from the Navy with a pension, and with a working wife with a paycheck, he ventured into RE. He lived outside Dallas. HE bought some acreage, and do to luck and good timing, he moved the acres in less than month and doubled his money. Not long after, the RE market in Dallas fell out of bed and the buyer who bought brother's acres was stuck holding for several years.

In the meantime, to avoid a cap gains tax hit, brother bought two duplexes for tax shelter and income. In 1997, brother died. My two nephews each inherited a duplex. One nephew sold out after 3-4 years. The other nephew sold out after 20 years. He was tired of all the BS it can take dealing with subpar renters. RE in the Dallas area has been going nuts on the upside. I have seen several long time land lords cashing out.

So, I am not offended by what you have been saying. I am offended to what I feel is you glossing over the risks. Leverage always has risks. You want to deal with the leverage; I respect that. But a lot us are not interested in leverage up. Please try to understand and respect that.

Thanks.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cottonm4.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/supreme-court-passes-online-sales-tax-?tu=cottonm4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.