• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BH Bracket L.JPG
BH Bracket R.JPG
#1 9 years ago

Hello Pinsiders! Longtime lurker, first time poster, love the forum, hope you enjoy this topic...

I bought a Black Hole a couple of weeks ago and am currently in the process of bulletproofing it. This will be a bit of work, but based on my fond memories of this game from my youth, I know the reward will be worth the effort (eventually!)

Out of the gate (pun intended), I realized I have an unfortunate problem. While investigating the underside of my playfield, I quickly realized that my basement ceiling is too low to allow me to lift the upper playfield completely vertically and rest it against the backbox. I also soon realized this playfield is HEAVY!

Rather than take the Sawzall to the floor joists, I have concluded I will need figure out a way to routinely prop up the playfield to work underneath it.

Unlike my Bally/Williams machines, my Black Hole did not come with any support bars / braces to prop up the playfield. Interestingly, there are brackets mounted on opposite sides of inside of the cabinet where supports seemingly would have supported both sides of the playfield simultaneously. See photo.

Is my support mechanism just missing from my machine or did Gottlieb omit these because of space limitations introduced by having a lower playfield?

If it is just missing, might anyone have one available from a donor machine? If not, any suggestions on how to fabricate a solid support?

BH Bracket R.JPGBH Bracket R.JPG
BH Bracket L.JPGBH Bracket L.JPG

#2 9 years ago

cabinet up on trolley .. legs off ... lower cabinet as low as trolley goes ... work as normal

#4 9 years ago

Also, make sure you are pulling the playfield forward all the way on the U-shaped tracks. I have to juggle mine a bit to get it down in the lowest portion of the track, then I can just barely clear the ceiling in my basement.

The other thing I have done is use a ratchet strap to an eyebolt in one of the overhead beams. Whatever you do, do not put any pressure on the backbox - its seams are quite fragile.

#5 9 years ago

Unfortunately, I don't have a "trolley", but it may be time to invest in one. I did try the stick (actually 1/2 a pool que ) as MOF suggested, but I don't like the fact that the playfield is supported only on one side, but based on extensive shopping he did on his Black Hole I'm probably being overly cautious. Toyguy's strap idea crossed my mind and I know exactly the eyelet you are referring to.

Thank you all of your input. I'll let you know which method I go with in the end.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from pinfish:

Unfortunately, I don't have a "trolley", but it may be time to invest in one. I did try the stick (actually 1/2 a pool que ) as MOF suggested, but I don't like the fact that the playfield is supported only on one side, but based on extensive shopping he did on his Black Hole I'm probably being overly cautious. Toyguy's strap idea crossed my mind and I know exactly the eyelet you are referring to.
Thank you all of your input. I'll let you know which method I go with in the end.

I tend to mount it MIDDLE playfield, not an edge.
-mof

#7 9 years ago

For anyone knowledgeable about Black Hole.... During non-play, the lower playfield illumination turns on and then off at regular intervals. I looked at one the other day and the "CLICKCLICK.... CLICK CLICK.... CLICK" sound it made was annoying. Can the mode be adjusted where the lower playfield illumination can be steady (or just off) during non-play? Thanks.

#8 9 years ago

You may be able to turn it off if you disable the attract features, I've never tried it so I'm not sure about it.

Steve

#9 9 years ago

For my most recent machine I used a nylon ratchet hold down strap.
One end hooked to the ceiling joist the other to the play field hanger.
I know black hole does not have the hangers but just an idea.
It worked out very well while trying to work both sides of the pf and could adjust the height in seconds
I have worked on at least one machine with no legs on as well I found that worked out pretty well also.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ottawa, ON
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/supporting-a-black-hole-playfield and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.