(Topic ID: 219716)

PRICE INCREASE - Supreme Court Passes online sales tax

By ovfdfireman

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

o (resized).jpg
    o (resized).jpg
    stacks-image-2b73051 (resized).jpg
    LOST2018 (resized).png
    2d2j78 (resized).jpg
    OhGod12.jpeg (resized).jpg
    IMG_1530 (resized).PNG
    pasted_image (resized).png
    NeroDen (resized).jpg
    caspersan (resized).jpg
    sunset (resized).jpg
    2d27oc (resized).jpg
    RQPa2zE~2 (resized).jpg
    817898738 (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-06-27 at 10.20.25 PM (resized).png
    Solid_Gold_Crapper (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #349 Thread warning. Stay off taxation politics. Posted by TigerLaw (5 years ago)

Post #363 State by state sales tax rates. Posted by o-din (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

There are 467 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 10.
    #1 5 years ago

Looks like pinball machines will now be the same locally as they are shipped, how does this change things when sales tax is collected everywhere? I know a lot of folks buy out of state to save taxes. Now buying local can save shipping.

https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/video/supreme-court-ruling-on-internet-sales-tax-may-impact-consumer-spending-1261313091708?cid=eml_onsite

#2 5 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

Looks like pinball machines will now be the same locally as they are shipped, how does this change things when sales tax is collected everywhere? I know a lot of folks buy out of state to save taxes. Now buying local can save shipping.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/video/supreme-court-ruling-on-internet-sales-tax-may-impact-consumer-spending-1261313091708?cid=eml_onsite

Probably going to tank the market honestly It's like 7 to 10% increase overnight. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if this doesn't tank the entire online big ticket item industry.

#3 5 years ago

well if you are gonna pay taxes may as well pay them locally and help your infrastructure / schools / etc

#4 5 years ago

When does this go into effect?

#5 5 years ago

This will affect Ebay sales to??

#6 5 years ago

Road trip to Oregon.

#7 5 years ago

I would say at minimum now you can deal with anyone, whomever you like best...fair playing field for local or online, prices should be about the same

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Road trip to Oregon.

Totally!

#9 5 years ago

This seems like a nightmare for companies to deal with. Would they have to remit the sales tax to the state of the purchaser? So for example, would Pinball Life have to send sales tax payments to all 50 states (if they sold to someone in every one)?

#10 5 years ago

In America we are literally taxed to death now!

#11 5 years ago

That sucks for my business. Nc tax is enough headache as it is.
    Now if they made it a fed tax and split it out to the states it would be easier on business owners.

#12 5 years ago

Only companies that have more than $100,000 in sales have to collect the State sales taxes, so ebayer are probably OK.

But companies that sell pinball machines are going to get sacked....

#13 5 years ago

Amazon already collects tax, is their tax rate going to go up though? I know Trump has a beef with jeff bezos.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

This seems like a nightmare for companies to deal with. Would they have to remit the sales tax to the state of the purchaser? So for example, would Pinball Life have to send sales tax payments to all 50 states (if they sold to someone in every one)?

Yes a nightmare, but even worse than you think. The tax is by county not by state (to my understanding). It is unreasonable for a small business without super fancy software to calculate the many tax rates, and then to make payment, let alone knowing where to submit each of them.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

I know Trump has a beef with jeff bezos.

Bezos owns the Post sooooo the "beef" would appear to be in reverse

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

When does this go into effect?

In many cases states will have to change their laws slightly before it will take effect. So the answer is that it depends. My guess is most states will make this tweak swiftly...

As to whether it “tanks” sales... I don’t think it will. If you can afford a $5000+ new in box toy you can afford an extra 6-8%.

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Amazon already collects tax, is their tax rate going to go up though? I know Trump has a beef with jeff bezos.

That's why no one buys from Amazon any more.

There are 50 places that are cheaper than Amazon, let alone the taxes they collect on top.

If the Canon camera I buy is $6000 at Amazon, B&H and Adorama - I'd be an idiot to by it on Amazon and pay an extra $480 in taxes.

Oregon, Alaska, Delaware, Montana and New Hampshire are going to make a fortune in drop shipping expensive items, lol.......

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I buy from there constantly. I have prime so I almost never pay for shipping. If there's a problem they take it back no questions asked.
    I rarely buy anything on amazon that costs more than a couple hundred dollars, so I'll happily pay my 6% sales tax and have the item left on my doorstep rather than pay 8% locally, and eat up gas.

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from brainmegaphone:

In many cases states will have to change their laws slightly before it will take effect. So the answer is that it depends. My guess is most states will make this tweak swiftly...

As to whether it “tanks” sales... I don’t think it will. If you can afford a $5000+ new in box toy you can afford an extra 6-8%

I doubt it will tank sales, though it will certainly impact it. We are already pushing it (IMO) with NIB prices in the 6-9k range and adding 8-10% is much more than it would have been when prices where 4-5k. My guess is that if anything, used prices will go up some, now that NIB just went up 8-10%, since those prices will be that much more attractive over new.

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from brainmegaphone:

If you can afford a $5000+ new in box toy you can afford an extra 6-8%.

I've never cared for this argument. Money isn't some infinite thing, at a certain point you can't afford it, but also at a certain point it's not worth it.

Sure, if you're willing to spend $5400 maybe you're okay with $5800, but when does it stop? When Stern bumps up prices again, as they keep doing, and a Pro passed the $6k point do you keep buying? It's a far cry from when it was only $4500, and that wasn't too long ago.

I dunno about everyone else, but the money I make isn't going up at the same rate pin prices are.

#22 5 years ago

So the good news in this is that the ruling was somewhat limited -- they didn't even directly approve the Dakota laws but had it sent back to the legislator. They were pretty clear that any law had to be easy to comply with (no county tax stuff I'm assuming) or not burdensome on retailers. The Dakota law in question had the 100,000 or 100 transaction threshold, but this doesn't mean this is some hard limit for other states. I guess we will have to see what laws are passed by other states and how the courts define what burdensome is.

At least that was my five minute take.

#23 5 years ago

At least we don't have to worry about this and how a tariff could effect prices at the same time. Oh, wait.......

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from Litedpinballmods:

At least we don't have to worry about this and how a tariff could effect prices at the same time. Oh, wait.......

yea this is more worrysome. tariff on raw steel (side rails, lockbar mech, lockbar, pinball legs, leg brackets).. then you have whatever tariff china decides to put on exported pcbs. maybe it was smart for stern to startup that factory in brazil.

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I've never cared for this argument. Money isn't some infinite thing, at a certain point you can't afford it, but also at a certain point it's not worth it.
    Sure, if you're willing to spend $5400 maybe you're okay with $5800, but when does it stop? When Stern bumps up prices again, as they keep doing, and a Pro passed the $6k point do you keep buying? It's a far cry from when it was only $4500, and that wasn't too long ago.
    I dunno about everyone else, but the money I make isn't going up at the same rate pin prices are.

Exactly. The worth vs. value is fast fading because of increasing prices and the state tax would put it that much farther toward not being worth it.
    Also, you are right about salaries. They are not going up anywhere near as fast as pinball prices or even inflation of everyday living expenses. Another recession is coming.

#26 5 years ago

I never paid tax on the Pinside Market place.
    Looks like a small donation to pinside is better than shopping online.

#27 5 years ago

This is why I try to buy/sell/trade on line here at Pinside.....

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

well if you are gonna pay taxes may as well pay them locally and help your infrastructure / schools / etc

You still will not be able to find a lot of the items you order online "locally" we the consumers just end up taking it in the rear....

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from PiperPinball:

In America we are literally taxed to death now!

Move to Canada where we pay 13% tax on practically everything we buy (electronics get an additional environmental tax) + get roughly 33% income tax when the tax man comes knocking + everything is more expensive up here. We pay roughly $5.10 per gallon of fuel for our own oil. I just guess you Americans are getting a dose of worldwide reality Paying more taxes sure suck

#30 5 years ago

It's a good thing digital money doesn't have physical weight or the Caymans would be underwater by now.

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from mamemaster:

This is why I try to buy/sell/trade on line here at Pinside.....

As more and more people use digital forms of money instead of cash they will tax the items we trade amongst ourselves also.

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

I buy from there constantly. I have prime so I almost never pay for shipping. If there's a problem they take it back no questions asked.
    I rarely buy anything on amazon that costs more than a couple hundred dollars, so I'll happily pay my 6% sales tax and have the item left on my doorstep rather than pay 8% locally, and eat up gas.

Head East to Cook COuNty and pay 9%...

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

Move to Canada where we pay 13% tax on practically everything we buy (electronics get an additional environmental tax) + get roughly 33% income tax when the tax man comes knocking + everything is more expensive up here. We pay roughly $5.10 per gallon of fuel for our own oil. I just guess you Americans are getting a dose of worldwide reality Paying more taxes sure suck

I was just thinking the same thing haha. Except add another 2% for living in the Maritime's.

#34 5 years ago

Come on, you guys had to see this coming. You know the politicians have already spent this money.

#35 5 years ago

Actually I'm surprised they let it go on this long already.
    You know every state is chomping at the bit to collect their share of taxes.

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

You should see what we pay in healthcare and property taxes. I’d trade for your sales tax rate any day.

#37 5 years ago

Zero taxes have been added. If your state has a sales tax, and you buy something online, you should have been reporting it to the state the whole time.

This just makes the retailers enforce the tax law that everyone has been ignoring forever. Technically it's unfair to the retailer, it's not their job to do the customers taxes, but on the flip side it's probably the only way.

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

hahaha

Quoted from jalpert:

Zero taxes have been added. If your state has a sales tax, and you buy something online, you should have been reporting it to the state the whole time.

This is actually not true, at least in my State.

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

There are 50 places that are cheaper than Amazon, let alone the taxes they collect on top.
    If the Canon camera I buy is $6000 at Amazon, B&H and Adorama - I'd be an idiot to by it on Amazon and pay an extra $480 in taxes.
    Oregon, Alaska, Delaware, Montana and New Hampshire are going to make a fortune in drop shipping expensive items, lol.......

ugh - everyone buys from amazon. Seriously - they print money. Ask any wife in America

#41 5 years ago

Told myself I would never pay more than $5K for a pinball machine and I’ve stuck to my word. This will put NIB pros close to $6K, fuck that!!! I’ll be in the used HUO market thanks.

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Head East to Cook COuNty and pay 9%...

cook county sucks.. my dad is already griping about the elon musk boring project to get people from downtown to ohare in 12 minutes. that billion dollars has to come from somewhere.

#43 5 years ago

I'm so sick of taxes, taxes and more taxes. It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't waste most of the money on a pile of bullshit and lining their own pockets.

It's absolutely disgusting.

#44 5 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I'm so sick of taxes, taxes and more taxes. It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't waste most of the money on a pile of bullshit and lining their own pockets.
    It's absolutely disgusting.

Like foreign aid and policing the world?

#45 5 years ago

Still no sales or income tax in New Hampshire. Property taxes suck though....

#46 5 years ago
    Quoted from TZBen:

Bezos owns the Post sooooo the "beef" would appear to be in reverse

I read on twitter that this is a "great victory for consumers and retailers."

It's even being reported in the Post!

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I already stopped. My MetLE was $6800 shipped. What are Premiums now, $7200-7400?

#48 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

This is actually not true, at least in my State.

In Michigan, the State Return has an entry to pay unpaid sales taxes. The description lists things such as Mail order purchases, Internet purchases and Magazine Subscriptions. You mean you haven't been paying this?

Then we have the "Intangibles Tax" that includes Items of value stored such as stock certificates (.1% or .001 of the value of the stock), precious metals and Gems and my favorite: Cash stored on your person or safe place including Safe Deposit Boxes or non-interest bearing bank acCOuNts (.25% or .0025 of the value).

So, that $50 grand you have stuffed in your lumpy mattress requires you to pay $125.00 to the state every year.

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

In Michigan, the State Return has an entry to pay unpaid sales taxes. The description lists things such as Mail order purchases, Internet purchases and Magazine Subscriptions. You mean you haven't been paying this?
    Then we have the "Intangibles Tax" that includes Items of value stored such as stock certificates (.1% or .001 of the value of the stock), precious metals and Gems and my favorite: Cash stored on your person or safe place including Safe Deposit Boxes or non-interest bearing bank acCOuNts (.25% or .0025 of the value).
    So, that $50 grand you have stuffed in your lumpy mattress requires you to pay $125.00 to the state every year.

Taxing the money you already paid tax on...makes sense. That's a penalty for not spending it on pinball machines

#50 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinless:

You should see what we pay in healthcare and property taxes. I’d trade for your sales tax rate any day.

Not sure what your paying but I'm at $498 a month for property tax, unreal.

There are 467 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/supreme-court-passes-online-sales-tax-?hl=rustylizard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.