(Topic ID: 69527)

SuperGroups, not Super Bands!

By MapleSyrup

10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

I clicked on the Super Bands discussion thinking it was a discussion about what musical groups would merit a pinball theme. Obviously, I am an idiot. It was just a discussion about rubber. Then I thought, hey maybe that's a cool discussion though. I saw a discussion the other day about "Queen". I think they would make an excellent pin. What bands would make an excellent pin theme? I think they need widespread appeal. Longevity (10 plus years?? 20??). There should also be something about the group that makes the translation to a pin theme makes sense. Neil Young is an amazing artist with an incredible career, and iconic music... But a pin makes no sense. Here are my suggestions...

Rush. No brainer. So many interesting themes to choose from. Lots of conceptual material.

Foo Fighters. I love Metallica, but I think the Foos have more Universal appeal. They also have a sense of humour which would translate well.

Beastie Boys. There are a million discussions to be had about hip hop, and why it should be Tribe, or Eminem, or Snoop etc. I just think the Beastie's have the universal appeal. The music would be fun, and a music biz themed pin would be cool.

Pink Floyd. I'm personally not a big fan, but I think a Wall themed machine would be pretty bad ass.

I suppose with a lot of iconic bands they simply would never grant the license. I'm thinking The Beatles, Led Zepplin, etc.

If you could have any music themed pin... Who would it be? Not just your favourite band, but a group that you think could be a viable pin theme and why.

#2 10 years ago

The Beatles and Led Zeppelin are probably the only two that would make any sense. U2 would probably sell well enough, but their most interesting time to capture for pinball would have been in the early '90s.

None of them would really be happening though. The Beatles and Led Zeppelin are licenses that just don't get lent out often, and when they do, there's some serious restrictions on what you can do with the material. U2 doesn't license their material much either, and it doesn't seem like the type of project that would interest them.

#3 10 years ago

will someone tell MapleSyrup the news ...

#4 10 years ago
    Quoted from SilverBallz:

will someone tell MapleSyrup the news ...

Roll over Beethoven?? Not a bad idea actually. Zombie versions of the classical masters battling for harmonic supremacy... Maybe not.

8 years later
    #5 2 years ago

This post was pretty spot on eight years ago. Talk about foreshadowing.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/supergroups-not-super-bands and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.