1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 264 posts
  • 97 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 69 days ago by ZMeny
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 62 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screen Shot 2019-04-05 at 10.34.01 AM (resized).png
    downloadfile (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    nicolas-cage-ghost-rider-voodoo (resized).jpg
    tdoslwh (resized).jpg
    la-et-hc-superman-screen-costume-nic-cage-video (resized).jpg
    supermanfleischerstudios.0207 (resized).jpg
    watch (resized).jpg
    Approved_by_the_Comics_Code_Authority (resized).png
    1cb29d7deb77a8c91e1e3b9fd0d59810 (resized).jpg
    1305_SBR_SLIDE1.jpg.CROP.original-original (resized).jpg
    Krypto (resized).jpg
    2d0f4bbc7149065acb9b119d17daf063 (resized).jpg
    SROS SFNE (resized).JPG
    images (resized).jpg

There are 264 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.
    #151 1 year ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

why is he fighting Sean Conery from Zardoz?
    superman 281

Beat me to it!

#152 1 year ago
    Quoted from KingPinGames:

I would like to see something more comic based. with rgb lighting now, you can easily add in the different colors of kryptonite and have really cool effects (green and weaker coils, etc).
    I am a huge Superman fan. here is a picture of a kiddie ride that i have. (fyi, this picture is just one pulled from the internet, but mine is the same ride)

CHRIS! Hope you are doing well!

#153 1 year ago
    Quoted from KingPinGames:

I would like to see something more comic based.

Yeah, I hope they don't base it on those terrible movies.

With fascism on the rise in the States, maybe basing it on "Superman: At Earth’s End" could be very timely.

Especially where Superman kills the 2 Hitlers!

superman-at-earths-end (resized).jpg

superman_kills_twin_colnes_of_hitler_by_maltian-d8b8lpz (resized).jpg

#154 1 year ago

Christopher Reeves IS Superman.

I don't know who these old men you guys keep posting pictures of are supposed to be. Superman's oddball uncle maybe?

Sorry comic book nerds, but Superman '78 clearly won in the battle of hearts and minds for superman fans.

#155 1 year ago
    Quoted from o-din:

All I know is these movies never even came close to the TV series.

That's right. The first season of The Adventures of Superman with George Reeves as Superman and Phyllis Coates (still alive) as Lois Lane.

#156 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Sorry comic book nerds, but Superman '78 clearly won in the battle of hearts and minds for superman fans.

You can't be an actual Superman fan unless you like the comics.

Otherwise you are just a bad movie fan.

$3.2 Million dollars for an original of this:

Superman-Action-Comics (resized).jpg

$1 for an original of this:

smvhs (resized).jpg

The fans have spoken

#157 1 year ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

The fans have spoken

Superman (1978) made $300 million in Carter years dollars, just in box office. Hundreds of millions since in TV and other media rights. Not even counting the money brought in by the inferior sequels. Far more people alive have seen those movies than have ever owned a Super Man Comic book. And movie Superman never got knocked out by an aging Muhammad Ali who couldn't even beat Leon Spinks.

Fans have spoken!

#158 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Superman (1978) made $300 million in Carter years dollars, just in box office. Hundreds of millions since in TV and other media rights. Not even counting the money brought in by the inferior sequels. Far more people have seen those movies than have ever owned a Super Man Comic book.
    Fans have spoken!

Not even close.

In the 1950s they printed 800,000 copies a year.

In the 1960s they printed over 1,000,000 Superman every year

In the 1970s they printed between 600,000 and 1,000,000 copies of Superman every year.

Even in the 1980s when the terrible movies had killed all interest in Superman, they were still printing between 300,000 and 500,000 copies each year.

They stopped publishing the circulation totals in the 90s, but they printed over 6,000,000 copies of The Death of Superman in 1992

#159 1 year ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Not even close.
    In the 1950s they printed 800,000 copies a year.
    In the 1960s they printed over 1,000,000 Superman every year
    In the 1970s they printed between 600,000 and 1,000,000 copies of Superman every year.

Most of the people who bought these are dead!

Clearly, when most people today think of Superman, they think of Chris Reeve. Tons of the comic books since have been drawn to resemble him, for Christ's sake, except for these weird grandpa Superman offshoots nobody gives a shit about that you keep posting pics of.

Christopher Reeves IS Superman - especially for the generation currently buying the majority of pinball machines! There is no question!!!

Quoted from vid1900:

$1 for an original of this:

The fans have spoken

Classic Vid logic.

So, I guess a Honus Wagner pinball machine would sell better than a Mike Trout game? I guess a Beatles "butcher" cover game would sell better than a Sgt. Pepper theme?

COME ON MAN!

#160 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Most of the people who bought these are dead!

How did they die exactly?

If the average lifespan in USA is 76 (or 80 in superior Canada healthcare system), then I can't figure out how MOST people who read comics through the 50s-90s are dead.

Unless you are implying that kids that read comics were poisoned by the ink or only retarded people like Superman and thus Darwin lent a hand in their demise?

And to everyone who keeps asking, yes, Lois Lane even continually dies in the Arabic language versions too:

main-qimg-6508dd7a3b57e441cb01e7d03f0c21e1-c (resized).jpg

#161 1 year ago

You keep harping on Lois, but hasn't Superman died like 5 times as well?

Who gives a shit anyway? I'm more interested in why what an ultra rare 90 year old comic book value's worth has to do with whether or not a 78 Superman pinball machine would sell!

super (resized).jpeg

#162 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

So, I guess a Honus Wagner pinball machine would sell better than a Mike Trout game?

I have no idea what that is a reference to, but I bet whatever it is, sucks.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I guess a Beatles "butcher" cover game would sell better than a Sgt. Pepper theme?

There you go with that boy-band stuff again.

The Beatles are crappy pop garbage and will put their name and logo on anything.

4ff737ba918a92b37e6604d33722e1fbe034f151 (resized).jpg

#163 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

hasn't Superman died like 5 times as well?

At least a dozen times.

He said that on the other side, there is only darkness, so you have that to look forward to.

#164 1 year ago

Somewhat off topic, but I've been watching some of the older Superman cartoons with my kids and really dig them:

Really like the art style, animations and sounds. And the episodes I've watched have been entertaining/hold up well (IMHO).

#165 1 year ago

The best Superman will always be Christopher Reeve he made the character, nobody else will ever revamp him in such a dramatic way no matter how many grey hairs they give him, no matter how outlandish the plot gets and no matter how he gets killed off...just give it up.

3a666a76909b512f64ee1d65582584c3 (resized).jpg

#166 1 year ago

lol

main-qimg-84d846e2a967b1db91d2d58c797ccaae (resized).png

oldsuperman900 (resized).jpg

Superman-Earths-End-Kamandi-DC-Comics-h1 (resized).jpg

funny-horse-superman (resized).jpg

#167 1 year ago
    Quoted from gmkalos:

The best Superman will always be Christopher Reeve

He was a handsome man, so I can see why you guys like him.

But his Superman movies were terrible.

So bad in fact, that no studio would touch another Superman movie for 2 decades.

#168 1 year ago
    Quoted from joetechbob:

Somewhat off topic, but I've been watching some of the older Superman cartoons with my kids and really dig them: » YouTube video
    Really like the art style, animations and sounds. And the episodes I've watched have been entertaining/hold up well (IMHO).

The interesting thing about those animated shorts is that they were done by the same people who did the Betty Boop and early Popeye shorts (not knocking either BTW).

#169 1 year ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

He was a handsome man, so I can see why you guys like him.
    But his Superman movies were terrible.
    So bad in fact, that no studio would touch another Superman movie for 2 decades.

They called it the curse! lol

It wasn't just that he brought a sincerity, kindness to the rough chiseled character that i had never seen before after growing up with Superfirends, watching old Fleischer reruns and even today after seeing almost everything Sups related he still stands out in my mind. And that's the mark of a great actor when he alone can transcend the shitty plot hes actually acting in!

#170 1 year ago

The #1 get her panties wet movie of all time...and even a Superman would shed a tear! lol

images (resized).jpg

#171 1 year ago

By far the best version of Superman....

SROS SFNE (resized).JPG

#172 1 year ago

Superman II is arguably my favorite movie of all time. It just has so many great scenes and lines, and I absolutely loved the ending. Hated the redone Donner version, though - horrible ending.

#173 1 year ago
    Quoted from Eryeal:

Superman II is arguably my favorite movie of all time. It just has so many great scenes and lines, and I absolutely loved the ending. Hated the redone Donner version, though - horrible ending.

I like that Gene Hackman stand in clumsily trying to hide the fact that Gene woudln't come back for additional filming after they canned Donner!

It's not a bad movie though. One of the first "blockbusters" I remember going to see with my folks as a kid.

#174 1 year ago

if you hit the Kryptonite target your flippers go weak and you have to hit it again to get the power back

#175 1 year ago

Stern throws out a widebody designed by Richie? Thats what this says to me.

#176 1 year ago

The Superman Logo itself is perfectly shaped for the lower playfield art down by the flippers. Better than Angus Youngs ugly mug! LOL

#177 1 year ago

Wonder Woman would be much sexier, and if they did retro 1979 score displays, look out!

2d0f4bbc7149065acb9b119d17daf063 (resized).jpg

Of course, hanging out with Superman gets her killed too.....

#178 1 year ago

Bizzaro mode makes everything backwards!

#179 1 year ago
    Quoted from Dexter:

there is a rumored SUPERMAN 1978 title from Stern and

Dear Stern, please, make new cabinets with SUPER strong corners....

#180 1 year ago

And Stern needs to include Superman's dog Krypto (aka Superdog), the last dog of Krypton.

He has all of Superman's powers, but better hearing and sense of smell.

It was implied in the 2000s that he could detect if Lois was menstruating, which, needless to say, is a valuable skill.

Krypto (resized).jpg

1305_SBR_SLIDE1.jpg.CROP.original-original (resized).jpg

#181 1 year ago
    Quoted from gmkalos:

The #1 get her panties wet movie of all time...and even a Superman would shed a tear! lol

And it involves time travel! A pretty good movie.

#182 1 year ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

And Stern needs to include Superman's dog Krypto (aka Superdog), the last dog of Krypton.
    He has all of Superman's powers, but better hearing and sense of smell.
    It was implied in the 2000s that he could detect if Lois was menstruating, which, needless to say, is a valuable skill.

Oh here we go! lol

1cb29d7deb77a8c91e1e3b9fd0d59810 (resized).jpg

#183 1 year ago
    Quoted from gmkalos:

Oh here we go! lol

Don't give DC any ideas.

After 80 years of writing the same story, they just might

#184 1 year ago

What's the opposite of Christopher Reeve?
    Christopher Walken

#185 1 year ago
    Quoted from joetechbob:

Somewhat off topic, but I've been watching some of the older Superman cartoons with my kids and really dig them: » YouTube video

Those were the Fleshier studios and they put a shit load of money into them. They were very well done.

#186 1 year ago

Christopher walken would make an excellent bizarro.

#187 1 year ago

The Superman fly away shot!

#188 1 year ago
    Quoted from EchoVictor:

By far the best version of Superman....

that would ve funny if its superman the ride!!
    rollercoaster tycoon vault superman the ride edition

come on stern stop the old geezer stuff make a lost world pin!!!

#189 1 year ago

While it originally was called Superman: Ride Of Steel, you are correct in that it's now just called Superman the Ride.

https://rcdb.com/628.htm

Still one of the best steel coasters on the planet.

Later,
    EV

#190 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Christopher Reeves IS Superman.
    I don't know who these old men you guys keep posting pictures of are supposed to be. Superman's oddball uncle maybe?

Those are the movies that stuck with me from childhood even more so than Star Wars.

Also in what twisted universe are those movies "terrible?" First two are classics.

Disclaimer : I didn't like the Donner cut of Superman 2.

#191 1 year ago

Stern, can we at least get a steel apron for the Man of Steel pin?

#192 1 year ago
    Quoted from EchoVictor:

While it originally was called Superman: Ride Of Steel, you are correct in that it's now just called Superman the Ride.
    https://rcdb.com/628.htm
    Still one of the best steel coasters on the planet.
    Later,
    EV

I thought it was Bizarro

#193 1 year ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Those were the Fleshier studios and they put a shit load of money into them. They were very well done.

Interesting backstory on that which I hadn't looked into before:

"Paramount was interested in financially exploiting the phenomenal popularity of the then-new Superman comic books, by producing a series of theatrical cartoons based upon the character. The Fleischers, looking for a way to reject the project without appearing uncooperative, agreed to do the series—but only at a (intentionally inflated) per-episode-budget number so exorbitantly high that Paramount would have to reject them, instead. They told Paramount that producing such a conceptually and technically complex series of cartoons would cost about $100,000 per short (in 1940s dollars, or $1,700,000 per short as of 2017); this was about four times the typical budget of a six-minute episode of the Fleischers' popular Popeye the Sailor cartoons of that period.[3] To the Fleischers' shock, instead of withdrawing its request, Paramount entered into negotiations with them, and got the per-episode budget lowered to $50,000.[4] Now the Fleischers were committed to a project they never wanted to do—with more financial and marketing support than they had ever received for the projects they had done."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman_(1940s_cartoons)

#194 1 year ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

That's right. The first season of The Adventures of Superman with George Reeves as Superman and Phyllis Coates (still alive) as Lois Lane.

Phyllis Coats also had a cameo in Superman (1978).

#195 1 year ago
    Quoted from gmkalos:

JJP would do Sups right.

Yeah but they wouldn't have use of the Superman logo, music or likenesses and there would be a space between the words Super and Man.

It would have Ned Beatty doing the callouts so, that's good.

#196 1 year ago

The thing about the Christopher Reeve movies (the first two films, anyway) is that nobody has done the Superman / Clark Kent character better. Grounded, wholesome, hopeful, and positive. The movies have their flaws, plot holes, and campiness, but the core character done by Christopher Reeve is the one who most people think of when they think of Superman.

The more modern superman characters done by Brandon Routh and Henry Cavill are dark, brooding, gritty, and deeply flawed characters. No thanks. That's not who that character is. Superman is not supposed to be a troubled and flawed character. He's the character who always does the right thing, is always happy to help, and always believes the best in people. He's a unique character in that way, and turning him into a flawed, gritty character like any other superhero character does a disservice to that character and changes the the core of who that the character is. This is why the Christopher Reeve Superman stands out from most of the other superhero characters.

Right now, Chris Evan's Captain America is a better Superman-like character since he embodies some of the same values as Christopher Reeve's Superman.

#197 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

The thing about the Christopher Reeve movies (the first two films, anyway) is that nobody has done the Superman / Clark Kent character better. Grounded, wholesome, hopeful, and positive. The movies have their flaws, plot holes, and campiness, but the core character done by Christopher Reeve is the one who most people think of when they think of Superman.
    The more modern superman characters done by Brandon Routh and Henry Cavill are dark, brooding, gritty, and deeply flawed characters. No thanks. That's not who that character is. Superman is not supposed to be a troubled and flawed character. He's the character who always does the right thing, is always happy to help, and always believes the best in people. He's a unique character in that way, and turning him into a flawed, gritty character like any other superhero character does a disservice to that character and changes the the core of who that the character is. This is why the Christopher Reeve Superman stands out from most of the other superhero characters.
    Right now, Chris Evan's Captain America is a better Superman-like character since he embodies some of the same values as Christopher Reeve's Superman.

Routh was just a very bland Reeves clone and the movie was of a similar stock too. I haven't seen the new movies yet I doubt I'd like them.

Christpher Reeves was just too damn good. Nobody else will ever come close.

At least we were spared the indignity of seeing Nic Cage try to do it.

#198 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

He's the character who always does the right thing, is always happy to help, and always believes the best in people.

You might have hit the nail directly on the head there.

All those ancient comic characters were developed at a time when comics were being banned in TX and Preachers were asking for the government to ban them completely.

The stories were written for children.

Approved_by_the_Comics_Code_Authority (resized).png
    So comics were basically censored by the CCA guidelines:

----------

Crimes shall never be presented in such a way as to create sympathy for the criminal, to promote distrust of the forces of law and justice, or to inspire others with a desire to imitate criminals.

If crime is depicted it shall be as a sordid and unpleasant activity.

Policemen, judges, government officials, and respected institutions shall never be presented in such a way as to create disrespect for established authority.

Criminals shall not be presented so as to be rendered glamorous or to occupy a position which creates a desire for emulation.

In every instance good shall triumph over evil and the criminal punished for his misdeeds.

Scenes of excessive violence shall be prohibited. Scenes of brutal torture, excessive and unnecessary knife and gunplay, physical agony, gory and gruesome crime shall be eliminated.

No comic magazine shall use the words "horror" or "terror" in its title.

All scenes of horror, excessive bloodshed, gory or gruesome crimes, depravity, lust, sadism, masochism shall not be permitted.

All lurid, unsavory, gruesome illustrations shall be eliminated.

Inclusion of stories dealing with evil shall be used or shall be published only where the intent is to illustrate a moral issue and in no case shall evil be presented alluringly, nor so as to injure the sensibilities of the reader.

Scenes dealing with, or instruments associated with walking dead, torture, vampires and vampirism, ghouls, cannibalism, and werewolfism are prohibited.

Profanity, obscenity, smut, vulgarity, or words or symbols which have acquired undesirable meanings are forbidden.

Nudity in any form is prohibited, as is indecent or undue exposure.

Suggestive and salacious illustration or suggestive posture is unacceptable.

Females shall be drawn realistically without exaggeration of any physical qualities.

Illicit sex relations are neither to be hinted at nor portrayed. Rape scenes as well as sexual abnormalities are unacceptable.

Seduction and rape shall never be shown or suggested.

Sex perversion or any inference to same is strictly forbidden.

Nudity with meretricious purpose and salacious postures shall not be permitted in the advertising of any product; clothed figures shall never be presented in such a way as to be offensive or contrary to good taste or morals.

============

So that's why The Watchmen was such a great Superhero Movie. All of the characters were developed outside of the CCA from the start.

They characters never started as wholesome white bread, only to become stale, and then moldy over time.

The stories were never written to entertain children.

watch (resized).jpg

#199 1 year ago
    Quoted from Methos:

I would argue that the Fleshier Superman shorts are the finest cartoons ever made. Period. Absolutely gorgeous animation & production value. Since they are in the public domain now, I'm not sure if any studio would take the time/money to remaster them, but they certainly deserve it.

The Mad Scientist episode really stands out for me. Especially when Superman pulls down the walls of Scientist's lab & twists the Death Ray into a knot. You can just tell they spent a fortune making them. Awesome stuff.

supermanfleischerstudios.0207 (resized).jpg

Yes stern please make a Superman pin

#200 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

At least we were spared the indignity of seeing Nic Cage try to do it.

Yeah, that probably would've been awful.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Routh was just a very bland Reeves clone and the movie was of a similar stock too. I haven't seen the new movies yet I doubt I'd like them.

Eh, maybe that was some of it. I just remember some of the unnecessary daytime soap opera drama.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 15.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 7.00
    Electronics
    APB Enterprises
    $ 18.95
    $ 75.00
    Playfield - Other
    Great American Pinball
    $ 94.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 87.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    $ 24.50
    $ 70.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Pimp
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 164.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 38.75
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 9.95
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 799.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 60.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    There are 264 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside