Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

droptargetcontacts[1] (resized).jpg

#1 5 years ago

It seems there are two schools of thought for using lubricants:

1. NEVER use lube on anything because it will gum up and cause problems
2. Superlube can and should be used on EM stepper contacts to keep them shiny

I have been battling with wiper contacts on the drop targets on a Williams Flash. Once they stop registering reliably, I will disassemble them and gently clean both the horseshoe contacts and the wiper boards to a fine shine. Within 3 months of casual play (maybe a few games a day), the wiper boards are dirty again.

The question here: Would a VERY thin layer of Superlube help keep the boards cleaner for longer, or am I looking at disaster? The wiper boards with contacts sliding on them seem completely analogous to stepper contacts.

droptargetcontacts[1] (resized).jpgdroptargetcontacts[1] (resized).jpg
#2 5 years ago

I feel like the super lube lessens conductivity in exchange for a lessening in friction. If you drops are still dropping fine (and not sticking) then I don't think it'll help. Worth a shot though.

Are you cleaning the horseshoes as well as the boards? Removing polish residue afterwards? Seems like it shouldn't get dirty so fast.

#4 5 years ago

The original Williams boards are bare copper. If you clean the copper foil, a few weeks later it all tarnishes again and needs cleaning again. The reproduction drop target boards are tinned copper so that tarnishing won't happen. Do yourself a favor and buy the new reproduction boards.

#5 5 years ago

I use a thin layer of dielectric grease. Works great. Available at your local autoparts store.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carmichael, CA
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 150.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop
Displays

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/superlube-for-wiper-contacts-on-williams-drop-targets and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.