Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by cottonm4
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

knowing (resized).jpg
    14F7D93E-1C08-4CE6-9EB0-5DABFE69110D (resized).jpeg
    2018-11-22 10.30.41 (resized).jpg
    2018-11-22 10.30.04 (resized).jpg
    PwKlWdP (resized).jpg
    #1 5 years ago

I’ve seen a bunch of different options-some homemade, and some manufactured-for supporting your pin while you remove the legs on one side. I want something like this for Xmas, but my husband has never seen them so I need to give him photos or links so that he can either make one for me or go buy one.

What are some support designs/models that you find work well? Can you post a picture or two, or provide a link?

My gameroom chairs thank you in advance!

#2 5 years ago

I use a padded bar stool and it works like a champ

#3 5 years ago

I made two sawhorses with long enough legs to hold it up off floor. Few screws and 2x4's with felt strips glued to the tops.

#4 5 years ago

I use a sturdy chair and add encyclopedia books for height.

Those books have no other purpose other than that.

#5 5 years ago

Post # 317 here shows a neat looking tool I want to try making some day.

Definitely worth looking at the other links in that post to check out the tool, I think.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/show-and-tell-your-diy-homemade-tools/page/7

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from ercvacation:

I use a padded bar stool and it works like a champ

I do the same. Works great.

#7 5 years ago

Or maybe just a wicker basket?

PwKlWdP (resized).jpgPwKlWdP (resized).jpg
    #8 5 years ago
    Quoted from pacmanretro:

Or maybe just a wicker basket?

[quoted image]

That’s what I feel like I’m currently doing!

#9 5 years ago

Pinball lifter and pinball tilter are the ideal option. Bruce Nightingale of the Slam Tilt Podcast sells them. I need to get one someday. Besides helping put legs on and off yourself, it makes moving games in and out of a lineup really easy.

http://www.pinballlifter.com/index.php/pinball-tilter

EDIT: I just noticed he sells something called Pinball Helper for $80 that looks like it’s exacly what you’re looking for. It wouldn’t help moving games around but if all you want is something to help putting legs on and off, it looks perfect

#10 5 years ago

I use a 2' folding aluminum ladder. I sometimes need to use a short (10"-12" 2"x4") board on top (or a book, as others mentioned), for added height, if needed.

#11 5 years ago

can put the game on saw horses or better yet a flat top coffin lifter type thing.

years ago i got one from harbor freight that my dad put an old swing hinge on the arm so you can get it under games all the way. I have seen the same ones where people just bend the bar near the base so it fits.

https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/lifts-stands/500-lbs-capacity-hydraulic-table-cart-60730.html

like that but mine is orange.

#12 5 years ago

I made one out of left of scraps I had lying around.

I used a fence post (4x4) cut to length, then I cut a cube from the excess - and then cut that in half diagonally to make two triangular prisms which are attached to the base and act as stabilisers. The base (now 12x4) had a strip of rubber glued to it, to prevent scratches on the floor and help even out the base.
    Then on the top I put some old foam, then nailed another strip of rubber over the top to hold it in place. This makes for a nice cushioned surface for the pin to sit on, again providing stability and preventing scratches.
    Finally I drilled 8 holes down the middle to seat the leg bolts in so that they are always to hand.

It has the added bonus of being the perfect width to shrink wrap the 4 legs around for easy transport, and keeping everything together.
    It also fits inside the coin door, so it is easy to store.

There's really no need to buy anything special, just knock something up from bits lying around - even if you don't have anything lying around should only cost a few quid/dollars for the wood.

#13 5 years ago
    14F7D93E-1C08-4CE6-9EB0-5DABFE69110D (resized).jpeg14F7D93E-1C08-4CE6-9EB0-5DABFE69110D (resized).jpeg
    #14 5 years ago
    Quoted from chubtoad13:

Pinball lifter and pinball tilter are the ideal option. Bruce Nightingale of the Slam Tilt Podcast sells them. I need to get one someday. Besides helping put legs on and off yourself, it makes moving games in and out of a lineup really easy.
    EDIT: I just noticed he sells something called Pinball Helper for $80 that looks like it’s exacly what you’re looking for. It wouldn’t help moving games around but if all you want is something to help putting legs on and off, it looks perfect

YES, the pinball helper is exactly the type of thing I’m thinking of! I’ve seen some homemade ones too that work fine.

#15 5 years ago

The Harbor Freight lift table is awesome. There is an extensive thread here somewhere. Sometimes I still use this because it's so easy.

2018-11-22 10.30.04 (resized).jpg2018-11-22 10.30.04 (resized).jpg2018-11-22 10.30.41 (resized).jpg2018-11-22 10.30.41 (resized).jpg
    #16 5 years ago

Yeah these are the types of things I’m thinking of! I personally will be fine with a homemade solution but figure i’ll Give him a bunch of options.

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from pacmanretro:

Definitely worth looking at the other links in that post to check out the tool, I think.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/show-and-tell-your-diy-homemade-tools/page/7

I've built the same for myself, it's a lifesaver when setting up or breaking down a pin......

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from AUKraut:

I've built the same for myself, it's a lifesaver when setting up or breaking down a pin......

Awesome to hear you made one too. I really liked the idea of hardly having to do anything manually and that it isn't a huge cart or anything.

I used to do pins by myself when I was younger. Put front legs on, lean to ground, dead lift rear. Set on knee and push foot up high enough to get back legs on (I'm big and tall so my legs where just long enough).

Years later of doing stupid stuff like that, I've got bad knee, bad back, bad neck; and, I am ALWAYS loving anything that minimizes physical strain (even if it takes longer). Wish I had done stuff slow and careful back then....it catches up to you....

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from pacmanretro:

Holy cow- that is genius!!!!!

A lil nugget of knowledge:

If you click on "#317" at the top of that post, you'll get the direct hyperlink to that exact post:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/show-and-tell-your-diy-homemade-tools/page/7#post-4118318

For future help : ) !

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

Holy cow- that is genius!!!!!

A lil nugget of knowledge:
    If you click on "#317" at the top of that post, you'll get the direct hyperlink to that exact post:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/show-and-tell-your-diy-homemade-tools/page/7#post-4118318
    For future help : ) !

Thanks for that! I was wondering how people did that.

knowing (resized).jpgknowing (resized).jpg
    #21 5 years ago
    Quoted from chubtoad13:

The Pinball Helper is well made and adjustable height. It is also padded with heavy rubber to prevent damage to the cabinet. They're great.

#22 5 years ago

Just buy a pinball dolly.

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from pacmanretro:

I used to do pins by myself when I was younger. Put front legs on, lean to ground, dead lift rear. Set on knee and push foot up high enough to get back legs on (I'm big and tall so my legs where just long enough).

Years later of doing stupid stuff like that, I've got bad knee, bad back, bad neck; and, I am ALWAYS loving anything that minimizes physical strain (even if it takes longer). Wish I had done stuff slow and careful back then....it catches up to you....

This is what I do. It doesn't seem so bad (unless it's WOZ or TZ). What do you do now? Talk me out of my bad habits!

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

This is what I do. It doesn't seem so bad (unless it's WOZ or TZ). What do you do now? Talk me out of my bad habits!

Well..err...uhmm...
    Lol.

This is an area of why I still need to build that device.

I don't have an alternate solution, yet. But I rarely try doing a machine by myself these days because of it.

I'm usually the "bolt the legs on while other guy holds it" person right now.

Still...don't let it get to that point.

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

Just buy a pinball dolly.

That’s what I originally was going to do, but I don’t think I need anything that robust. The Pintastic crew gave me an excellent master class in how to break down/set up pins this past year, and with just something to prop up the end, I now can pretty much prep a game for shipping entirely by myself. (Which if you ever saw my ridiculously useless girly T-Rex arms, you’d be quite impressed, lol!)

I know a dolly can be super useful for moving pins around in a game room, but that’s not a major consideration for us at the present. I’m also concerned that I don’t really have anywhere good to store it when I’m not using it until I get the basement overflow room going in a year or two. The (prop/stand/helper) should be all I need for the foreseeable future.

ETA: I assumed you are talking about the hydraulic lift tables, since I’ve seen those used to take legs off, but if you are referring to an appliance dolly, I do have one of those for moving the pins around. I just need something to help get the first set of legs off.

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from pacmanretro:

Well..err...uhmm...
    Lol.
    This is an area of why I still need to build that device.
    I don't have an alternate solution, yet. But I rarely try doing a machine by myself these days because of it.
    I'm usually the "bolt the legs on while other guy holds it" person right now.
    Still...don't let it get to that point.

That’s our current method but it can be a bit dodgy with the heavier pins, and I don’t like having to always be dependent on having my husband free to help me out.

#27 5 years ago

I'm looking for a cart solution to slide pins in and out to be able to work on them more easily. To work on EM heads, you can only access them from the back, and my pins only have about 4-5" of clearance between the heads since my collection is growing, so I almost have no choice now. For just removing legs, I used a non-padded wooden stool that's about 2" taller than the back legs. Prop up the back. Back legs off first. Slowly ease the back down (using your legs, not your back), and rock back on the back of the cabinet (that's what those little feet pads are for--even though they're missing half the time). Installing legs is reverse. With the pin upright, install the front legs, slowly lean the machine onto the front legs, and then lift the back up and onto the stool. A second set of hands helps, but I've done it many times solo with no problem.

I saw this dolly:

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200696307_200696307

Already has the bent handle, and is cheaper than the Harbor Freight version, although it's 3" shorter. Longer is better, as it makes the pin less likely to tip.

I'm at work, so I can't measure it. Anyone know what the average width between the legs is? If this would fit, it'd probably be better as it is longer still, and the handle folds down for storage.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200696308_200696308

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from chubtoad13:

i so want this helper deal. another local pinsider had one of these, and I was in awe of him!! already emailed him!!

my knees/legs thank him already!! im too old for that kind of weight on my poor legs. man I love pinside!!!

#29 5 years ago

Good info in here. Following.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/supports-for-removing-legs?hl=puffdanny and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.