Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 115 posts
  • 77 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by TRAMD
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

7AC69C7F-11A3-466B-8E67-57AE24BD22D7 (resized).png
    155D6257-3A9C-469F-8517-B9D320D6AC4C (resized).jpeg
    2192C384-CC57-4855-8C7D-1B324C21E323.gif
    I Know It's Really MB (resized).jpg
    CA902631-3D2D-4E85-A4F0-260B05C97E7F (resized).jpeg
    more_michael.jpg
    superman3.gif
    hot.gif
    ED4FD2CC-0D46-4895-8C45-4CCFB712E11E (resized).jpeg
    31-years-after-it-hit-theater-kneel-before-5-things-you-may-not-know-about-superman-ii (resized).jpg
    ned-beatty-otis-gene-hackman-christopher-reeve-superman-1978 (resized).jpg
    Superman 78 - CABINET LEFT fb COMP (resized).jpg
    Superman 78 - Backglass B fb COMP (resized).jpg
    Superman 78 - Backglass A fb COMP (resized).jpg
    Superman 78 - Backbox fb COMP (resized).jpg
    SUPERMAN Game Mock Up FULL fb COMP (resized).jpg
    There are 115 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 4 years ago

I would be far more likely to buy Superman 78 than Beatlejuice. Beatlejuice does nothing for me.

I wish stern would retheme IMDN. I know it will never happen.

#52 4 years ago

I'm honestly not even really a fan of the Christopher Reeve Superman movies, but that machine looks stunning and it would have absolutely caught my attention. I still feel Beetlejuice would even more so, though, and I would definitely have that in my collection.

#53 4 years ago
    Quoted from SDTMinSTL:

It is The Slap Save Pinball Podcast's privilege to post these on behalf of our friend and podcast partner Christopher Franchi.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks for sharing!

I think this game would have been successful although not a huge hit. I just missed this movies growing up and agree that didn't agree well but that is the definitive Superman and that alone would be enough for me.

Beetlejuice on the other hand? What was Stern thinking. What a powerhouse that would have been. Not only does it have the nostalgia pull but just a great theme for pinball.

#54 4 years ago

Beetlejuice and Superman 78 are passes, but luckily instead, we got a barren pf, harsh playing BK number 3!!

#55 4 years ago
    Quoted from Capn12:

Beetlejuice and Superman 78 are passes, but luckily instead, we
    got a barren pf, harsh playing BK number 3!!

EXACTLY I know Richie deserved to make the game he wants but it doesn't even compare to either of those titles. Yawn

#56 4 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

EXACTLY I know Richie deserved to make the game he wants but it
    doesn't even compare to either of those titles. Yawn

Yeah, I was going to edit that a bit, because I also felt like Richie deserved to make it as well, and my BK mention sounded kinda harsh.

BUT, the decisions Stern makes, for what would 'sell' and what wouldn't, I can't really grasp.

#57 4 years ago

I love Franchi's Chalupas... The blues and reds rather than the purples show some awesome range! This guy sells machines!

#58 4 years ago

Amazing work as usual.

#59 4 years ago
    Quoted from SDTMinSTL:

It goes without saying I would have owned one... without a doubt.

Without a doubt? Simply based on theme and cabinet/backglass art?!

The artwork is very nice, but I'd personally much prefer to see Beetlejuice made. Superman 78 was a MEH movie in my book and the theme is equally so.

Thanks for another fine episode Jason, Matt and Christopher! I'm really enjoying the new direction that Slap Save has taken!

#60 4 years ago

meh, Superman must have been a unic. What would he have done if he got a massive boner while wearing those tight undies? It would definitely poke through if he was the man of steel, right? Probably why he never moved on Louis.

#61 4 years ago

This bums me out. I was saving up just in case STERN did this title. Maybe they'll grab the license one day and use this art.

#62 4 years ago

I'd be afraid to bring it home because I'd drive all the chicks wild with these 40+ year old themes.
    hot.gifhot.gif

#63 4 years ago
    Quoted from Guinnesstime:

I'd be afraid to bring it home because I'd drive all the chicks wild with these 40+ year old themes.

Well, a lot of us in the 40+ age group are ones with extra money lying around for NIB games, so finding themes that resonate is a good thing, even if they're ancient themes... Besides, Christopher Reeve's Superman is timeless.

#64 4 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I think Stern was wise to pass on this to be honest. I have a soft spot for these movies, watched them as a kid (I was born in '77) and Christopher Reeve is still the definitive Superman for me. But ... I don't think they've aged that well for modern audiences. It's a funny match with with what DC is doing now, the scenes are going to look dated a bit corny on an LCD, and don't scream "pinball moments" to me.
    Beetlejuice would be a much better game to hang rule sets and theme on if I was picking 'rejected Franchi games'.
    Ah well, thanks for sharing, still fun.

I agree, tried to go back and watch the original Superman and it's very slow paced compared to today's SH movies

#65 4 years ago

It's all about what age you were when this came out. I was freaking 10 and this movie blew me away. It has stayed with me since then and I'm a 51 year old grandpa! It definitely appeals to me and the experience of being in the movie theater in 1978 with my dad and brother and that awesome theme music and entire origin story. Hell I still
    Watch it twice a year and enjoy it. I'm an old fart what can I say.

#66 4 years ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I agree, tried to go back and watch the original Superman and
    it's very slow paced compared to today's SH movies

It was different time, that is for certain. Im 43, so that sets the context here, but growing up, that movie was worn out on our family VCR.

There are certain goldmine franchises that are timeless. It is the tough job of Sterns to make a good guess on which ones will resonate. Obviously, not everyone agrees that all of their titles are excellent themes. They just have to make sure enough (emphasis) are smitten. I certainly would have been.

My holy grail modern F1 machine is a casualty of this. Probably 10 people in the states would buy it. That is why it was Nascar here on the last attempt. (cat hacking sound effect)

#67 4 years ago

One more point. Just to address the groans about it being a 40 year old IP.

The modern themes that are hot aren't always the best long term. Today's "sure fire hit" is tomorrow's ratings bomb. (Walking Dead anyone?) That's fine for modern operators who can cash in quickly on its popularity but not always the best for us who want them to stand the test of time in a collection, at least in regards to the theme. I love the game play of TWD, but not many are buying that because of the theme anymore.

That being said, it can still work out for us collectors. Here's looking at you Shadow, Congo and Johnny Mnemonic.

#68 4 years ago
    Quoted from T-800:

Well, a lot of us in the 40+ age group are ones with extra money lying around for NIB games, so finding themes that resonate is a good thing, even if they're ancient themes... Besides, Christopher Reeve's Superman is timeless.

Yeah I know. I get it. I don't mind new themes though. Just bought Deadpool and didn't become an Iron Maiden fan until I got the pin (now I'd rather listen to them over Metallica). But maybe I'm a little sour after them ruining Ghostbusters for me.

I'd buy Superman '78 if it meant Transformers '84 was next.

Still I was 6 when Superman came out and back then it was good. Superman II was better (more action). Then Richard Pryor showed up.

It's a good movie but slow by today's standards.

Quoted from SDTMinSTL:

One more point. Just to address the groans about it being a 40 year old IP. The modern themes that are hot aren't always the best long term. Today's "sure fire hit" is tomorrow's ratings bomb. (Walking Dead anyone?) That's fine for modern operators who can cash in quickly on its popularity but not always the best for us who want them to stand the test of time in a collection, at least in regards to the theme. I love the game play of TWD, but not many are buying that because of the theme anymore. That being said, it can still work out for us collectors. Here's looking at you Shadow, Congo and Johnny Mnemonic.

I'm no TWD show fan. Pin is fantastic. If it had ANY non-disgusting art package, I'd still have it. But back then there were no "movie-like" long term shows on TV, so you really can't compare. TWD, Sons of Anarchy, Breaking Bad, etc.

I mean, we are still talking about Superman '78, and Jaws. And a reskinned BM66 and the Munsters (I still can't believe that one) and a new version of BK. Theme wise we're doing a deep dive in the past for sure. Oh and Wonka! Really crazy now that I think of it.

#69 4 years ago

Franchi makes weird business decisions.

#70 4 years ago
    Quoted from HighProtein:

Really?
    Beattlejuice would sell nearly as close as Ghostbusters?

Everyone I've talked to says they would jump on a Beetlejuice unseen. My wife and I were totally upset that it wasn't going to be a thing.

#71 4 years ago
    Quoted from javagrind888:

Everyone I've talked to says they would jump on a Beetlejuice
    unseen. My wife and I were totally upset that it wasn't going to be
    a thing.

This is called the filter bubble effect. The people you talk to, well you are probably talking to them because you like them and you are most likely similar, it is not indicative of what the general population would spend money on. Don't worry, it happens to everyone all the time about many different things. I can say I was most recently hit with hit during my enthusiasm for Wrestlemania to be released. Talking to all the people I know who like wrestling we were all super excited, turns out we aren't any sort of money spending majority.

#72 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tsskinne:

This is called the filter bubble effect. The people you talk to, well you are probably talking to them because you like them and you are most likely similar, it is not indicative of what the general population would spend money on.

That's not the case with Beetlejuice...it's remained a beloved classic for a long time. Prime Tim Burton, prime Danny Elfman, Michael Keaton created an incredible character that is weird and hilarious. Just last year, there was a Beetlejuice bar that opened in L.A. and it was PAAACKED. I've seen 20 year olds dress as Beetlejuice for Halloween. It's exactly like Ghostbusters...fantastic spooky-funny 80's movies that parents have been sharing with their kids. It's cross-generational.

BTW, if you've never seen these 2 intros to the animated series, they're awesome

#73 4 years ago

Right. It’s much better than today’s super hero movies.

#74 4 years ago

I'm on the horn trying to get Superman 3 made though.
    superman3.gifsuperman3.gif

Compared to today, Superman is slowwwwww.... My kids were bored to tears.

#76 4 years ago

I'm on the horn trying to get Superman 3 made though.
    [quoted image]
    Compared to today, Superman is slowwwwww.... My kids were bored
    to tears.

Slow because of dramatic elements, and tension building. Today's action films are stupidly fast with editing. Blink and you've missed three cuts. Attention spans don't exist anym.....

Sorry, had to flip over to a game I was playing, turn a tablet's audio down, and tell Alexa to stop playing a mix list.

#77 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

... much better than today’s super hero movies.

The movies of today have too much CGI and are too unrealistic. Plus tend to be more violent and loaded with bad language.

#78 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tommy-dog:

The movies of today have too much CGI and are too unrealistic.
    Plus tend to be more violent and loaded with bad
    language.

Unfortunately a fact of life. Resistance is futile...

Quoted from wesman:

Slow because of dramatic elements, and tension building. Today's
    action films are stupidly fast with editing. Blink and you've
    missed three cuts. Attention spans don't exist anym.....
    Sorry, had to flip over to a game I was playing, turn a
    tablet's
    audio down, and tell Alexa to stop playing a mix list.

New Superman movies are ABSOLUTELY AWFUL. And I'm talking CGI
    and excluding The Affleck Effect.

Marvel stuff is amazing though, specifically the first Avengers
    and Captain America Civil War. This scene is one of my faves. Not action related.

#79 4 years ago

If no one in house was passionate about Superman Stern should have looked for a outside contractor to design it. I think this theme would have been a home run with Sterns target market right now.

#80 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tommy-dog:

The movies of today have too much CGI and are too unrealistic.
    Plus tend to be more violent and loaded with bad language.

Yeah, Superman was so realistic LOL...Superman was cornball AF. I'm shocked anyone still has any nostalgia for it.

#81 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

That being said, I find it BONKERS that no one at Stern thinks Beetlejuice is worth doing. On theme alone, it would be their next Ghostbusters. Massive massive classic Tim Burton fan base out there...the film has amazing Danny Elfman music and tons of great quotes and weird creatures. Could be a perfect game and a big seller.

I agree.
    Beetlejuice is now a broadway show in NYC.
    If it can make it there it can make it anywhere.

#82 4 years ago

I don’t get the love for beetlejuice...
    It might be more like an American thing like WoZ and Willy wonka though as these are not big or well known in Europe at all...

#83 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bingovit:

I don’t get the love for beetlejuice...
    It might be more like an American thing like WoZ and Willy wonka though as these are not big or well known in Europe at all...

I don’t either. Some people just have blind love Michael Keaton, who’s best role was clearly in Gung Ho.

#84 4 years ago

I don’t either. Some people just have blind love Michael Keaton, who’s best role was clearly in Gung Ho.

If anyone wants more of Michael, they should take a look at...

more_michael.jpgmore_michael.jpg
    #85 4 years ago

Even though Tim Burton has slipped into mainstream obscurity, there was just NOTHING like Beetlejuice when it came out...from production design, to music, to tone...like Ghostbusters, it was a lightning in a bottle cast. No movie ever looked and sounded like Beetlejuice...that's why it still resonates today.

Also, Hot Topic probably wouldn't exist without Beetlejuice lol

#86 4 years ago

Beetlejuice Slot Machine is pretty badass too!!

#87 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

Franchi makes weird business decisions.

No he doesn't. He is a freelancer and want this work to be in his fully public portfolio. And just stands firm on this, if not compensated otherwise.

What is a bit problematic, though, is that this artwork is skinned over a templated that is unmistakenly a "Stern pinball machine". The hinch, the speaker panel and the overall profiles and dimensions. To me, Stern has a valid case regarding this. People will be led to believe this is comming from Stern.

#88 4 years ago
    Quoted from SDTMinSTL:

It is The Slap Save Pinball Podcast's privilege to post these on behalf of our friend and podcast partner Christopher Franchi.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

No Otis on the translite?

#89 4 years ago

I know I am in the minority here but I really like Man of Steel. I like the dark gritty feel of Snyder's superhero interpretation which aligns with recent Batman series and other comic book movies like Watchmen, all of which I enjoyed. I think that Russel Crow and Costner did a great job in their roles and think that Cavill is a great superman. I am in my 40's and grew up with the original Superman movies but haven't really had the desire to go back and watch them again.

Though candidly speaking I don't go into movies looking to crap all over them and pick them apart. I try to enjoy they for what they are and what they bring to the table. If something is really bad then so be it but life is too short to spend it being overly critical and negative about everything.

#90 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

I know I am in the minority here but I really like Man of Steel.

Me too. It’s the only Superman movie with some sense of realism (for that guy who thinks the original is realistic lol). It’s not mega hokey & I like the non-linear structure as it avoids the usual beats of a cliche origin story.

#91 4 years ago

Talk about old???Ha,Superman will always be Steve Reeves!!! R.I.P.

#92 4 years ago
    Quoted from soren:

No he doesn't. He is a freelancer and want this work to be in his fully public portfolio. And just stands firm on this, if not compensated otherwise.
    What is a bit problematic, though, is that this artwork is skinned over a templated that is unmistakenly a "Stern pinball machine". The hinch, the speaker panel and the overall profiles and dimensions. To me, Stern has a valid case regarding this. People will be led to believe this is comming from Stern.

One man’s “weird” is another man’s “problematic”.

#93 4 years ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon:

Talk about old???Ha,Superman will always be Steve Reeves!!! R.I.P.

You mean George Reeve?

#94 4 years ago
    Quoted from jellikit:

If anyone wants more of Michael, they should take a look at...[quoted image]

or Mr. Mom.

#95 4 years ago

I hope we aren't saying anything negative about Mr.Mom because them be fightin words. Classic, greatness. Not for a pin but a fantastic movie. Also for those not liking BK3 pull ur head out of ur asshole please. One of Sterns best. Ofcourse different from the old timer JJP world under glass crap but damn is it fun and challenging

#96 4 years ago

No Beetlejuice and No Superman?

Was really looking forward to both of them.

#97 4 years ago

Speaking of Superman, anyone seen the trailer for "Brightburn"?

#98 4 years ago

Superman 78 and Beetlejuice woiuld both have been good pins to make, Stern you fucked this up pretty good.

#99 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Superman 78 and Beetlejuice woiuld both have been good pins to make, Stern you fucked this up pretty good.

I agree with you on that one for sure!

#100 4 years ago

Superman would make an amazing pinball game but only with John Williams score, and that's the expensive problem. Same with Jaws if that ever gets made.

I've created my own Superman and Jaws pinball games which are very popular with virtual pinball players, mainly because I included all the amazing music.

There wasn't enough meat on the bone for me to create a Beetlejuice game though: watch the movie, he's hardly in it, so a pinball game would need new dialogue from a sound-a-like actor, which everyone would hate....Keaton is the only Beetlejuice. And again, you'd need the film score and some licenced songs to do it properly.

There are 115 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/superman-78-photos/page/2?hl=beergut666 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.