(Topic ID: 278042)

Supernatural homebrew pinball

By Wolfmarsh

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20210425_164225 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    7ca2cd56-fc96-4a36-bc2a-86e7db05e51d_1.6979fd22abcf006151ec340bf43b866d (resized).jpeg
    410784282_2f0e2e5081 (resized).jpg

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 3 years ago

It's time to start up my second homebrew game after Spaceballs, so I decided to go for one of my favorite TV shows, Supernatural. They are in their 15th and final season now, and the entire run has been fantastic. There's so much material to do for the game, I'm really excited.

I'll be taking a playfield designed by another homebrew friend, @Swizzlefish, and utilizing that as the foundation for the game.

I've already got a lot of modes and gameplay ideas, but I would love to hear from fans of the show. Any cool ideas or must haves in the game?

This one should go a little faster than spaceballs since I already have a lot of the process worked out.

#2 3 years ago

Oh hell yes!

#3 3 years ago

Long overdue title....
    Great TV series !
    Will you be posting progress as you go?

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from transprtr4u:

Long overdue title....
    Great TV series !
    Will you be posting progress as you go?

Yeah definitely! The plan is to get the cabinet and a first cut of the playfield done over winter.

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Yeah definitely! The plan is to get the cabinet and a first cut of the playfield done over winter

Following your build, looking forward to Oct 8 when they start wrapping up the series

#7 3 years ago

I was hooked from the first show. Sadly, I had to take a break around season 9. Might go back some day.

Good luck with the build, I'll be following!

410784282_2f0e2e5081 (resized).jpg410784282_2f0e2e5081 (resized).jpg
    #8 3 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

...I had to take a break around season 9.

9 & 10 are great

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from transprtr4u:

Following your build, looking forward to Oct 8 when they start wrapping up the series

Me too! I'm so sad to see it end.

Quoted from RonSS:

I was hooked from the first show. Sadly, I had to take a break around season 9. Might go back some day.
    Good luck with the build, I'll be following![quoted image]

Definitely go back and check it out. I really enjoyed around that time as TheLaw says.

#10 3 years ago

YES!! Will be following along, good luck on the build!

#11 3 years ago

Make 2 at the same time , that way you won't have too make me one later
    .....lol

#12 3 years ago

Dont forget Baby

7ca2cd56-fc96-4a36-bc2a-86e7db05e51d_1.6979fd22abcf006151ec340bf43b866d (resized).jpeg7ca2cd56-fc96-4a36-bc2a-86e7db05e51d_1.6979fd22abcf006151ec340bf43b866d (resized).jpeg
    #13 3 years ago
    Quoted from transprtr4u:

Dont forget Baby
    [quoted image]

Baby is definitely in.

So many great lines and clips across the years, not to mention the soundtrack is great. The game is practically begging for a killer sound system.

#14 3 years ago

So many possibilities here. Obviously there needs to be saving the world from the apocalypse (seasons 1-5). We definitely need a lot of Crowley. How about some kind of mode where the angels fall from heaven? I would so want this pinball!

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

So many great lines and clips across the years, not to mention the soundtrack is great.

Carry on my wayward son!

#16 3 years ago

The player numbers could be names,,,,
    Agent Plant & Agent Page.

1 week later
    #17 3 years ago

you beat me to it.......My wife and I had started a design for one to do after my TRON pinball (just started working on publicly). I feel like everyone who does these always has a few planned....Hahahahaha! Even had playfield art and some things modeled. Ah well.....Excited to see where you take it!

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from WizardPinball:

you beat me to it.......My wife and I had started a design for one to do after my TRON pinball (just started working on publicly). I feel like everyone who does these always has a few planned....Hahahahaha! Even had playfield art and some things modeled. Ah well.....Excited to see where you take it!

hey no one said "there can be only one" (that's a different theme I'm working on). make your own version if you want.

#19 3 years ago

This theme would be on my wife’s “Shut up and take my money” list. Such a fun show.

Quoted from BorgDog:

hey no one said "there can be only one" (that's a different theme I'm working on). make your own version if you want.

I was just thinking about the music for that one this morning.

#20 3 years ago

Your game definitely needs to get "posse magnet" in there somehow, would be a great mode or an actual, you know, magnet. And a pie, lots of pie. Pie Frenzy! There are so many great, hilarious lines and material, I can't imagine how you'd be able to comb through it all!

I'm only on season 7. I figure it'll take me another decade to finish. Something to look forward to, I guess.

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from WizardPinball:

There's definitely room for multiple games around supernatural!!

Don't let my take on the game stop you from doing yours!

Quoted from canea:

I can't imagine how you'd be able to comb through it all!

Yeah I've started the long process of rewatching every episode and taking notes/clips for game assets. There's so much.

1 month later
    #22 3 years ago

Now that the series is done, really want to see this homebrew completed.

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from transprtr4u:

Now that the series is done, really want to see this homebrew completed.

We've still got 1 episode left! This coming week is the two hour special, which is 1 hour of cast/crew interviews followed by the final episode, "Carry On".

#24 3 years ago

Your right ... Thought it was going going to be a interview show with their thoughts on 15 Seasons.
    Gives me something to look forward to this Thursday!
    Following your thread and looking forward to see what you come up with! Cannot believe this isn't a pin already with the volumes of stuff to use and the soundtracks
    Following!

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from transprtr4u:

Your right ... Thought it was going going to be a interview show with their thoughts on 15 Seasons.

I honestly had to look it up too, because the most recent episode kinda wrapped things up, albeit quicker than I expected.

1 week later
    #26 3 years ago

How about that finale? Someone was chopping onions over here.

#27 3 years ago

Great end to a great show ... nice to find out Castiel was pulled from the empty, Sam got his normal life !
    Seeing as you now have Thursday evening free , relying on you now for my Supernatural fix...
    Bring it.....

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from transprtr4u:

Great end to a great show ... nice to find out Castiel was pulled from the empty, Sam got his normal life !
    Seeing as you now have Thursday evening free , relying on you now for my Supernatural fix...
    Bring it.....

Things are moving right along.

Another homebrew pinball guy came to visit this weekend and we put together two cabinets. One each for our new projects.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #29 3 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

How about that finale? Someone was chopping onions over here.

----------SPOILERS ----------
    Ummm...I found it very strange. Very Han Solo to have an extra weirdo finale after the real finale just to kill off Dean.
    Well done all around though. Much like the show Dean's speech went on a little long over here to be effective
    Man I really wanted Crowly back but I didn't think it was going to happen....but of course I've also been waiting for Benny to come back for a decade for no reason.

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

One each for our new projects.

Uuuummm .... Where is the cabinet for mine?
    Following ......

#31 3 years ago

I’m about the size of the flipper button holes. Why so large?

#32 3 years ago

Perhaps a multibutton situation

#33 3 years ago

Pin2k buttons.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    2 months later
    #34 3 years ago

Any updates ... how goes the project?

3 months later
    #35 2 years ago

just checking again .... any progress?

#36 2 years ago

Sorry I missed your post a few months ago!

Things have been slow due to work, but yes there has been progress.

I've been working on a new homebrew power unit that turns homebrew machines into more of a regular pin experience as far as turning then off and on.

This is a super ugly prototype that I'm also using to test a firmware fix to fadecandy boards. The end unit will be a nice, compact metal box.
    20210425_164225 (resized).jpg20210425_164225 (resized).jpg

#37 2 years ago

I'll be following! Love the show however like others have mentioned I took a break (on season 7). I binged through so far and I just needed a break. Maybe time to get back. Cool stuff!

#38 2 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

This is a super ugly prototype that I'm also using to test a firmware fix to fadecandy boards.

What did you change in the firmware? Based on my analysis in the fadecandy bug?

#39 2 years ago
    Quoted from jabdoa:

What did you change in the firmware? Based on my analysis in the fadecandy bug?

I'm hoping to test that yeah, that's what the LED part of this rig was set up for. I just haven't had a chance to take a stab at setting up the build environment yet. I've got to get it so I can reliably recreate it to see if the fix works too. The upper strip is RGBW and the lower ones are just FAST RGB.

#40 2 years ago

It probably easier to reproduce with a lot of LEDs because those increase the chances for memory corruption on reconfigure. Awesome that you are looking into this!

#41 2 years ago

now we are rolling!

#42 2 years ago
    Quoted from jabdoa:

It probably easier to reproduce with a lot of LEDs because those increase the chances for memory corruption on reconfigure. Awesome that you are looking into this!

I'll probably get you involved Jan, Mike got me all set with unity and the fadecandy/mpf connection. Now I just need to cook up a scenario that reliably corrupts the memory.

#43 2 years ago

My wife is a huge Supernatural fan, so I'll get her to give some ideas. She right away said you should have Dean's "Son of a bitch" soundbite when it goes SDTM.

I wish I had skills to offer, would love to do a group homebrew like they tried to do with The Last Star Fighter.

#44 2 years ago
    Quoted from bobwiley:

do a group homebrew

surprised this was not a main stream title! would have sold lots!
    but happy to see what gets done here!

#45 2 years ago

How are you managing the power on and off with the MOBO? I’m using A start up shut/down board that monitors USB power on the MOBO. Occasionally it gets out of sync with what the rest of the machines doing it it’s a real pain to get it working again.

#46 2 years ago
    Quoted from Cmartin1235:

How are you managing the power on and off with the MOBO? I’m using A start up shut/down board that monitors USB power on the MOBO. Occasionally it gets out of sync with what the rest of the machines doing it it’s a real pain to get it working again.

I wrote a proper USB interface for mine, so the computer sees my design as a HID that can wake/shutdown the computer like a smart UPS does. An additional bonus is that since it's an actual USB device, I'm hoping to add an interface to MPF for it that reports voltages, etc...

My goal is to mimic the startup/shutdown of a real pin, and also provide a solid power foundation for homebrew machines. With so many people interested in homebrew, I see a lot of power wiring that makes the engineer in me cringe. I hope this will help more machines get built and be really solid machines.

1 week later
    #47 2 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I wrote a proper USB interface for mine, so the computer sees my design as a HID that can wake/shutdown the computer like a smart UPS does. An additional bonus is that since it's an actual USB device, I'm hoping to add an interface to MPF for it that reports voltages, etc...
    My goal is to mimic the startup/shutdown of a real pin, and also provide a solid power foundation for homebrew machines. With so many people interested in homebrew, I see a lot of power wiring that makes the engineer in me cringe. I hope this will help more machines get built and be really solid machines.

Oh man do I ever need this! Are you planning on having it work "turn key" with a specific kind of single board PC? I'm on top of most things now but the migration from "development setup" to "stand alone functioning pin setup" still eludes me. Thx, Paul

#48 2 years ago

Okay, not super familiar with the show, just know some characters go good, to bad, to good again. In Playmatics Fiesta there's a rollover button that changes the values of the pop bumpers, from 10 points to 1000 when lit. I would have a pop bumper that turns good and evil depending on what character mode you are running. Near the chaos of the pop bumper is a target to hit to defeat the bad pop bumper, hitting this target beats the mode and gets you some nice points. The trick/catch is there are lane rollover switches or targets near the pop bumper, and when it's lit as evil, every time it hits those targets or switches it decreases your bonus or some other bad penalty scoring event. So you're pop bumper is good, until it gets possessed. Then you have to shoot a shot near it to stop it. While it's lit any time the ball hits the pop bumper, it causes bad things to happen when it bounces off it and hits nearby targets/switches.

Does that make sense?

#49 2 years ago
    Quoted from ApplePie:

Oh man do I ever need this! Are you planning on having it work "turn key" with a specific kind of single board PC? I'm on top of most things now but the migration from "development setup" to "stand alone functioning pin setup" still eludes me. Thx, Paul

It should work with any PC that runs linux or windows.

Quoted from bobwiley:

Okay, not super familiar with the show, just know some characters go good, to bad, to good again. In Playmatics Fiesta there's a rollover button that changes the values of the pop bumpers, from 10 points to 1000 when lit. I would have a pop bumper that turns good and evil depending on what character mode you are running. Near the chaos of the pop bumper is a target to hit to defeat the bad pop bumper, hitting this target beats the mode and gets you some nice points. The trick/catch is there are lane rollover switches or targets near the pop bumper, and when it's lit as evil, every time it hits those targets or switches it decreases your bonus or some other bad penalty scoring event. So you're pop bumper is good, until it gets possessed. Then you have to shoot a shot near it to stop it. While it's lit any time the ball hits the pop bumper, it causes bad things to happen when it bounces off it and hits nearby targets/switches.
    Does that make sense?

Makes perfect sense! I will gladly take any suggestions. I definitely have some good/evil stuff planned, and deals you can make at the demon crossroads. I've also planned to allow you to recruit other hunters (which gives you gameplay bonuses) or also use artifacts like the Colt.

4 months later
    #50 2 years ago

#wolfmarsh any updates

bumpity bump?

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/supernatural-homebrew-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.