(Topic ID: 219716)

PRICE INCREASE - Supreme Court Passes online sales tax

By ovfdfireman

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

o (resized).jpg
    o (resized).jpg
    stacks-image-2b73051 (resized).jpg
    LOST2018 (resized).png
    2d2j78 (resized).jpg
    OhGod12.jpeg (resized).jpg
    IMG_1530 (resized).PNG
    pasted_image (resized).png
    NeroDen (resized).jpg
    caspersan (resized).jpg
    sunset (resized).jpg
    2d27oc (resized).jpg
    RQPa2zE~2 (resized).jpg
    817898738 (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-06-27 at 10.20.25 PM (resized).png
    Solid_Gold_Crapper (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #349 Thread warning. Stay off taxation politics. Posted by TigerLaw (5 years ago)

Post #363 State by state sales tax rates. Posted by o-din (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Reality_Studio.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#251 5 years ago
    Quoted from charles4400:

Let me guess, you live near or in Garden Grove/ Westminister? But I don't get it what are you saying that there is a large Asian population in those areas. Yes there is, but is that how all or even most of Socal is or looks like...absolutely not!
    Go a little further south to Fountain Valley, Lake Forest, Laguna Niguel and Mission Viejo and is that what you see all around?
    Or let's look West and North of LA in Santa Monica, Woodland Hills, Thousand Oaks, Oxnard into Santa Barbara... still see the same thing?
    That might be 100% of what you see in front of you but that doesn't mean that is what it looks like everywhere, especially all of SoCal.
    Definitely diverse no doubt about that. Around all large metropolitan areas in any major city (Especially cities with a population of > 2 million), there are ALWAYS surrounding areas and cities which will have a more specific concentrated ethnic demographic.
    In other words most major cities will have areas with shopping center signs you can't read. But that doesn't mean those signs are everywhere you turn and anywhere you go.
    I've lived most of my life in LA working in real estate and have a pretty decent idea of demographics in many many areas all around LA and Orange County.
    So it's bs to put a pic of a shopping center sign from an ethnic specific area and say "hey look at whats happening in all of SoCal can you believe it!?".
    WAY too much of that going on in general and I won't even get into all the examples we see of this in our current political..errr.. state affairs..
    I mean you could take a pic of any of these districts in LA and say "WTF? Why can't they assimilate"...... pfffttt.

Thanks for posting this. I've lived in various countries, states, cities, etc and Los Angeles is by *far* the most misunderstood and misrepresented city. I have no idea how people generalize a city like LA when it has so much variety in people, places, scenery, food, cultures, language, etc, there's nothing like it. Absolutely incredible place to live, we love it here.

2 weeks later
    #385 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

And now, all of you younger guys talk in terms of what a bargain you are getting when your mortgage payment is "only" $1200.00 per month.

A mortgage is a bargain because it can make you a pile of money. Interest rates have been so low that you are better off leveraging that. To each their own of course, but personally paying off a mortgage is a financial mistake.

#387 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Yeah i hate having my home paid for. Its one of the worst things that has ever happened to me.

It is a bad thing, with rates at 3% to 4% for over a decade now means paying off a mortgage is a mistake.

#393 5 years ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

Being debt- or mortgage-free is NEVER a bad thing, and having some debt can be a good thing. But life is way more than finances.

I totally agree life is more than finances, that's *exactly* why you leverage low interest when you can, so you can live more stress free.

Quoted from Black_Knight:

I'll take a guess and say you are younger than average pinsider, have never been unemployed for an extended period of time, and didn't loose your ass in the 2007 RE crash. Those that have hold different values than you, and owning their house outright brings a sense of security that they value far more than being leveraged.

I'm 47.

I have been unemployed, this is all the more reason to leverage great mortgage rates while you can!

Our home value plummeted during 2007-2011. This only hurt people if you had to sell and not buy another place, in most cases it was because people didn't buy a property within their means (ie, having a mortgage close to what rent would be). If you didn't then you just lived in your house like normal. For us it was beneficial because our property taxes went down for a decade, and now the property value is back and then some.

This has nothing at all to do with values, it's just a way to earn more money to make dealing with the situations you brought up far easier.

Real world example, yes we could have paid off our mortgage, and in fact had planned to do so to be so called "debt-free" some time ago. It's what everyone parroted at the time as the thing to do and we were going to go along with it. I mentioned that when talking to some guys who were far richer than I was at some gathering, and they looked at me like I was from the moon. They set me straight, no you don't pay off your mortgage when rates are at 3-4%. Instead we took their advice, took that money and rather than pay off our mortgage we bought another property that we rented out, nothing lavish but something within our means.

Result? Aside from 6 figures of appreciation in the price of the rental since we bought it, that property is free to us being paid off by renters and we make rent money profit every month.

Now we're saving up to do it again in a couple of years, assuming rates remain reasonably low. This way even if we are both unemployed we still get paid from rent money, it makes being unemployed *easier* to manage making life less stressful. It has other benefits but I'm not going to get into it all. Ultimately when we retire the plan is to have three fully paid off homes, one to live in and two delivering rent money so that we aren't dependent on retirement funds. This also makes life far stressful since check any forum (including this one) as people bitch all the time that retirement funds won't be there for them when they get around to retiring. In our case it won't matter since we'll have rent money, as we're taking advantage of low mortgage rates again within our means.

In other words, living "debt-free" would just add stress to our lives and put us in a worse situation. So like I said I agree, there is more to life than finances. I'd rather enjoy life rather than worry about unemployment, retirement funds, etc. But like I said to each their own, do what works for you. I was merely responding to the being "debt-free" is always good. It's not.

#429 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Leverage on making sure you keep on kissing whoever you work for's ass.
    Heaven forbid losing whatever job is paying for your sky high mortgage payments.
    Since I paid off my house 15 years ago, I've had a few periods of unemployment, mostly because the boss was a real dickhead, and never felt the need to beg to keep said job. Life's been stress free and easy since I decided long ago to owe nobody a thing.

I'm self employed, partially retired at 47 and the the rent money from our rental pays for both our properties so none of your typical snarky comments apply to me. Ugh sometimes I wonder if you guys are being purposely obtuse or really just don't understand the financial boons available to you in this country. Good god guys you can even deduct your mortgage interest in the USA! Well whatever y'all are free to do/believe whatever you want. Pay off your mortgages, store your money under a mattress, seriously why should I care.

#438 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I'm happy right here on cloud nothing.

That's fine, like I said to each their own. But you love to mock others opinions with backhanded posts and snarky comments (not your first time) so don't be surprised when you are called out on it.

Quoted from Who-Dey:

Im not getting ran over anymore.

Just get a property manager if you don't want to deal with any of that.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Reality_Studio.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/supreme-court-passes-online-sales-tax-?tu=Reality_Studio and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.