IMG_7730 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
20160515_100830_(resized).jpg
20160523_084715_(resized).jpg
20160522_175935_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg

There are 136 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 8 years ago

Started this thread originally to tell my storm related rescue but now that a number of us have rescued games from Jack's collection iron00monkey suggested we start a club thread so I'm converting this thread to the club thread. Here's my story for those of you reading this for the 1st time.

Over the past few years this forum has helped me in countless ways. Many of you have held my hand and walked me through my 1st shop job, board repair or game revival and given me the confidence to keep taking on new challenges. It is in the spirit of that confidence that I took this next step after being inspired by Drano's thread:https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fathom-if-you-cant-find-one-build-one

After waking up and finding a post for damaged pins from superstorm Sandy I quickly called the # when I saw that a Fathom was in the pile thinking I just jumped on that cpr short run list of fathom reruns. Here's the ad:Fathom, 1981 Bally: $1000
Superstorm Sandy damaged. Backbox, backglass and electronics good. Cabinet and playfield damaged. Calls after 6pm weekdays. 19 other Bally titles to choose from.
Jack O'reilly, Phone: 732-793-4194

I spoke with Jack himself who didn't sugarcoat anything. He's a cool collector of 80s Bally's that got royally screwed by Mother Nature. He asked me to post his info in case anyone was as crazy as I was for a title. All the heads weren't touched by the water during the storm and immediately stored upstairs in his house afterwards. All the bodies are standing up in his garage slowly rusting away. I asked him to honor me as 1st responder and he did!

I immediately contacted my pinball Godfather vid1900 and ran the details past him to get his blessing. He consented and as always offered to help, which gave me the confidence to ignore my wife and call Jack back. I drove down to Lavalette NJ last night and took the 1st step in realizing my Fathom dream! Let me know if you think I've drunk too much of the pinball kool-aid or I'm one lucky SOB! The pink in the bg is the red wall behind me. The last pic is of the bodies in his garage. Guess I'm about to join the cult of Evaporust.

20160314_213638_(resized).jpg20160314_213638_(resized).jpg20160314_213844_(resized).jpg20160314_213844_(resized).jpg20160314_213944_(resized).jpg20160314_213944_(resized).jpg20160314_213820_(resized).jpg20160314_213820_(resized).jpg20160315_125701_(resized).jpg20160315_125701_(resized).jpg20160315_125710_(resized).jpg20160315_125710_(resized).jpg20160315_125719_(resized).jpg20160315_125719_(resized).jpg20160315_125741_(resized).jpg20160315_125741_(resized).jpg20160315_125952_(resized).jpg20160315_125952_(resized).jpg20160315_130002_(resized).jpg20160315_130002_(resized).jpg20160315_130015_(resized).jpg20160315_130015_(resized).jpg20160315_130205_(resized).jpg20160315_130205_(resized).jpg20160315_130214_(resized).jpg20160315_130214_(resized).jpg20160315_130209_(resized).jpg20160315_130209_(resized).jpg20160315_130223_(resized).jpg20160315_130223_(resized).jpg20160315_130235_(resized).jpg20160315_130235_(resized).jpg20160315_130244_(resized).jpg20160315_130244_(resized).jpg20160314_173348_(resized).jpg20160314_173348_(resized).jpg

20160314_214000_(resized).jpg20160314_214000_(resized).jpg

#2 8 years ago

That looks better then most of the Fathoms I've seen. You got a heck of a deal and I can honestly say "wish I was closer".

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

#3 8 years ago

Honestly, I was also expecting it to look much worse than that.

#4 8 years ago

Dang. I've bought way worse looking games.

#5 8 years ago

My Firepower was a Sandy game, the water didn't reach the body but becoming an island is not a good career move for a pin. Much evaporust and many replacement sleeves, coil plungers, screws, lamp sockets, etc. later, it played great and the only real problem I ever had was a display issue which had nothing to do with water. You'll see, Fathom will clean up just fine.

#6 8 years ago

Looks better than some games I've seen on craigslist.

Get your battery charger and soda ash ready for some serious rust removal....

pic5_(resized).jpgpic5_(resized).jpg

#7 8 years ago

This looks worth the effort to me,keep us posted on your restoration.
Mike

#8 8 years ago

Wow, I expected that game to be a lot worse off.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from Grizlyrig:

This looks worth the effort to me,keep us posted on your restoration.
Mike

Will do Mike. When I left I expected to not even ask for the legs but he had them stored in a bin. The 4 that came with Fathom were auto painted a very dark blue.20160315_212351_(resized).jpg20160315_212351_(resized).jpg

#10 8 years ago

I thought about calling for this game. I figured the cab would be withered away and didn't want a huge project. I live closer to him than you. I'm glad it worked out!

#11 8 years ago

Nice Chris, I saw the ad too and was going to call. Glad you got it. Looks like you'll be able bring that one back just fine.

Brian

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Looks better than some games I've seen on craigslist.

Again thanks for the confidence vid!

Quoted from Lovef2k:I thought about calling for this game. I figured the cab would be withered away and didn't want a huge project. I live closer to him than you. I'm glad it worked out!

Quoted from pinster68:

Nice Chris, I saw the ad too and was going to call. Glad you got it. Looks like you'll be able bring that one back just fine.
Brian

Thanks guys

#13 8 years ago

looks to be a great score...lots of resto work but looks to be complete ... I would have jumped on it, congratulations...

#14 8 years ago

I saw it 3 days ago and would have bought it had it been within 300 miles of me. Nice find if you ask me. It probably needs a ton of work but that is half the fun.

#15 8 years ago

Score !
*as we all kick ourselves*

#16 8 years ago

Not sure the ins and outs (or ups and downs), but that pf looks pretty daggone sweet to me. Looks barely played.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

but that pf looks pretty daggone sweet to me. Looks barely played.

Think how good it looked before it met the Atlantic.....

#18 8 years ago

great score!!!

#19 8 years ago

*Sound of me crying in my root beer* Good score man! Like a lot of others I fully expected these games to be nightmares to restore. BTW: just curious what were the other games that Jack didn't list in his ad?

#20 8 years ago

Looks like a very good score to me.

First place I'd start is the power transformer and rectifier board in the bottom of the machine. Clean off and paint the power transformer with semi-flat black paint (after carefully noting any white part numbers Bally had put on the transformer). Next replace all of the connectors (Great Plains Electronics carries them) on the rectifier board and don't forget to also replace the female counterparts of the harness too. Probably would be a good idea to replace the fuse clips because they are likely corroded/fatigued. Clean and test the bridge rectifiers.

Once the above is done, it will be safe to power up the machine and see what happens.

#21 8 years ago

If the cabinet is salvagable (i.e. not warped) replace the 1/4" crud board in the bottom .... That is probably caked with filth. You should see what post-flood MDF filth looks like!!!

I'd start on the playfield first and foremost.

Pull all the under the playfield assemblies and de-rust as vid pointed out ...

Remove the lamps and switches. You'll probably have lots of switches that need cleaned .

Remove the wiring harness and scrub it to hell and back. A large ultrasonic cleaner works wonders here.

Get all new lamp sockets and ground braid (this is debatable ... Sometimes they clean up great after rust removal and you'll never have issues from them ... I'd just get new ones for a game like Fathom though). Install.

Wire the GI first. Follow that up with the individual lamps.

Install your switches. Pay close attention to diodes (use new ones ... They're dirt cheap)

Wire up the switches.

Reinstall your clean major assemblies.

Try to avoid using wire ties at first. If that's impossible, at least keep them loose. You're going to make a mistake ... You'll burn through wire ties like crazy and you risk cutting wires by accident if you tie them too tight. Once you have it wired to your liking, you can then make things a bit more tidy grouping wires and tying them in bundles.

Flip it over and put the top back together. This will seem easy compared to what you just went through.

Cut off all connectors. Crimp on new pins and install new connectors.

First time you do this, it'll take around 120 hours. Just takes lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of pictures. Shoot a couple of videos at the max resolution of your camera. Then take lots and lots and lots and lots of additional pictures. Then take a few more pictures. And one more picture .

Seriously, you can't have too many pictures. I can almost guarantee you there will be one wire that will look like two color combinations and you'll have to guess .

Once you have that playfield under control, start to fire up the electronics starting at the power supply and work your way forward. Only connect what you have to at first. Start with getting the rectifier board solid as another pinsider mentioned. From there, connect up your MPU. Get that working. Then the lamp drivers. Then the displays. Then the solenoid driver. Just take it a step at a time. Do not rush no matter how good you are with this stuff . Again, one thing at a time!

It's a LOT of work doing this. You're doing a playfield swap as well as overhauling a lot of parts that underwent some rust trauma. However, when you fire it up and it's all working, kick back and enjoy one of the best pins ever made. Then look at your before pics and marvel at what you have now. I never get sick of that feeling .

#22 8 years ago

Nice score indeed...wonder if the Centaur is still available

Anyone know?

#23 8 years ago

That is 100% better condition than what I had imagined when I read the ad that morning.

Congrats on the fathom!!

#24 8 years ago

Thanks Captive and Slim. When I was there Jack said he had some interest in the Centaur. Does anyone know if plastic sets are still floating around out there? The plastics are flat and unbroken but would love the clear areas to look like new.

#25 8 years ago

I would have bought that in a heart beat. It will be a fun project,enjoy.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#26 8 years ago

He also had an ad up for Centaur for the same price, wonder if he still has it.

This game was a good deal. Not anything I'd ever want to undertake, but if you have the time, skills, and patience, why not.

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from Crispin:

Does anyone know if plastic sets are still floating around out there? The plastics are flat and unbroken but would love the clear areas to look like new.

I have seen a few plastics sets come up on Ebay over the past 12 months....would keep an eye out.

#28 8 years ago

Looks like a deal to me. I would get that rust off sooner rather than later though. Good luck!

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

There are a bunch of plastics on Ebay now...
ebay.com link » Bally 1980 Fathom Pinball Machine Game Playfield Plastic M 1330 187 1 Nice

There are, but I'm sure OP wants a nice set...from what he said, his probably look similar to the pieces currently being sold on Ebay.

Quoted from Crispin:

The plastics are flat and unbroken but would love the clear areas to look like new.

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from megadeth2600:

I'd start on the playfield first and foremost.

I tend to start with the electrical system, then the electronics, then the playfield assemblies, then cosmetics.

If you can't get the electrical/electronics systems working, why bother wasting your time with the rest of it?

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I tend to start with the electrical system, then the electronics, then the playfield assemblies, then cosmetics.
If you can't get the electrical/electronics systems working, why bother wasting your time with the rest of it?

This is me too, from an EM to a digital.

Get the game working first and then tackle the playfield.

#34 8 years ago

I just got a new set from marco not that long ago.

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

This is the way to go. That way you know it was working before the swap so it is easier to track down the problem if one pops up.

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from fiberdude120:

I just got a new set from marco not that long ago.

Shows out of stock

#37 8 years ago

Planetary pinball still has them as of now.

#38 8 years ago

Fiberdude great heads up! I can't believe I forgot Planetary last night. New set is already ordered! You don't happen to have a pristine Fathom apron up your sleeve?

#39 8 years ago

When you paint the cab, paint the apron and legs the same shade.

Do the green lettering with green plotter cut vinyl (only the tiny font can't be done).

#40 8 years ago

I wish I had gotten that!

My Flash Gordon looked about as bad as that.

Have fun bringing it back to life.

#41 8 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I'm an EE. Fixing the electronics in pins is not too difficult for me. What is extremely difficult for me is anything artwork or woodworking related . That kind of stuff takes me much longer (though I am getting better).

When I find projects, the electronics are the absolute last thing I am concerned about. I at least need some decent art or have to know that replacement backglass/playfield/plastics/ramps are available (depending on whats needed of course ... I always try to use the original when possible).

When I attack projects like this, I want to get them completely cleaned up and mechanically sound before I even power it up. If I do power anything up, it's typically on the bench and not in the game.

I should have mentioned that I have those skills and equipment for that though ... I can certainly see why people would do things in a different order .

#42 8 years ago
Quoted from megadeth2600:

I'm an EE. Fixing the electronics in pins is not too difficult for me. What is extremely difficult for me is anything artwork or woodworking related . That kind of stuff takes me much longer (though I am getting better).
When I find projects, the electronics are the absolute last thing I am concerned about. I at least need some decent art or have to know that replacement backglass/playfield/plastics/ramps are available (depending on whats needed of course ... I always try to use the original when possible).
When I attack projects like this, I want to get them completely cleaned up and mechanically sound before I even power it up. If I do power anything up, it's typically on the bench and not in the game.
I should have mentioned that I have those skills and equipment for that though ... I can certainly see why people would do things in a different order .

I'm of the mind where you rebuild the car engine before giving it a new paint job.

But, I get that everybody has their own process which works for them depending on their skillset.

#43 8 years ago

Not as bad as I expected.

#44 8 years ago
Quoted from Crispin:

Fiberdude great heads up! I can't believe I forgot Planetary last night. New set is already ordered! You don't happen to have a pristine Fathom apron up your sleeve?

No but hopefully when CPR is ready I will have a new playfield.

#45 8 years ago

Crispin:

Thanks for the honest and straightforward account of dealing with Jack. He had an unbelievable collection prior to the storm. I'm glad you are happy with your purchase. That was a great playing game and I wish you well with its restoration.

I'm a good friend of Jacks and he called me the other night to ask me to look for this post. He is not on the internet so asking for pictures will not be possible. Call him and ask your questions. He has nothing to hide and is just looking for fair and realistic prices.

There was a question on what games are still available: Centaur, Playboy, Vector, Embryon, Paragon, Flash Gordon, Supersonic, Space Invaders, Future Spa, Hot Doggin, Skateball, Lost World, Star Trek, Mystic, Electra, Spectrum, Harlem and Blackjack.

There have been quite a few inquiries but only Fathom has been sold. If you need a particular back glass they are for the most part collector quality. Glasses like Paragon and Lost World are not pealing and intact. I would suggest you make a trip to the shore and look at the games in person. Rare to see all these Bally titles for sale at one time in one place. Certainly not a waste of time if you are a collector of classic Bally pins.

#46 8 years ago

One more....Medusa.

#47 8 years ago
Quoted from Pbpins:

Not as bad as I expected.

Jack's collection was really nice before the storm. It was exhilarating to see all the heads upstairs. All those great titles in one room, but walking through the bottom of the gutted out part of the house was heart wrenching. We walked out the back door and I tried to imagine the water level judging from what was gutted out in the house. It truly was unreal.

Quoted from fiberdude120:

No but hopefully when CPR is ready I will have a new playfield.

I'll cross fingers for the both of us!

Quoted from Geo1:

Thanks for the honest and straightforward account of dealing with Jack.

You're welcome Geo. He was a pleasure. Anyone that's on the fence about jumping in on one of these should take the trip to go look. I should have taken the few extra minutes to go back upstairs and take pics of the heads so you could tell which pins were there. Sorry guys, it was a crappy rainy day and I was selfishly thinking of beating some traffic. I'm really thinking about going back for the Embryon or Flash Gordon. There's something wrong with me.

#48 8 years ago

It's always better when someone has been there and seen the games and met the person. Jack appreciates the post and kind words.

It truly is a shame what happened to him and his games. You should have seen the piles of parts that were thrown out. Collector quality games ruined in an instant.

If you need boards, plastics, electronics or hard to find back glasses this is your chance to obtain them.

Thanks again for your post.

#49 8 years ago

I'm curious to form a reference: that Fathom cabinet looks to be in really good shape considering it was... submerged? To what depth? Had any cleaning and recovery been attempted prior to the sale?

I only ask because when I imagine a "game that's been in a flood two years ago", I picture a cabinet with wood having swollen its paint off, ply layers and joints apart, caked with residue filth, and possibly moldy. If water got up to the pf level, I'd imagine the pf would go well past the point of salvage once the plies soak and swell up, warp, pop the inserts, etc.

That one looks like maybe it held a couple inches of water in the bottom for a short time before it drained out? Or can these games actually survive really well, relatively speaking? I mean with all the references to removing the heads I imagine the whole bottom was submerged, but it just doesn't look as bad as I'd expect. There are probably games that were dry their whole lives that look far worse. Or is it actually "worse" than what the pictures say?

Again, not trying to poke anyone's reputation here... this is actually fascinating. The dry Firepower project I've been working almost looked worse in some ways, so consider it a bit of pin-forensics if you will

#50 8 years ago

Water came up and hit the bottoms of the playfields and then receded.
The games were not underwater for days. Nothing has been done to the games.

It is tough to assess any damaged game over the phone. His preference is for people to see the games in person and make the decision.

I hold to my original statement in thanking Chrispin for his honesty.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs
Electronics
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
There are 136 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/superstorm-sandy-fathom-lucky-or-stupid and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.