(Topic ID: 219716)

PRICE INCREASE - Supreme Court Passes online sales tax

By ovfdfireman

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

o (resized).jpg
    o (resized).jpg
    stacks-image-2b73051 (resized).jpg
    LOST2018 (resized).png
    2d2j78 (resized).jpg
    OhGod12.jpeg (resized).jpg
    IMG_1530 (resized).PNG
    pasted_image (resized).png
    NeroDen (resized).jpg
    caspersan (resized).jpg
    sunset (resized).jpg
    2d27oc (resized).jpg
    RQPa2zE~2 (resized).jpg
    817898738 (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-06-27 at 10.20.25 PM (resized).png
    Solid_Gold_Crapper (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 467 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 10.
    #401 5 years ago
    Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Told myself I would never pay more than $5K for a pinball machine and I’ve stuck to my word.

In 1995 that was $800 for me, I promised. Then $2000 for the TAF and $2500 for the AFM. We slowly grow to a new level of insanity but from now on I will do better. I promise.

#402 5 years ago
    Quoted from KJL:

In 1995 that was $800 for me, I promised. Then $2000 for the TAF and $2500 for the AFM. We slowly grow to a new level of insanity but from now on I will do better. I promise.

I think they are definitely pricing alot of people out, me included. If prices keep going up i truly think it is going to come back and bite them in the ass. Im glad my collection is almost complete.

#403 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

I think they are definitely pricing alot of people out, me included. If prices keep going up i truly think it is going to come back and bite them in the ass. Im glad my collection is almost complete.

Im keeping busy with System 11 games...Fire, ES, BOP, Blackwater, Diner....many Ive never played....Nice that they all are around 2K an under. Safe Games, Just as much fun to restore and play.

Any NIB, is going to have to wait for Perfection....

#404 5 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Im keeping busy with System 11 games...Fire, ES, BOP, Blackwater, Diner....many Ive never played....Nice that they all are around 2K an under. Safe Games, Just as much fun to restore and play.
    Any NIB, is going to have to wait for Perfection....

I have not paid more than $1k for any of the System 11's I have. I got them all within the last 3 years, but they were all projects to varying degrees. I'm seeing all SYS11's in the $2k+ range now.

I'm about to pull the trigger on an Iron Maiden pro and that is probably my last NIB for a while. I won't say ever, because that's not realistic, but the next one would have to be everything I want in a game (which is why I'm getting an IM) to make me pick NIB. I know new games have to go somewhere to have a used market, but I'm not a typical NIB buyer anyway.

#405 5 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Landlording can be lucrative and is usually safe... but too many unknowns for me. Uncertainty has a cost upon your well-being not measured in dollars.

Precisely. Plus you're on call when the toilet backs up at 3 a.m., and if they decide to leave the faucet running all month or start a meth lab in your basement, you're on your own. Of course you can hire a management company to do the dirty work, but that'll eat into your profit margin. It's an age-old way to make a living (or supplemental income) and I'm not knocking it, but it's certainly more work than buying shares in a mutual funds.

#406 5 years ago

When is this supposed to take effect??

#407 5 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

When is this supposed to take effect??

If I understand correctly, your state has to initiate a law that allows them to collect taxes from entities that don’t have a physical presence in said state. Watch your state government carefully. I suspect many will have this in place by the end of the year. If I’m wrong, let me know...as I’m curious about this too.

#408 5 years ago

I would expect after midterms which means next year to begin, but it may take a while with delays to implement.

#409 5 years ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

The most I have paid for a game is $6500 for Stern Mustang Boss premium.

Quoted from fosaisu:

It would be interesting to know what % of buyers were working with out-of-state distributors to avoid sales tax, vs. shopping local and already paying their taxes.

I live in the Chicago area. I was willing to buy local and pay sales tax if I could pick up the game at Stern and save on shipping, but no! It was $6500 plus tax here in Illinois (and I'd still have to pick it up from someplace like GAP) or $6500 delivered to my house if I ordered out-of-state.

#410 5 years ago
    Quoted from Reality_Studio:

paying off a mortgage is a mistake.

living "debt-free" would just add stress to our lives

stacks-image-2b73051 (resized).jpgstacks-image-2b73051 (resized).jpg
    #411 5 years ago

A mortgage is a bargain because it can make you a pile of money. Interest rates have been so low that you are better off leveraging that. To each their own of course, but personally paying off a mortgage is a financial mistake.

Leverage it on what, exactly? My mtg rate is 2.875% fixed. I owe 55K. You tell me a risk free investment that pays higher as my broker can't.

#412 5 years ago
    Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Leverage it on what, exactly? My mtg rate is 2.875% fixed. I owe 55K. You tell me a risk free investment that pays higher as my broker can't.

That's a great rate. We refinanced within the last few years and are in the low 3's.

#413 5 years ago
    Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Leverage it on what, exactly?

Leverage on making sure you keep on kissing whoever you work for's ass.

Heaven forbid losing whatever job is paying for your sky high mortgage payments.

Since I paid off my house 15 years ago, I've had a few periods of unemployment, mostly because the boss was a real dickhead, and never felt the need to beg to keep said job. Life's been stress free and easy since I decided long ago to owe nobody a thing.

#414 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Heaven forbid losing whatever job is paying for your sky high mortgage payments.
    Since I paid off my house 15 years ago, I've had a few periods of unemployment, mostly because the boss was a real dickhead, and never felt the need to beg to keep said job. Life's been stress free and easy since I decided long ago to owe nobody a thing.

You cannot put a price on that !

#415 5 years ago

You are funny odin. That definitely sounds like something Spicoli would say haha.

#416 5 years ago

It's true though! And I've even watched my aging process slow to a crawl. I don't want to owe anybody anything or be under anybody elses control but my own.

Some of it came from years of hard work, and some of it was good timing, but now I am free to wander around my own back yard in whatever condition I might be till who knows when in the middle of the night without even thinking about if I have to work the next day or not. But I always get there anyway on the few days I do.

#417 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

It's true though! And I've even watched my aging process slow to a crawl. I don't want to owe anybody anything or be under anybody elses control but my own.
    Some of it came from years of hard work, and some of it was good timing, but now I am free to wander around my own back yard in whatever condition I might be till who knows when in the middle of the night without even thinking about if I have to work the next day or not. But I always get there anyway on the few days I do.

Just the sacrifices you have to make to support that $2/day burrito habit.

#418 5 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

The just the sacrifices you have to make to support that $2/day burrito habit.

I'll admit it does get a little boring sometimes. Like yesterday I woke up on one of my days off and the only thing that really needed doing was fixing a door hinge to my laundry room. So I farted around, wasted most of the day, and never got to that door hinge.

But sure beats sitting on the freeway for three hours just so I can spend another ten working for some asshole I don't like in the first place.

I was craving that burrito, but settled on leftover brisket instead. Today though, I'm treating myself to Pedros.

o (resized).jpgo (resized).jpg
    #419 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

1. I am retired and can pay my balance off with money I have in the bank.
    2. My payment is 1500 bucks.
    3. You don't know everything.

#420 5 years ago
    Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

1. I am retired and can pay my balance off with money I have in the bank.
    2. My payment is 1500 bucks.
    3. You don't know everything.

What I do know, Mr. D-Gottlieb, was my statements were in regards to those that mentioned having a mortgage and being in debt was a good thing.

But sure, I have no idea what the price of tea in China is at any given moment, or how they even choose what the next pinball themes will be. Among many other things I don't really care to know about.

#421 5 years ago

I have debated paying off the mortgage, but my accounts do tend to average a return greater than the loan rate I am paying, therefore it is a net gain. My point earlier was to see if there was a popular vehicle that people might be using for a better return.

#422 5 years ago

Yeah my response wasn't meant to be directed at you. It's just that word "leverage" keeps coming up.

I do know if somebody misses enough house payments, they will be "leveraged" homeless.

#423 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I'll admit it does get a little boring sometimes. Like yesterday I woke up on one of my days off and the only thing that really needed doing was fixing a door hinge to my laundry room. So I farted around, wasted most of the day, and never got to that door hinge.
    But sure beats sitting on the freeway for three hours just so I can spend another ten working for some asshole I don't like in the first place.
    I was craving that burrito, but settled on leftover brisket instead. Today though, I'm treating myself to Pedros.

Yummy love Pedro’s after a day at San Onofre..

#424 5 years ago
    Quoted from bellbrand:

Yummy love Pedro’s after a day at San Onofre..

They've got one in Fullerton of all places now, so you don't even need to go surfing to eat there anymore.

Believe it or not that is one of the reason's I'm staying put.

#425 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

They've got one in Fullerton of all places now, so you don't even need to go surfing to eat there anymore.
    Believe it or not that is one of the reason's I'm staying put.

Oh really I’m close to Fullerton thanks for the info

#426 5 years ago
    Quoted from bellbrand:

Oh really I’m close to Fullerton thanks for the info

I knew you were, that's why I mentioned it. Harbor blvd just north of downtown.

There's also one in Boston of all places.

#427 5 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Just the sacrifices you have to make to support that $2/day burrito habit.

Yeah but what o-din doesn't realize is that by the time you count the cost of all the Beano and Gas-x that and Pepto Bismol he has to take and the extra amount of toilet paper that he uses, hes really not saving anything at all. That meal is actually costing him as much as a steak dinner probably.

#428 5 years ago

None of that needed for this finely tuned, cast iron stomach.

Only real extra expense is the Jack Daniels habit, but price is down to $25 for the big bottle at Costco.

#429 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I'm self employed, partially retired at 47 and the the rent money from our rental pays for both our properties so none of your typical snarky comments apply to me. Ugh sometimes I wonder if you guys are being purposely obtuse or really just don't understand the financial boons available to you in this country. Good god guys you can even deduct your mortgage interest in the USA! Well whatever y'all are free to do/believe whatever you want. Pay off your mortgages, store your money under a mattress, seriously why should I care.

#430 5 years ago

Reality Studio is correct, if you're smart you can really do well leveraging. It's basically the same as pinball, you make smart purchases at below average house values where it cash flows, then if house values drop it won't matter because the rent is covering your payment anyways.

I'm not talking about buying Cali homes, I'm talking about areas where properties are $100k and under for the most part for single family homes or have smaller apartment complexes.

As far as 'no risk', what's riskier, letting your money getting devalued by inflation by 1%, or putting it the stock market where it may be volatile but overall will be up over the long term. Or buy a reit that pays 8%. Or buy someone else's mortgage and let them make payments to you. Or get into an accredited investor offering. Or buy a rental house. You don't have to leverage anything if you don't want, buy a rental house for 80k, rent for 1k a month, make $700 a month after taxes/insurance.

There are tons of options. Do whatever you're comfortable with.

#431 5 years ago

I'm self employed, partially retired at 47 and the the rent money from our rental pays for both our properties so none of your typical snarky comments apply to me. Ugh sometimes I wonder if you guys are being purposely obtuse or really just don't understand the financial boons available to you in this country.

Good for you! Nice to be counting on others to pay for your properties and bills and whatever else it takes to make you rich.

But I'd still much rather be me. I may not be wealthy or really care to be, or own more property than I need or can take care of by myself, but I'm living my dream. I don't get offended that easy and I certainly try not to walk around or talk around like I've got some stick up my ass.

But most important is I have plenty of free time to enjoy each beautiful day to the fullest as I see fit without the need to manage a bunch of other crap or have to deal with people that I don't really want to.

#432 5 years ago

Fuck taxes , were taxed up the ass , gas , food this that, tax interest, inheritance tax bla bla bla
    And the government just pisses it away.

#433 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Good for you! Nice to be counting on others to pay for your properties and bills and whatever else it takes to make you rich.
    But I'd still much rather be me. I may not be wealthy or really care to be, or own more property than I need or can take care of by myself, but I'm living my dream. I don't get offended that easy and I certainly try not to walk around or talk around like I've got some stick up my ass.

Dude, I don't think you understand. It's not about getting rich. It's about financial independence. 100k can buy you leverage to 5 100k houses. Over 10 years you rent them and use the profits to pay them off. At the end of 10 years, you've probably got $600k to 700k in houses probably bringing in $1200 a month each in rent. So $6k a month, $72k a year. All for your original $100k. So then you don't have to work if you don't want (at least in some lower cost areas).

You have to have cash flow to be financial independent. Leverage can provide the means to do that IF you buy them right and not overpay. There are guys out there buying strictly on appreciation and that's how people got into trouble in 2008 and will probably happen again this next recession. But if you buy for cash flow, your downside is minimal as long as you have some backup funds and a job.

Btw, this isn't just for rental houses. Commercial property, storage, car washes, etc. can all provide pretty good ROI. It's about expanding your horizons.

#434 5 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

Dude, I don't think you understand. It's not about getting rich. It's about financial independence.

No, you don't understand. I have found a way to be financially independent without the big investments or tax liabilities that come with them, or even having to think about the next economic crash, which experience tells me can happen at any time. I keep things as simple as possible, so I don't worry about anything. But I don't really need to over explain why. It's just the way I want it. I may not thrive, but I know I'll survive.

I owned a rental property two blocks from the ocean years ago that I got for a song in the late 80s , but I got tired of dealing with the tenants and everything else involved and wanted to go on a surfing safari, so sold it and did that with the profit over 20 years ago. Would it be nice to still own a three bedroom condo by the San Clemente pier and use it on weekends, rent it or take the windfall now? Sure. But in the end I don't need it or want it. I'm happy right here on cloud nothing.

#435 5 years ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

Not sure what your paying but I'm at $498 a month for property tax, unreal.

pssshhh, I'm at $1200 a month for just HOA.

#436 5 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

Dude, I don't think you understand. It's not about getting rich. It's about financial independence. 100k can buy you leverage to 5 100k houses. Over 10 years you rent them and use the profits to pay them off. At the end of 10 years, you've probably got $600k to 700k in houses probably bringing in $1200 a month each in rent. So $6k a month, $72k a year. All for your original $100k. So then you don't have to work if you don't want (at least in some lower cost areas).
    You have to have cash flow to be financial independent. Leverage can provide the means to do that IF you buy them right and not overpay. There are guys out there buying strictly on appreciation and that's how people got into trouble in 2008 and will probably happen again this next recession. But if you buy for cash flow, your downside is minimal as long as you have some backup funds and a job.
    Btw, this isn't just for rental houses. Commercial property, storage, car washes, etc. can all provide pretty good ROI. It's about expanding your horizons.

I have a rental property and i f*cking hate it lol. It is a good way to make extra money and i know several people who are millionaires because of rental property but honestly its just not for me. I cant stand dealing with the dumbasses making excuses as to why they cant pay the rent and being on call 24/7. I dont get that many calls on it but just knowing i could be called at anytime sucks. After my last Tennant (ex stepdaughter) just left the place a fricken mess and cost me shitloads of money i am taking a different approach this time around. Im going to be the biggest asshole of a landlord that anyone has ever seen and they will know it up front before they move in. Im not getting ran over anymore.

#437 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

I cant stand dealing with the dumbasses making excuses as to why they cant pay the rent and being on call 24/7.

Life's too short to deal with assholes if you really don't have to to survive. And the world's full of them. More and more every day. Cutting ties with any and all of them is worth way more than any financial gain IMO.

#438 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I'm happy right here on cloud nothing.

That's fine, like I said to each their own. But you love to mock others opinions with backhanded posts and snarky comments (not your first time) so don't be surprised when you are called out on it.

Quoted from Who-Dey:

Im not getting ran over anymore.

Just get a property manager if you don't want to deal with any of that.

#439 5 years ago

Just get a property manager if you don't want to deal with any of that.

No way am i going to pay someone to do that. Like i said, im just going to be a total dick of a landlord from here out if i have to be. I will not be ran over ever again and I am going to make that clear before my next Tennant moves in. Im also going to be very picky who i rent to. Its probably going to take me a good while to find the right person and not many people are going to qualify i can tell you that right now.

#440 5 years ago

Cash in hand, zero dept. "except for taxs" and worry free is the way for me. Ya dont have to be rich to enjoy life. Put aside all the crap you dont need and the stress's that go along with it.

Do I work yes , and so does my wife. Both at jobs we enjoy for the most part. What we also do is enjoy life , being with friends and family, and travel. Keeps the mind clean and clear of all the BS, stress and drama around us.

#441 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I knew you were, that's why I mentioned it. Harbor blvd just north of downtown.
    There's also one in Boston of all places.

Hmmmmm. Really.

#442 5 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

Why do I get an image in my head that you are going to be linking us to a video of you sitting in a rented business jet telling us to "just buy my books and you can learn to be rich. " ?

You are starting to remind me of Dave Deldado from the 90s.

#443 5 years ago

You guys are way off topic again.

#444 5 years ago

That's fine, like I said to each their own. But you love to mock others opinions with backhanded posts and snarky comments (not your first time) so don't be surprised when you are called out on it.

Sure, and on the other hand if you pretend to be a financial adviser on a pinball forum where many don't care about your success story or how you got there, or think your advice is ridiculous and have their own way of living and doing things that suits them better, then be prepared for said comments.

#445 5 years ago

I’m no expert...and taxes confuse the crap out of me. Does anyone have a good answer to my situation? I put a downpayment on ACNC. It’s gonna be until winter 2019 until it’s slated to get done (I know, a long time to wait, but I don’t mind and it gives me time to save the $). Once the final bill comes (assuming Iowa, where I live, enables a bill allowing to collect taxes from out of state entities), am I taxed on the original price, the out standing balance, or not taxed...as this was sold/had a downpayment before the law was enacted?

#446 5 years ago
    Quoted from dnapac:

am I taxed on the original price, the out standing balance, or not taxed...as this was sold/had a downpayment before the law was enacted?

The law has always been there in many places, the new version of the law means it will now be easier for them to collect said taxes.

I believe Iowa has a state tax of just about 7%, so that is what you will owe on your entire purchase price if they already had a use tax law in place before you made your purchase. You might want to check with your local tax office for more details.

#447 5 years ago

I’ve over thought this. I’m going to pick it up from Spooky personally, so I just pay Wisconsin’s/Benton’s normal sales tax on the purchase.

#448 5 years ago

Yep, Boston. Apparently it is so popular there, they had to close up shop and are moving to a larger location. And I thought the drive thru at one of the San Clemente locations had long lines....

o (resized).jpgo (resized).jpg
    #449 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Why do I get an image in my head that you are going to be linking us to a video of you sitting in a rented business jet telling us to "just buy my books and you can learn to be rich. " ?
    You are starting to remind me of Dave Deldado from the 90s.

I apologize if I offended you which it appears like I did. Do whatever you want. First time I've ever been called an infomercial, lol, I grew up on a farm in a town of 300 and spent my summers detasseling and weeding soybeans, the farthest thing from city life imaginable. I know what it's like to not have any money, we lived in a rental house till I was 13.

#450 5 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

I apologize if I offended you which it appears like I did. Do whatever you want. First time I've ever been called an infomercial, lol, I grew up on a farm in a town of 300 and spent my summers detasseling and weeding soybeans, the farthest thing from city life imaginable. I know what it's like to not have any money, we lived in a rental house till I was 13.

I appreciated your wisdom and agree!

There are 467 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/supreme-court-passes-online-sales-tax-/page/9 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.