• Latest reply 5 years ago by pinkid
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20181224_065030 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

I brought this Supersonic back from the dead. I have one more display issue to resolve, but everything else is working great. Curse those Bally lamp (I'll call them bulbs from here on) sockets. I changed quite a few of them, but not all.

I keep having filaments break on bulbs close to the flippers and sling shots. Actually, I replaced the bulbs under the slings once already in 50 games and I just lost another one. Bonus 5000 has a new socket and I'm on my 3rd bulb. I'm currently using new #47 bulbs. I have several used older bulbs that I pulled out of the game and I tried a few of those. Same issue, filament breaks. The upper playfield bulbs have not had this issue.

I did not rebuild the flippers or sling shots, but disassembled and cleaned them all and I installed new coil sleeves. They seem powerful and strong and no missing pieces. I was thinking about installing LEDs eventually, but now I'm thinking about doing it sooner than later.

Anyone have any thoughts on this.

Thanks.

20181224_065030 (resized).jpg20181224_065030 (resized).jpg
#2 5 years ago

Hi. Supersonic is such a cool game, and congratulations on bringing it back!

FWIW, I haven't had issues with short lamp/bulb life in traditional sockets (inserts, slings, etc.), but the #44 or #47 lamps in my early Bally Solid State pop bumper sockets would often snap their filaments or burn out in the course of seemingly 15-20 games. I switched to Comet LEDs for the pops and it resolved the issue.

They do look slightly different (especially in attract mode), but they are lit

Good luck resolving your issue!

#3 5 years ago

I would suggest some LEDs too. New normal 44/47 bulbs are terrible. They don't last long compared to the original GE bulbs.

#4 5 years ago

Yep. Cheap Chinese bulbs these days.

#5 5 years ago

I'm still wrapping up testing and minor repairs. I had purchased some Comet LEDs to try. I ordered 1smd warm white (clear and frosted) and the same in the new Sunlight white. I only ordered 1 of each for testing.

I am not sure if the 1 smd or 2 smd would be the way to go. The 1 smd warm is a bit brighter than than the 47. Not sure about under slings and plastics...clear or frosted?

Opinions welcome.

#6 5 years ago

Frosted for GI. I use warm whites and like them. Frosted disperse light.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 10.00
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/supersonic-bulb-issue?hl=skidave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.