(Topic ID: 219716)

PRICE INCREASE - Supreme Court Passes online sales tax

By ovfdfireman

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

o (resized).jpg
    o (resized).jpg
    stacks-image-2b73051 (resized).jpg
    LOST2018 (resized).png
    2d2j78 (resized).jpg
    OhGod12.jpeg (resized).jpg
    IMG_1530 (resized).PNG
    pasted_image (resized).png
    NeroDen (resized).jpg
    caspersan (resized).jpg
    sunset (resized).jpg
    2d27oc (resized).jpg
    RQPa2zE~2 (resized).jpg
    817898738 (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-06-27 at 10.20.25 PM (resized).png
    Solid_Gold_Crapper (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 467 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 10.
    #251 5 years ago
    Quoted from charles4400:

Let me guess, you live near or in Garden Grove/ Westminister? But I don't get it what are you saying that there is a large Asian population in those areas. Yes there is, but is that how all or even most of Socal is or looks like...absolutely not!
    Go a little further south to Fountain Valley, Lake Forest, Laguna Niguel and Mission Viejo and is that what you see all around?
    Or let's look West and North of LA in Santa Monica, Woodland Hills, Thousand Oaks, Oxnard into Santa Barbara... still see the same thing?
    That might be 100% of what you see in front of you but that doesn't mean that is what it looks like everywhere, especially all of SoCal.
    Definitely diverse no doubt about that. Around all large metropolitan areas in any major city (Especially cities with a population of > 2 million), there are ALWAYS surrounding areas and cities which will have a more specific concentrated ethnic demographic.
    In other words most major cities will have areas with shopping center signs you can't read. But that doesn't mean those signs are everywhere you turn and anywhere you go.
    I've lived most of my life in LA working in real estate and have a pretty decent idea of demographics in many many areas all around LA and Orange County.
    So it's bs to put a pic of a shopping center sign from an ethnic specific area and say "hey look at whats happening in all of SoCal can you believe it!?".
    WAY too much of that going on in general and I won't even get into all the examples we see of this in our current political..errr.. state affairs..
    I mean you could take a pic of any of these districts in LA and say "WTF? Why can't they assimilate"...... pfffttt.

Thanks for posting this. I've lived in various countries, states, cities, etc and Los Angeles is by *far* the most misunderstood and misrepresented city. I have no idea how people generalize a city like LA when it has so much variety in people, places, scenery, food, cultures, language, etc, there's nothing like it. Absolutely incredible place to live, we love it here.

#252 5 years ago
    aintthisthelife (resized).jpgaintthisthelife (resized).jpg
    #254 5 years ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

Not sure what your paying but I'm at $498 a month for property tax, unreal.

You don't own, you rent from your local taxing authority.

#255 5 years ago
    Quoted from nwpinball:

I think you are a little confused on what the word literally means. Or you are posting from the grave.

Also could be saying "we are taxed to our death". Meaning we are taxed right up to when we die, and slightly after if you consider a death tax.

#256 5 years ago

To be fair, the US has nearly the lowest taxes in the developed world. The most medical bankruptcies, but the taxes are truly low.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #257 5 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

To be fair, the US has nearly the lowest taxes in the developed world. The most medical bankruptcies, but the taxes are truly low.

Overlay that with the outstanding debt/budget deficit for each country. That may tell an interesting story.

#258 5 years ago
    Quoted from HighProtein:

taxation is theft

Thieves usually don't give you a bunch of stuff in return.

#259 5 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

That’s just federal government revenue, it’s not the full tax base as it doesn’t include local sales tax, state income tax, property tax and whatever other taxes we are subject too. Keep in mind that those higher taxed countries provide free healthcare and education.

#260 5 years ago

I’m starting to get the idea some of you guys don’t like taxes!

#261 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

If you like them so much, I'll be more than happy to give you mine.

#262 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I actually don't mind them much. I pay a lot in prop taxes but my rate is actually kind of low I think so whatcha gonna do.

#263 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I actually don't mind them much. I pay a lot in prop taxes but my rate is actually kind of low I think so whatcha gonna do.

Does it bother you that a very high percentage of your tax dollars are being totally wasted and that if that wasn't the case that you could have alot more money back in your pocket to spend on other things? Thats a legitimate question by the way and im not trying to be sarcastic at all.

#264 5 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

Does that take into account state, local, sales, and property taxes or is that only federal taxes?

#265 5 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

That’s just federal government revenue, it’s not the full tax base as it doesn’t include local sales tax, state income tax, property tax and whatever other taxes we are subject too. Keep in mind that those higher taxed countries provide free healthcare and education.

its not free, its why they get hosed on taxes as badly as they do.

#266 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Does it bother you that a very high percentage of your tax dollars are being totally wasted and that if that wasn't the case that you could have alot more money back in your pocket to spend on other things? Thats a legitimate question by the way and im not trying to be sarcastic at all.

Probably a terrible decision to wade into this mess, but can you please expand upon "a very high percentage of your tax dollars are being totally wasted"? That's a very subjective statement to say the least.

#267 5 years ago

I like what Ballmer is doing with usafacts.org - transparency is good. Maybe states could do the same with their tax income/expenditures? Just make it a little more obvious.

#268 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Does it bother you that a very high percentage of your tax dollars are being totally wasted and that if that wasn't the case that you could have alot more money back in your pocket to spend on other things?

A far question; my view would be they would never actually give me more monies back no matter what so it's a moot point.

#269 5 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

It also doesn't include deficit spending or any number of other factors. There is a reason the US has 19 aircraft carrier groups (not just carriers, but full naval armadas with support ships and all)...we pay a lot in taxes to the government. Just look at 2018 estimated gross revenue of the US (fed, state, and local)...it's $6.21 trillion...

Compare that annual number to another country...any other country...

#270 5 years ago

My state is probably the most corrupt state in the country so any increased taxes are likely just lining the pockets of the scumbags in office.

#271 5 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

It's all levels of government, although I haven't dug into the exact methodology to be fair. "In 2015, US taxes at all levels of government represented 26 percent of GDP, compared with an average of 34 percent of GDP for the 34 member countries of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD)."

If you look at the link, you can also see percentage of taxes based on income, property, etc.
    https://www.taxpolicycenter.org/briefing-book/how-do-us-taxes-compare-internationally

#272 5 years ago

Buy games lightly used, locally through private collector sales, not dealers. It continues to work, especially today with large volumes of games going into homes than ever before. Build a network.

Avoid the noid of NIB sales, it is never worth it except for operator reasons regarding volume purchases.

Speculators will continue to roll the dice, and burn out like shooting stars when the market turns.

#273 5 years ago
    Quoted from porkcarrot:

Probably a terrible decision to wade into this mess, but can you please expand upon "a very high percentage of your tax dollars are being totally wasted"? That's a very subjective statement to say the least.

If you don't know then i suggest that you do some research for yourself. Im not here to educate anyone. I think most people already know that government spending has been out of control though and that alot of our tax dollars are not being used for what they were intended to be used for. So much government waste that its ridiculous, and thats the federal, state, and local governments all combined.

#274 5 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Thieves usually don't give you a bunch of stuff in return.

If someone stole 3 of your cars but gave you 1 of them back, isn't it still theft?

#275 5 years ago

I'd say putting up road signs that say things like "Little Baghdad Next Exit", in towns that already have perfectly good names, is a waste of taxpayers money.

#276 5 years ago

I gotta ask, since this hasn't been about pinball for about a week, maybe it's finally time to take this thread out back and shoot it?

#277 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I gotta ask, since this hasn't been about pinball for about a week, maybe it's finally time to take this thread out back and shoot it?

I don't think it ever was about pinball. lol.

#278 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

I think most people already know that government spending has been out of control though and that alot of our tax dollars are not being used for what they were intended to be used for. So much government waste that its ridiculous, and thats the federal, state, and local governments all combined.

Virtually everyone thinks some version of this, for sure. But people disagree widely on what particular spending is "wasteful" -- all can agree that fraudulent medicare payouts fit the bill, funding for climate research, the arts, and war in Iraq is more controversial. And most people have zero concept of how the amount of what they view as "wasteful" spending compares to spending on things they view as legitimate, and how those numbers relates to deficit spending and the United States' long-term economic prospects.

I'm not blaming anyone, this stuff is way too big and complicated for most of us to follow closely (myself included). Our brains evolved to cope with tribal groups of about 150 members max, and we're massively overclocking them in this modern era. An inability to separate fundamental problems from relatively minor ones is probably inevitable.

#279 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I don't think it ever was about pinball. lol.

The first 2 or 3 posts were!

But for now I think I'd like to tell you all about exactly why I don't like taxes and how much the government sucks! And why it's all the fault of the people I didn't vote for.

#280 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The first 2 or 3 posts were!

I think they were under the impression this would be a new tax that didn't exist before.

Personally taxes I pay don't bother me as I don't make much to begin with, so they don't take much and they are better than the other inevitable thing in life.... death .

#282 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

If you don't know then i suggest that you do some research for yourself. Im not here to educate anyone. I think most people already know that government spending has been out of control though and that alot of our tax dollars are not being used for what they were intended to be used for. So much government waste that its ridiculous, and thats the federal, state, and local governments all combined.

But that's the problem. What you may think is wasteful or ridiculous may seem reasonable to someone else. And what you may think is a very high percentage may not be to other people. Some people think basically any government spending is too much, which is why I have a problem with vague, broad statements.

#283 5 years ago

Amazon started charging taxes in Canada about 5 or 6 months ago

#284 5 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

If someone stole 3 of your cars but gave you 1 of them back, isn't it still theft?

In Cali the car you get back doesn’t even have wheels Rob

#285 5 years ago

Here is the real picture

446FD09F-7F31-4D2C-9FA9-FCD318ABB79A (resized).png446FD09F-7F31-4D2C-9FA9-FCD318ABB79A (resized).png
    #286 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Here is the real picture

Is that figure comparing the countries directly on tax rates? Or is it showing, for each country, how their tax burdens are sifted out among income tax, social security tax, property tax, etc? It looks to me like the bars for each country add up to 100%, in which case this tells me that Australia doesn't have a social security tax, but it doesn't tell me if the overall tax burden is higher in Australia or the US.

#287 5 years ago

We have a choice on what goods and services we purchase for the most part, a consumption tax. Thus, it’s why we feel “taxed to death” on mandatory taxes. And clearly by comparison we are

As for corporate income tax, previously at the highest in the world. No longer

Same for personal income taxes

Now this new tax will increase the orange bar

As a % of GDP is not a great measure. I only care about my personal GDP and how much Uncle Sam gets to take and waste

#288 5 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Is that figure comparing the countries directly on tax rates? Or is it showing, for each country, how their tax burdens are sifted out among income tax, social security tax, property tax, etc? It looks to me like the bars for each country add up to 100%, in which case this tells me that Australia doesn't have a social security tax, but it doesn't tell me if the overall tax burden is higher in Australia or the US.

It’s part of that same report from westoforme

#289 5 years ago

Well GDP is a good camparison if your pay comes from our taxes. Where is the GDP comparison guy from again?

#290 5 years ago

And of course if it isn’t crystal clear yet that blue bar referencing Social security is going to get MUCH longer one way or another in the future

Unless our GDP averages 4% for next decade

#291 5 years ago

I pay the Homer tax. Let the bears pay the Bear Tax!

#292 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

And of course if it isn’t crystal clear yet that blue bar referencing Social security is going to get MUCH longer one way or another in the future
    Unless our GDP averages 4% for next decade

Think I did an annual return on SS once. Came in at under 2%

I really don’t get the shortage on SS. If one dies with no spouse govt keeps all their money paid in. Part of folks SS payment is paid back to govt in taxes yet there is still a big shortfall?

I know part of SS is disability but the cap on that payout is pretty low.

#293 5 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Depends on the value of the cars taken and the one given back. The valuation of the services you receive in exchange for taxes is a valid discussion to have, but I think I probably am already on your side there.

I believe there is a lot of wasteful spending and lining of pockets that I wish would be stomped out.

#294 5 years ago

All I know is when they spend $20,000 on a toilet seat and it isn't even officially licensed Supreme gear,

now that's wasteful spending!

#295 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

All I know is when they spend $20,000 on a toilet seat and it isn't even officially licensed Supreme gear,

Best post of the day right there!!

#296 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Chump change, my dear boy. Are you familiar with this sweet baby? Solid 18k gold, estimated value $2 million (though Whysnow thinks it won't fetch $1.5).

Solid_Gold_Crapper (resized).jpgSolid_Gold_Crapper (resized).jpg
    #297 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Think I did an annual return on SS once. Came in at under 2%
    I really don’t get the shortage on SS. If one dies with no spouse govt keeps all their money paid in. Part of folks SS payment is paid back to govt in taxes yet there is still a big shortfall?
    I know part of SS is disability but the cap on that payout is pretty low.

Its because the government has borrowed from it and cant pay it back. That money originally was supposed to have never been used for anything other than social security benefits, now here we are in real danger of ss going belly up!

#298 5 years ago

It is going to go belly up. In a few years.

#299 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Its because the government has borrowed from it and cant pay it back. That money originally was supposed to have never been used for anything other than social security benefits, now here we are in real danger of ss going belly up!

Been hearing that bullshit for THIRTY YEARS.

Just scare tactics to hand over Social Security to Wall Street on a privatization scheme. The way it's going, the American public will soon be dumb enough to finally fall for the scam, and then we can all eat dog food when we get old.

Also, pinball.

#300 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Been hearing that bullshit for THIRTY YEARS.
    Just scare tactics to hand over Social Security to Wall Street on a privatization scheme. The way it's going, the American public will soon be dumb enough to finally fall for the scam, and then we can all eat dog food when we get old.
    Also, pinball.

Yeah you just keep living under a rock and thinking that. Everything is just great isnt it? The only good thing is that it may not affect you Levi but who gives a shit about future generations right?

There are 467 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/supreme-court-passes-online-sales-tax-/page/6?hl=rustylizard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.