(Topic ID: 219716)

PRICE INCREASE - Supreme Court Passes online sales tax

By ovfdfireman

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

o (resized).jpg
    o (resized).jpg
    stacks-image-2b73051 (resized).jpg
    LOST2018 (resized).png
    2d2j78 (resized).jpg
    OhGod12.jpeg (resized).jpg
    IMG_1530 (resized).PNG
    pasted_image (resized).png
    NeroDen (resized).jpg
    caspersan (resized).jpg
    sunset (resized).jpg
    2d27oc (resized).jpg
    RQPa2zE~2 (resized).jpg
    817898738 (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-06-27 at 10.20.25 PM (resized).png
    Solid_Gold_Crapper (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 467 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 10.
    #151 5 years ago

Well here in NY this will add about $600 onto the purchase price of a new pinball machine. So much for making America Great Again. God I love a BIGLY new tax right up the A$$! SOON WHEN THE ECONOMY TANKS AND THE STOCK MARKET CRASHES WHILE WE ENGAGE IN A TRADE WAR WITH CHINA We will all be witness to the price collapse of the pinball market amid rising inflation as Americans and small businesses struggle to make ends meet! Oh well it's coming soon!

#152 5 years ago

When I was working, I paid more in taxes and insurance, than I paid myself, or needed for my family.
    Now that I am retired from the 60-110 hour week, I am now a "taker" from the standpoint of rhetoric
    because Im disabled.
    I didnt ask for it, I feel both grateful, and embarrassed, but its keeping me alive.
    Its a hard position to see both sides, but I do make a pain in the ass about it when chatting in person.

Not Tastes Great or Less Filling, but both.

Become a Business that buys and sells Pinball Machines, and get a resale certificate.
    Keep records, run it like the President, and be "smart" with taxes.
    Write off your Pin Trips, and hobby, but have sales, profit, and expenses.

#153 5 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I didnt ask for it, I feel both grateful, and embarrassed, but its keeping me alive.

Theres nothing to be embarrassed about Oldpinguy. You worked hard and paid your own way through life when you were able bodied and now you unfortunately have health problems. There is no shame in that at all so keep your chin up. You have earned everything that you have got.

#154 5 years ago
    Quoted from Chicoman:

Well here in NY this will add about $600 onto the purchase price of a new pinball machine. So much for making America Great Again. God I love a BIGLY new tax right up the A$$! SOON WHEN THE ECONOMY TANKS AND THE STOCK MARKET CRASHES WHILE WE ENGAGE IN A TRADE WAR WITH CHINA We will all be witness to the price collapse of the pinball market amid rising inflation as Americans and small businesses struggle to make ends meet! Oh well it's coming soon!

#155 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Theres nothing to be embarrassed about Oldpinguy. You worked hard and paid your own way through life when you were able bodied and now you unfortunately have health problems. There is no shame in that at all so keep your chin up. You have earned everything that you have got.

Thank you....I have had more than my share of "taker" insults....its a fine line out there, as even the government wouldnt help under
    disability, but did so under AHC.

#156 5 years ago

I love how everybody is a “taker” and “bottom feeder” until you actually hear their stories and stop looking at them like scapegoats.

It’s possible here might be more people
    Like oldpinguy out there.

#157 5 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Thank you....I have had more than my share of "taker" insults....its a fine line out there, as even the government wouldnt help under
    disability, but did so under AHC.

You paid into a benefit that you are now receiving. Its a benefit that none of us ever hope to collect, but we pay into it just in case that day ever comes. Some people are unfortunately born into it also and thats ok too. The only problem i have with it is the people that collect it (and there are many) that are perfectly healthy and scamming the system. That is not you Art.

#158 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I love how everybody is a “taker” and “bottom feeder” until you actually hear their stories and stop looking at them like scapegoats.

Nobody ever said that everyone is a taker or a bottom feeder but if you don't think that there are alot of people collecting benefits that shouldn't be then you are living under a rock because i personally know plenty of them that are probably in better health than i am that just are too lazy to go get a job.

I told a guy that i know that i guarantee him that i could get him a job where i work and he could make 100k a year if he wanted to work the overtime. I even offered to give him a place to live and buy him a car until he got on his feet. He didn't even want to talk about it and changed the subject in under 30 seconds. He always complains and says he's poor..i said here is your chance, this will change your life.

He is 36 and nothing wrong with him other than he is lazy and has been ruined by the system. The benefits that he recieves are far too good for him to even consider getting a job.

#159 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Nobody ever said that everyone is a taker or a bottom feeder but if you don't think that there are alot of people collecting benefits that shouldn't be then you are living under a rock because i personally know plenty of them that are probably in better health than i am that just are too lazy to go get a job.
    I told a guy that i know that i guarantee him that i could get him a job where i work and he could make 100k a year if he wanted to work the overtime. I even offered to give him a place to live and buy him a car until he got on his feet. He didn't even want to talk about it and changed the subject in under 30 seconds. He always complains and says he's poor..i said here is your chance, this will change your life.
    He is 36 and nothing wrong with him other than he is lazy and has been ruined by the system. The benefits that he recieves are far too good for him to even consider getting a job.

I had a sense that this was really where you were coming from. While I'm no fan of anyone who "games the system", I'm way more offended at the super rich profiting while poisoning our air, water, and soil, and banking their corporate welfare without providing additional jobs, etc. Why do so many people always bark downhill instead of uphill? Is it because they personally know the lazy 36 year old, but have no idea who the venture capitalist is who outsourced their job?

#160 5 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

I had a sense that this was really where you were coming from. While I'm no fan of anyone who "games the system", I'm way more offended at the super rich profiting while poisoning our air, water, and soil, and banking their corporate welfare without providing additional jobs, etc. Why do so many people always bark downhill instead of uphill? Is it because they personally know the lazy 36 year old, but have no idea who the venture capitalist is who outsourced their job?

Im offended by both of those things as well so join the crowd. Lazy people and polluting our air and water that is, not capitolism though.

#161 5 years ago

There is nothing to be ashamed about using part of a program you paid into over many years of work. That’s what it is there for. OIG has said that Medicare fraud is roughly 10-11%, and some independent studies say even higher. There is plenty of people rightfully enrolled and able to use our myriad of social programs, and that is a great thing. When guys like myself who pay 49% rate to take money out of the company I built and put 60 hours a week in, I should understandably be upset at 1/10 people enrolled in Medicare committing fraud (nevermind the rates for other programs). It’s obviously symptomatic of other problems in our bureaucracy, with just too much spending in general, but that’s a whole other conversation. Just because I wish social programs were more strict about who qualifies for them and why, I think it’s the right thing to help the people who genuinely deserve it. Painting everything with a broad brush is seemingly one of our countries biggest problems right now. I think if people actually listened to each other instead of pointing fingers, on both the left and the right, people would be amazed at how much they probably actually agree on. I think things like social media and people creating ideological echo chambers so as to not be offended by someone else’s opinion is a serious problem. Again, it’s on the right and left, but 2 decades ago on an overlapping graph the majority of the country agreed on the best path forward. In the last few years, that same study showed the graph has continually slid further and further apart, and unless people start having an open dialogue and risk be offended, the exchange of ideas which make us an incredible country will cease to exist.

#162 5 years ago

Found graph I was referring to:

AA45A177-BB05-4148-A8DF-739F211716D1 (resized).pngAA45A177-BB05-4148-A8DF-739F211716D1 (resized).png
    #163 5 years ago

It’s not so much the sales tax for me although it will certainly affect NIB sales

It’s the continual price increases by Stern and JJP at a time that they just received a massive income tax cut

Combine the sales tax with rising prices with every release? Will be interesting to see where this story ends

People will probably just keep justifying these expenditures in the grand scheme of things?

#164 5 years ago
    Quoted from Procrastinator:

Found graph I was referring to:

Ugh. That's not good.

#165 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jvspin:

Off Topic but I'll show you crazy. Property taxes would be about $1200/mo. This is just a regular suburban neighborhood, nothing fancy.

Hence the Exodus out of California. Sucks what the politicians have done to the once Beautiful Golden State.

#166 5 years ago
    Quoted from Cybergoonie:

Hence the Exodus out of California. Sucks what the politicians have done to the once Beautiful Golden State.

A huge exodus from Ca., especially those that came here from somewhere else to make it their own and turned it into the rat race it has become, isn't exactly a bad thing.

There is never going to be enough water anyway so all new construction needs to stop, pronto.

#167 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

A huge exodus from Ca., especially those that came here from somewhere else to make it their own and turned it into the rat race it has become, isn't exactly a bad thing.
    There is never going to be enough water anyway so all new construction needs to stop, pronto.

I think almost every state can say that. We are becoming way overpopulated everywhere i think.

#168 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I don't know if it is the "new" Californians that are leaving.

I look at it as people who are willing to sacrifice what California has to offer versus more bang for your buck someplace else. Many people that have been here for a long time can cash out with the high market prices. People are literally selling houses in the bay area for millions of dollars and are basically cashing out on a realtor lottery ticket compared to what they bought the house for 20-25 years ago. They can buy a mansion someplace else in the U.S. as 800 foot fixer upper houses in Sunnyvale sell for 2 million.

On the flip side, as you mentioned, they are being replaced by somebody who has stupid money to buy a fixer upper for millions of dollars. There are people wealthy enough to pay the price. As millionaires are still coming.

California real estate kind of reminds me of the pinball market.

#169 5 years ago

Just stop crying about taxes...
    In belgium I pay 55% tax on my monthly wage, gasprice is; 1.4€/liter,
    "house buy" tax on total buy price, was 5 and 10%, now 7% for all. And if you build a new one, it's 21% basic tax + 7%...
    alcohol is since last year 30% extra taxed,
    driving tax; 800€/year,
    house tax; 750€/year,
    green power tax for my solar panels; 500€/year.
    Sure we got "free" basic health care, but we need also to have extra insurance for hospital fees.
    Also we pay roughly 35% on all non European stuff we fly in.

#170 5 years ago

Ebay has a petition against the tax.

Let Trump and Congress know what you think:

https://www.ebaymainstreet.com/petition/internet-sales-tax-buyers

#171 5 years ago
    Quoted from jimjim66:

I look at it as people who are willing to sacrifice what California has to offer versus more bang for your buck someplace else. Many people that have been here for a long time can cash out with the high market prices. People are literally selling houses in the bay area for millions of dollars and are basically cashing out on a realtor lottery ticket compared to what they bought the house for 20-25 years ago. They can buy a mansion someplace else in the U.S. as 800 foot fixer upper houses in Sunnyvale sell for 2 million.
    On the flip side, as you mentioned, they are being replaced by somebody who has stupid money to buy a fixer upper for millions of dollars. There are people wealthy enough to pay the price. As millionaires are still coming.

I think they are coming to Portland to buy NIB pinball machines without sales tax ...but seriously, there are 100 people a day moving to Portland or surrounding areas. In southwest Washington there are new houses going in everywhere for Portland commuters, they used to cost in the high $200k, now new houses are selling in the low $400k. Real estate is crazy hot. 4 years ago I couldn't sell my house, an agent offered to "take it off my hands" for the $150k I owed on it. Two years later I sold it for $260k. It's now appraised at $360k. I'm not sorry I sold it considering what the property tax is costing now.

I don't envy folks in Tacoma/Seattle where sales tax is at 10%.

#172 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It’s possible here might be more people
    Like oldpinguy out there.

No one ever said anything like that, but you're naive to believe that their aren't. I used to bowl with a guy that was collecting full disability for a back injury, yet two times a week he was throwing a 14lb ball down a lane.

I'm all for using my tax dollars to help people that are legitimately disabled or otherwise need assistance. What I'm not a fan of is the egregious waste and fraud associated with the public assistance programs.

There are way to many people on the wagon and not enough people pushing it. It's an unsustainable system.

#173 5 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I'm all for using my tax dollars to help people that are legitimately disabled or otherwise need assistance. What I'm not a fan of is the egregious waste and fraud associated with the public assistance programs.

There are way to many people on the wagon and not enough people pushing it. It's an unsustainable system.

It is worrisome how polarized our nation has become, particularly with the eastward shift of the global economy toward Asia. It was easier for everyone to feel like part of the system and give a little back when it was “Miller Time” for most working folks. However, endowments, grants, and charitable giving is drying up even in the face of new stock market highs... which further indicates the Dow Jones is not “the whole economy”.

It is possible that if America can no longer afford to buy reasonable middle class stability and the promise of a better life than our parents, then it may fracture into two Americas -> the upper 20% behind firewalls of high insurance and privileged access and everyone else treading water. Which is already becoming apparent.

We still have some fat to trim before the s**t really hits the fan (wasteful programs, bureaucracies, excessive surveillance, the “Space Force”). I’m still betting the next “new normal” will be urban gardens and multigenerational households. Keep your eyes on those canaries in the coal mine.

Overall, America will still be OK. But we haven’t really returned to the everyday exuberance before the Great Recession even after taking on loads of debt. Better work on repaying that while we still can before it turns into a long, slow slog for our grandchildren to churn through. And you better believe they aren’t going to be so keen on paying for our entitlements under the load we’ve given them... let alone “come together”.

#176 5 years ago

Just a friendly reminder gang: try and generally stay off politics. I know that is hard when discussing a tax, and this tax is directly pertinent to many people in this hobby. Let’s keep this topic going so people can stay informed on implementation of the court ruling and what not.

#177 5 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Just a friendly reminder gang: try and generally stay off politics.

Yeah, we're talking overpriced real estate here.

#178 5 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

“Space Force”

Oh hell, I thought he was saying Space Farce

Silly me

Thanks for clearing that up fro me Nick!

#179 5 years ago

Let's hope the EU didn't put a Tariff on Pinball machines as well.

Tax breaks don't mean much if they turn around and tax the hell out of you elsewhere.

Let's cut Taxes, but screw up trade. Even with the Tax cuts who is going to feel the pinch.
    The middle class. WTF is up.

#180 5 years ago
    Quoted from jimjim66:

We see it all over Texas Jim, "I can't believe how much house I can buy here with the proceeds from my sale in Cali".

Austin especially as a high tech center.

#181 5 years ago

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4183717-trade-war-likely-sink-economy-crash-stock-market-one-yet

Inform yourself as to the facts and details, not just broad brush "news headlines"

Take advantage of it

#182 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

We see it all over Texas Jim, "I can't believe how much house I can buy here with the proceeds from my sale in Cali".

Austin especially as a high tech center.

Awesome article on how this is reflected on U-Haul rentals:

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/news/2018/03/08/economist-says-sky-high-u-haul-rates-reflect-mass.html

#183 5 years ago

That's crazy!

Well you know two of my kids and folks were in the Bay Area for the Warriors game.

They did some tour bus to see the area and were shocked by the "homeless camps and mini cities". Wtf is going on there? Seems like its two classes of people, the wealthy and the homeless.

Due to lack of housing and cost of living it seems the middle class is fleeing some areas of Cali out of necessity?

Looks like you are in the beautiful wine region!

#184 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Due to lack of housing and cost of living it seems the middle class is fleeing some areas of Cali out of necessity?

No. It's because I'm scaring them all out of here. Newcomers and oldcomers alike.

#185 5 years ago

Yeah, right.

#186 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Wtf is going on there? Seems like its two classes of people, the wealthy and the homeless.

Wealth Disparity, by the numbers on any "side", still show the same....imo.

With Sales Tax, look who this affects the most, as a percentage of income.

Agree with you Ice, concerned about the meetings to go off the US Petrol Dollar, as a Reply in a Trade War response.

#187 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

two classes of people, the wealthy and the homeless.

Make that three! We got the wealthy, the homeless, and the I don't give a shits.

#188 5 years ago
    Quoted from Cybergoonie:

Politicians didnt do shit.
    The sheep populace voted in that garbage.
    Reap, sow, linear.

#189 5 years ago
    Quoted from PiperPinball:

In California we are hammered with crazy taxes. The highest state income tax (other than NY), fuel tax, property tax, energy tax, tax on everything. So many taxes I don't think everyone realizes how taxed we really are. The moment we wake up everyday we are taxed for everything we do and most don't realize it.

That's why your 1.5 million dollar house goes for $50,000 here.

#190 5 years ago

Apologies for what is probably a silly question, but is there a sales tax applied when buying a floor model machine? Does being a floor model make the items simply used and a second hand purchase?

I’m fairly confident the answer is the sales tax would still apply since it is from a retailer but perhaps that is not always the case in every state? I’ve never bought a used machine from a retailer so please pardon my ignorance in asking the question.

#191 5 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Apologies for what is probably a silly question, but is there a sales tax applied when buying a floor model machine? Does being a floor model make the items simply used and a second hand purchase?
    I’m fairly confident the answer is the sales tax would still apply since it is from a retailer but perhaps that is not always the case in every state? I’ve never bought a used machine from a retailer so please pardon my ignorance in asking the question.

Even used items incur the sales tax.

Think of a used car, or a used guitar at Guitarcenter.

#192 5 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

With Sales Tax, look who this affects the most, as a percentage of income.

Agreed Art.

State and National Lotteries/scratch off's are worse. It's a direct tax on the poor.

#193 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Agreed Art.
    State and National Lotteries/scratch off's are worse. It's a direct tax on the poor.

Tobacco products and cheap booze also.

#194 5 years ago
    Quoted from KloggMonkey:

Tobacco products and cheap booze also.

At least you get some pleasure from that! But yeah, sin taxes are another tax on the poor.

Check out this tax summary of California! Wow

http://www.lao.ca.gov/reports/2018/3805/ca-tax-system-041218.pdf

#195 5 years ago

Yeah, what I save on property tax, I more than make up for on alcohol, tobacco and weed tax.

#196 5 years ago

Sounds Funny!

Heres an Old Ad I just received for some cheap Booze! Tax the Can opener!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #197 5 years ago

That's what we pay for the convenience of being able to walk into a store and buy weed, instead of hustling it in the back alley of some ghetto.

#198 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gunske:

Just stop crying about taxes...
    In belgium I pay 55% tax on my monthly wage, gasprice is; 1.4€/liter,
    "house buy" tax on total buy price, was 5 and 10%, now 7% for all. And if you build a new one, it's 21% basic tax + 7%...
    alcohol is since last year 30% extra taxed,
    driving tax; 800€/year,
    house tax; 750€/year,
    green power tax for my solar panels; 500€/year.
    Sure we got "free" basic health care, but we need also to have extra insurance for hospital fees.
    Also we pay roughly 35% on all non European stuff we fly in.

Wow.

#199 5 years ago

Sorry...1 More! Solves problems for everyone!

Quoted from o-din:

That's what we pay for the convenience of being able to walk into a store and buy weed, instead of hustling it in the back alley of some ghetto.

Just funny, as its not here, yet.....

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #200 5 years ago
    Quoted from PiperPinball:

In America we are literally taxed to death now!

Especially in CA!

There are 467 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/supreme-court-passes-online-sales-tax-/page/4?hl=jenniebear and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.