Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 264 posts
  • 97 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by ZMeny
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2019-04-05 at 10.34.01 AM (resized).png
    downloadfile (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    nicolas-cage-ghost-rider-voodoo (resized).jpg
    tdoslwh (resized).jpg
    la-et-hc-superman-screen-costume-nic-cage-video (resized).jpg
    supermanfleischerstudios.0207 (resized).jpg
    watch (resized).jpg
    Approved_by_the_Comics_Code_Authority (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    1cb29d7deb77a8c91e1e3b9fd0d59810 (resized).jpg
    1305_SBR_SLIDE1.jpg.CROP.original-original (resized).jpg
    Krypto (resized).jpg
    2d0f4bbc7149065acb9b119d17daf063 (resized).jpg
    SROS SFNE (resized).JPG
    images (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ForceFlow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#196 5 years ago

The thing about the Christopher Reeve movies (the first two films, anyway) is that nobody has done the Superman / Clark Kent character better. Grounded, wholesome, hopeful, and positive. The movies have their flaws, plot holes, and campiness, but the core character done by Christopher Reeve is the one who most people think of when they think of Superman.

The more modern superman characters done by Brandon Routh and Henry Cavill are dark, brooding, gritty, and deeply flawed characters. No thanks. That's not who that character is. Superman is not supposed to be a troubled and flawed character. He's the character who always does the right thing, is always happy to help, and always believes the best in people. He's a unique character in that way, and turning him into a flawed, gritty character like any other superhero character does a disservice to that character and changes the the core of who that the character is. This is why the Christopher Reeve Superman stands out from most of the other superhero characters.

Right now, Chris Evan's Captain America is a better Superman-like character since he embodies some of the same values as Christopher Reeve's Superman.

#200 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

At least we were spared the indignity of seeing Nic Cage try to do it.

Yeah, that probably would've been awful.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Routh was just a very bland Reeves clone and the movie was of a similar stock too. I haven't seen the new movies yet I doubt I'd like them.

Eh, maybe that was some of it. I just remember some of the unnecessary daytime soap opera drama.

#211 5 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Yeah I always wanted to see this documentary about that failed production. Safe to say casting Nicolas Cage as Superman was one of the worst ideas ever.

The talk Kevin Smith gave about it is interesting.

#221 5 years ago
    Quoted from Miguel351:

What's amazing to me is how staunch people seem to fight against a Superman that isn't Reeve. He was great and those original movies will always hold a great place in my childhood memories, but to be so closed minded as to not allow anyone else a shot at the blue tights is baffling to me.

It's not the actor per say, but the way the role is portrayed. So far, I think Reeve is the only one who nailed it and displayed all the best qualities of superman/clark kent.

I enjoyed Tom Welling's take on the role on Smallville, but he wasn't a fully-fledged Superman per-say. Also, I thought John Schneider was great playing Johnathan Kent.

11 months later
    #256 4 years ago
    Quoted from SDTMinSTL:

Um. You might want to listen to this regarding the possibility of Superman 78...
    https://slapsave.podbean.com/e/ep-24-showdown/
    The short version? It ain't happening.

Can you narrow it down to the relevant section of the podcast?

#261 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dexter:

I am very saddened to hear that Superman 78 will not be made (according to Franchi). Very Upsetting - had a saved spot for it and everything!

Unfortunate, but I can't say that I'm surprised.

If I ever get around to building a home brew game, Superman would be in the top 5 themes I'd like to try to tackle.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ForceFlow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/superman-1978-rumor?tu=ForceFlow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.