(Topic ID: 313129)

Supersonic - both flippers stopped working

By GuiitarMan

2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20220405_191248 (resized).jpg
    #1 2 years ago

My Bally Supersonic flippers stopped working. My sound stopped working around the same time as well, but one thing at a time. I'm still a beginner, but have recapped everything, replaced the MPU and lamp driver boards, built all new displays, and rebuilt the flippers (worked great afterwards) so I know just enough to get into trouble...or get shocked...

First it was sparatic. I could power cycle and they would work again. Now they are totally dead. My connectors all look good, under playfield fuse is good, and all other coils fire normally during a game.

While checking the wires/connections, with the power off, I brushed against the little silver box pictured and it gave me a nice little shock. Is this suppose to happen? Does anything look off in the picture? What should I check next? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

20220405_191248 (resized).jpg20220405_191248 (resized).jpg
    #2 2 years ago

That "silver box" is the mains filter and is connected DIRECTLY to the mains!!! The red part soldered to it is a MOV and needs replacing.

Lucky you are still here to tell the tale!

UNPLUG the machine from the wall outlet before doing ANY soldering work like this. If you are not confident working with mains power seek professional repair help.

To fix the flippers, watch some Youtube videos on how to use a multimeter AND even more important, how to interpret what that meter tells you.

#3 2 years ago

The line filter and red disc Varistor should have plastic tubing covering the exposed wires. The varistor should be bright red and goes across the leads. It looks burned up. You should replace the varistor and use head shrink over the wires to prevent future shocks.

Look under the relay on the Solenoid board for cold solder connections. That is a common point of fail for flipper issues when both flippers are dead.

#4 2 years ago

In solenoid test, listen for the flipper relay to activate. Could be transistor on solenoid driver board, cold solder or connector. I have had a lot of trouble with the harness connector contacts. I replaced every contact at MPU and solenoid boards with new and now machine is much more reliable. Try spraying Deoxit contact cleaner inside the connectors to see if gets better.
    The varistor is ugly but not the issue.
    The sound board issue is often failed IC chip. Need to verify voltages and listen for buzz while touching components. If replacing capacitors does not fix, make new post for more sound board ideas.

#5 2 years ago

flipper relay is located on the driver board - square cube, it either works or doesn't and you should hear an audible click from it during power up

power it up with backbox open and listen for it to energize (click) as long as your mpu is working properly it should energize after/during boot up

flipper playfield connector is to left of the cube, maybe reset it and see if anything changes

have seen the traces from the relay to the pins disintegrate on several boards

if no click relay could be bad (usually is) would need to verify correct voltage is present at relay

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/supersonic-both-flippers-stopped-working and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.