• Latest reply 9 years ago by sckurk
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC_0914.JPG
#1 9 years ago

Need some guidance on cleaning up my Superman pinball I've had for about 2 years.
How do i go about cleaning up the play field. Ive read all sorts of different methods but didn't know if there was something better for my machine because its older.
Cabinet has some scratches should i repaint the cabinet?
Also are LED bulbs an option?
Just want to make sure I'm doing the maintenance/cleanup to keep it going.

#2 9 years ago

Get over to the Texas Pinball Festival in March. Lot of great vendors, products and people that love pinball to help you out.

#3 9 years ago

Here's the cabinet we've been working on, almost finished -

DSC_0914.JPGDSC_0914.JPG

Had the stencils made by Twisted Pins, assume they can make them again for you, I've read that people are having trouble getting hold of them these days.

I used magic eraser and 91% alcohol to get a lot of dirt off the playfield. Hopefully going to work with someone local to try to restore the playfield as much as possible. Tumbling all parts and using new when necessary, new pop bumpers, etc. hoping to salvage the inserts.

#4 9 years ago

i also have a superman mid restore....i have heard that leds will not work because the lights never really go out they just dim which means the low voltaqe will still
light up leds

#5 9 years ago

Correct. LEDs will not work for this game. Maybe for GI but not for feature lamps.

I don't care for LEDs on older Classic games like this anyway. Old school lighting for old school game is best. =)

Dave (Doc)

Quoted from zerbam:

i also have a superman mid restore....i have heard that leds will not work because the lights never really go out they just dim which means the low voltaqe will still
light up leds

#6 9 years ago

Post some more pix of your project as it progresses...I would like to see how this comes out.. The cabinet looks awesome.
Mike

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from Maverick87:

Need some guidance on cleaning up my Superman pinball I've had for about 2 years.
How do i go about cleaning up the play field. Ive read all sorts of different methods but didn't know if there was something better for my machine because its older.
Cabinet has some scratches should i repaint the cabinet?
Also are LED bulbs an option?
Just want to make sure I'm doing the maintenance/cleanup to keep it going.

Only paint the cabinet if the current look really bugs you. Personally I prefer to spend my time on making a game play better. I do spend time cleaning the cabinet but my real effort is on the playfield. For my first pin I only took apart one small area at a time (like a slingshot). I cleaned the area with Novus 2 then waxed. After reassembly I moved onto the next area. Replace all rubbers if they are getting yellowed. New rubber can make a world of difference in how a machine plays.

For up keep just Novus and wax to clean and protect the playfield.
--
Jeremy

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from sckurk:

Here's the cabinet we've been working on, almost finished -

Had the stencils made by Twisted Pins, assume they can make them again for you, I've read that people are having trouble getting hold of them these days.
I used magic eraser and 91% alcohol to get a lot of dirt off the playfield. Hopefully going to work with someone local to try to restore the playfield as much as possible. Tumbling all parts and using new when necessary, new pop bumpers, etc. hoping to salvage the inserts.

DSC_0914.JPG 285 KB

That cabinet looks great. Where did you get the paint and what colors did you use?

#9 9 years ago

My drop targets are pretty warn is there anywhere to get new ones? Also I have a insert that seems to be fading.

#10 9 years ago

this site has superman target decals http://www.pinballrescue.net/Decals_Drop_Target.html

#11 9 years ago

this is the only site that I know of with new targets, but they are $29.99 each

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from Maverick87:

That cabinet looks great. Where did you get the paint and what colors did you use?

Used rustoleum oil based satin white in the quart can – thinned to about 20% with acetone, rustoleum 2X satin poppy red & rustoleum 2X oasis blue for the two top colors.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from sckurk:

Used rustoleum oil based satin white in the quart can – thinned to about 20% with acetone, rustoleum 2X satin poppy red & rustoleum 2X oasis blue for the two top colors.

What did you use to get the side panels off without hurting them? Also what's the best way to reinstall them.

#15 9 years ago

I am having new side panels made by a local metal shop, I don't think I could have removed them in a way that they could be salvaged, especially to match the newly painted cabinet and powder coated legs, coin door and lock down bar. Haven't got a price yet, but a friend had them done there before and said the cost was very reasonable.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/superman-pinball-restoration and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.