Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by swampfire
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

I just bought 10 of these 1.5Fd, 5.5V supercaps for a shipped cost of about $4 each.

http://www.newark.com/panasonic-electronic-components/eec-s5r5h155/capacitor-double-layer-1-5f-5/dp/96K9373

I wonder if anybody has done the math on a) how long it takes a supercap to fully charge, and b) how many days (on standby) before it drops below the level needed to preserve SRAM.

Looking forward to comments from my favorite tech guys!

#2 8 years ago

It realy depends on what type of system you try using them on
    say system 6-7 need more than one becouse they are inneficient, a 4fd on a sys 11 will give you 6-9 months backup
    8fd on a sys 7 boardset will give you 2-3 months
    a 1.5 on a bally -35 will give you 6 months, or over a year with a 4fd charge time varies leave the machine on say 2 hours youll be pretty much loaded

#3 8 years ago

I'm surprised I don't see more people using these. My games are on at least 2 hours a month, unless I have them in storage. I didn't even see a "supercap" thread, hence this one.

Hellfire, I thought about going 4Fd after reading one of your other posts, but they're about $12 each. I can also stack the 1.5Fd caps if I need to.

#4 8 years ago

Every IC is going to be different. I want to say i noticed that PCD5101P uses way less current than some of the other 5101 types. PCD5101P would last a year or more in theory if im doing the math right.

Memory caps are a good option to get the batteries off of the board. I use CR2032 lithium in a holder only because it is cheaper. In a Bally a cr2032 should last like 10 years and i can do it for under a buck.

#5 8 years ago

Yes, CR2032 is what I should have done. I sometimes put a game in storage for 6-12 months. It's not a huge deal to do a Factory Reset and start over when it comes back into rotation, but doing nothing is always preferred.

#6 8 years ago

My NGG came with a 1F one from previous owner. It only lasted 8-10 days at a time.. Garbage, looks like it was undersized.

Just replaced with NVRAM instead, prefer that approach

#7 8 years ago

If you want help doing the actual calculation about how long it would last, I can teach you how to do it, just PM me.

You only need to take one measurement for the calc.

#8 8 years ago

I put a 1.5F in Williams system 11b and a gottlieb system 80. So far so good. I never monitored to see how long settlng last. I usually turn games on for an hour or so during the week.
    Yeah it is pain I guess to have to remember to turn on all the time but a really good cheap option to having no batteries on the board at all.

Ed at GPE (great plains electronics) has them. Next time your placing an order pick up a couple they are worth it.

#9 8 years ago

I just did some math on my GamePlan MPU-2, which WolfMarsh will check for me. I think the supercap stores about 0.5mWh, and the game consumes less than 0.00025mW in standby. That means it should last about 2000 hours, or about 3 months. I don't know the minimum operating voltage for the 6810 RAM (128 bytes!!) is. I would guess about 2.5V? So the settings would last about 6 weeks.

The charging current (while the game is on) is 1.25 mA, which means the supercap is fully charged in less than an hour.

#10 8 years ago

See this thread for more info: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/memory-capacitor-fans

I get 10-14 days on System 6 with a 1.5F cap.

I found you needed 4F on a system 11 to get similar results.

I even have a 4F in a WPC era game (I500 and T2). Settings and scores are saved for over 2 weeks but the clock runs slow. WPC draws much more "off" current due to the ASIC keeping the time.

Some people suggested using a resistor to limit the current when charging a totally dead cap this large. On most of my games, I just jumpered the blocking diode with wire, I have not experienced any negative effects. On my I500 I jumpered the diode with a 270 ohm resistor, it seems to work just fine. I have my machines on for a couple hours per week (at least) so this solution works great for me.

I made some rough current draw measurements on WPC-S in the thread linked above. Also posted some low voltages I tested where the RAM still held.

#11 8 years ago

Here's what I use:
    DMD: STK12C68-W45 autostore nvSRAM
    System 11: DS1220AB-150
    1985 and older: memory capacitor

I don't care about the clock on my DMDs; the only downside is that Midnight Madness could come at any time. I grabbed N=10 of the STK12C68 on Alibaba for about $6 each (many years ago). No issues so far.

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

Every IC is going to be different. I want to say i noticed that PCD5101P uses way less current than some of the other 5101 types. PCD5101P would last a year or more in theory if im doing the math right..

I got just over a year with my Xenon with with one of these.
    Actual span varies widely depending on specific machine and 5101 memory used.

#13 8 years ago

Crap. I don't know what's up, but my (Game Plan) MPU-2 settings aren't lasting 2 days, much less 6 weeks. I will need to study this.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/supercap-ultracap-discussion-thread and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.