Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by ZEN
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

My Atari Superman pin was working great, until recently when the displays and PF lights just started flickering quickly. Now a game will not start, and "77777" occasionally appears in the displays. The coin door is also repeatedly tapping (it seems like the coil on the coin door is firing or being triggered repeatedly). It looks as if my game is having a seizure from the moment I flip the toggle. I've already looked under the entire PF and searched the coin door for a loose wire, short or loose connection, but haven't been successful in finding anything yet.

There is no "7" on my Switch and Solenoid schematics inside the game either.

Once in a while, it will reset and start to play, but then the game just resets sporadically, the mechanisms and flippers stop functioning (although entire PF still illuminated) and goes back into attract mode. If anybody can help, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

#2 9 years ago

Anyone?

#3 9 years ago

This may be too basic but I would start by checking the back box for a loose connection and even reseat all of the connectors, especially to your driver board. Since it's recommended to remove the quick connect clips on the bridge rectifiers and solder directly to them, I would reseat those too just to be safe. That at least gives you a few things to try before someone more knowledgeable can respond.

#4 9 years ago

Gradient, Thanks for the info. Already played with the backbox a little yesterday, but I'll try it one more time.

#5 9 years ago

Everything looked ok in backbox. Let me know if anybody has any other suggestions.

#6 9 years ago

Remove all kryptonite from proximity to the game.

#7 9 years ago

Already did remove it, and shaved my head like Lex thinking that might put some fire under Clark's ass. Didn't work. After the laughs, looking for some actual help or input if anyone has any.

#8 9 years ago

Don't know much about Atari games but if they are like Williams wpc, remove all fuses from main board and see if game starts normally. Reinsert fuses one by one to isolate problem circuit. If this doesn't work check boards for bad transistors/resistors. If this doesn't work could be a chip/rom problem.

#9 9 years ago

Also try "Dear Lloyd".

#10 9 years ago

sounds like your power supply is dropping below 5v, you should check that with a meter, if your 5v are low it will be funky like that... proper first step is check the voltages at the test points on the power supply, dc, and report back both the 7v and the 5v dc rails..

#11 9 years ago

Update - the coin door now is not making any tapping noise, and pin will not start a game at all. Game appears a little worse. It is just buzzing and buzzing with zeros in all the displays. I did remove the fuses from the main board as suggested, then put them back one by one. The buzzing is not there until putting the F5 fuse back in. According to the instruction manual, that is a 7A 250V fuse for I/O PCB audio amplifier, coin door lockout coil, coin counter power and unregulated logic supply.

#12 9 years ago

I second the 5V power supply being low. First it was marginally low and resetting constantly and now it's permanently low and not enough to get it to boot even momentarily.

#13 9 years ago

I am not too apt at board repair...unfortunately. I am going to test it as recommended by Zen. If this is the issue, is it repairable or would I have to buy / find a new power supply board? Thanks for all of your responses and chiming in thus far. It is appreciated.

#14 9 years ago

Well, its definitely repairable, there are three bridges that take power from the transformer, go through fuses and hit the power supply where it is further rectified. You could have failing componets on the ps which could be the regulator there. The bridges have spade connectors, so those need to removed and the wires soldered directly to them, but without current voltage readings, its hard to know what your problems may be. those atari supplies often have cracked solder joints on the pins as well, also typical with atari video game PS, test voltages and report back...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/superman-malfunction-in-need-of-assistance and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.