Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by desertT1
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 23 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
DSCF2011_(resized).JPG
DSCF2014_(resized).JPG
DSCF2009_(resized).JPG
DSCF2008_(resized).JPG
DSCF2007_(resized).JPG
DSCF2010_(resized).JPG
IMG_20160412_170041750(1)_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160412_023239_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160412_023244_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160412_023145_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160412_023159_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160412_023156_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160412_023136_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160412_023133_(resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

So, as you may already know, I'm pretty f***'n keen on trying all new types of rings and bands for games.
I like to make my games on route look and play as unique and distinct.
I've tested Saturns (some still survive on route actually hahaha but like to break quickly on average)
I've tested Superband flipper rings (good on Sterns and relatively modern games with strong flipper)
I've tested Superband post rubbers (they last forever it seems and very solid)
I've tested Titan rings (very good bounce and wild variety of color selections)
I've tested Pinball Center clear rings (look and play good, eventually break but takes a good amount of play)

Superband is majority known for their flipper rings and people have asked again and again,
if/when they'll make rings for games as well and they do now.

They are for sale here...
http://cointaker.com/t/rubber-rings-by-superbands

The prices ranges go from sorta ok to off the chain!
For instance a set of 3" sling shot rings is $7.50!
http://cointaker.com/products/copy-of-rubber-ring-3-1-2-id

I ordered misc sizes that I know I'd use sooner than later.
Some of the smaller sizes aren't completely round but are kind of bell shaped.
The sizes like 3" aren't completely rounded as they have a line in them and minor hole indentations.

#2 3 years ago

For starters I put a set of 3" rings on a Stern Indiana Jones...
These are the bottom side with the minor hole indentations that I referred about in the first post...
IMG_20160412_023029_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160412_023035_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160412_023133_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160412_023136_(resized).jpg
These are the groove in the bottom of the rings...
IMG_20160412_023156_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160412_023159_(resized).jpg
These are the top side that is rounded and smooth...
IMG_20160412_023145_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160412_023239_(resized).jpg

#3 3 years ago

The 3" sling shot rings fit ok on STERN INDY.
Just a little loose but not real loose.
I'll do a video eventually of them in action.

#4 3 years ago

Looking forward to your review after they get some games on them.

#5 3 years ago

I use them on all my games and they are far superior to the Titan competition ones which break down much quicker then the original super bands ones; they are not cheap but are far superior to the Titan ones

#6 3 years ago

I have Super-Band rings on my Metallica. I have had the slings and flipper bands on pretty much since I got it out of the box and they are still fine showing no wear and clean up easy. I have had the rest of the rings on it since last Fall before I took it to Expo. They clean up super easy and have no signs of any wear. 1 in particular up by the pops, that was originally an inch size ring. I have changed that particular one at least 2 or 3 times before I changed to the Super-Rings...as it would be worn through pretty much after every show I had taken it to. IMG_20160412_170041750(1)_(resized).jpg Since I changed to the Super-Rings, I did go up to a 11/4 size ring and it has been to 3 shows and had over 2000 plays on it, and this ring is still perfect, shows no signs of wear and cleans up easy and is ready to go again.
I do have other Super-Rings on several of my other games, same results...I have no issues with any of the Super-Band products.

Phoebe

#7 3 years ago

yes i have them on my avatar le, color blue bought them from mellisa at coin taker, they have held up great, defiantly a different feel at first but they seem to break in.all and all a great product.

#8 3 years ago

F*$#k that; recockulus

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

I use them on all my games and they are far superior to the Titan competition ones which break down much quicker then the original super bands ones; they are not cheap but are far superior to the Titan ones

Post some photos?

IMG_20160412_023035_(resized).jpg

IMG_20160412_023029_(resized).jpg

IMG_20160412_023046_(resized).jpg

IMG_20160412_023103_(resized).jpg

1 month later
#10 3 years ago

I have many orders ready to send, and now that I've built them up in the various shopping carts, I have to ask about these Super Band rings.

I have Silicone rings to be ordered from Titan for single post applications (5/16" and under).
I have kicker and flipper rubber rings from Marco and Pinball Life, respectively.
I have Super Band Post sleeves from Pinball Life.

However, I'm a bit gunshy on my Super Band ring order. These are for larger rings that go around multiple posts, so 7/16" to 3".

Do I need to go up in sizing for multiple post applications? Will these be as tough to install as the flippers were? Is there a concern of pulling on post screws and jacking my playfield?

My goal is always to make the games more difficult. I think the SB post sleeves increase difficulty, but I'm worried about the rings. These larger rings generally end up near pops and then down at the top of the outlanes. Any comments on how these affect gameplay?

Any opinion or thought would be Super helpful.

#11 3 years ago

Don't have an answer CaryCarmichael, but bumping in hopes someone can chime in.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from CaryCarmichael:

I have many orders ready to send, and now that I've built them up in the various shopping carts, I have to ask about these Super Band rings.
I have Silicone rings to be ordered from Titan for single post applications (5/16" and under).
I have kicker and flipper rubber rings from Marco and Pinball Life, respectively.
I have Super Band Post sleeves from Pinball Life.
However, I'm a bit gunshy on my Super Band ring order. These are for larger rings that go around multiple posts, so 7/16" to 3".
Do I need to go up in sizing for multiple post applications? Will these be as tough to install as the flippers were? Is there a concern of pulling on post screws and jacking my playfield?
My goal is always to make the games more difficult. I think the SB post sleeves increase difficulty, but I'm worried about the rings. These larger rings generally end up near pops and then down at the top of the outlanes. Any comments on how these affect gameplay?
Any opinion or thought would be Super helpful.

These Ring style rings are not as tight/solid as the flipper rings in the 2.5" in up sizes.
They softer in nature and way more stretchy in nature (fair stretch overall).
The smaller rings do run very tight though 2" and down are in a different bell shape size and are quite solid in nature (more like the flipper bands).

I'll do my best to update/keep an eye on this thread.
I've enjoyed how they play so far and will update it as time goes on.
I can't really explain the dynamics of how each size plays, just try and see.
I'm almost at the point of having every type of ring maker in my games at times,
Titan, Super Band and the classic Pinball Center and on occasion Pinball life flipper rings.

#13 3 years ago

My personal experience and opinion is that the Titan post sleeves are most accurate to original post rubber sleeves.

I WILL NEVER USE SUPER-BANDS on posts. If you're local to me, come pick up the bag of lightly used ones in assorted colors that I've removed from all my games. Free! Don't want them.

#14 3 years ago

Correction, they are 3.5" rings on INDY stern slingshots...

DSCF2010_(resized).JPG

DSCF2007_(resized).JPG

DSCF2008_(resized).JPG

DSCF2009_(resized).JPG

DSCF2014_(resized).JPG

#15 3 years ago

Holy shit. I thought Titans were a bit overpriced. way, way too expensive.

#16 3 years ago

Uploading youtube video of footage with these in action!

It's currently processing as of 6/4/2016 midnight...

(side note: I forgot to put 2 more new balls in the game,
so the EPIC 8 ball multi-ball is a modest 6...)

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein: (side note: I forgot to put 2 more new balls in the game,
so the EPIC 8 ball multi-ball is a modest 6...)

First time I have heard 6 ball multiball be modest. When they drop down and start rolling toward you, aiming for shots goes out the window

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from bstyles:

I WILL NEVER USE SUPER-BANDS on posts.

I have to ask why, because I do favor them at this point.

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from Captive_Ball:

First time I have heard 6 ball multiball be modest. When they drop down and start rolling toward you, aiming for shots goes out the window

Yeah, I know, modest is 4 ball haha, it's my way of covering up what I forgot 2 balls in it haha!

#20 3 years ago

I'll do my best to do more videos about different types of rings in action and different setups with different types of rings in conjunction.
I've basically used every type of ring at this rate in the past few years but mostly these games live on route in the dark.
So when I shop out a customers game I'll do my best to document how bands look and play on them.
I've got a GODZILLA with misc. types of rings on it and the location is well lit so that will be coming up eventually.

#21 3 years ago

Related to this thread mostly, on the right side I used 2 superband gottlieb size style flipper rings on the posts.

These...
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/39-10802-24

DSCF2011_(resized).JPG

#22 3 years ago

Very interesting use of flipper bands....red was a nice touch...matches the playfield art pretty well.

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

Holy shit. I thought Titans were a bit overpriced. way, way too expensive.

All Super-Bands products are made in the United States, not China (if that matters to anyone any more). These are individually-cast polyurethane rings. The slingshot rings are molded one at a time, not batch-injected in Asia. The initial cure time is one hour per part so 1 ring comes out of a mold once per hour, before an 18-hour post-cure. The thermoset polyurethane material is tougher than most other elastomers so that is why it's used in countless tough industrial applications. It is much more labor-intensive to produce than injection-molded materials. Some feel it's worth it, others don't.

Check out the post sleeves or mini posts. Great colors, longevity, and performance and more similar to other materials price-wise.

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from Captive_Ball:

Very interesting use of flipper bands....red was a nice touch...matches the playfield art pretty well.

Thanks, yep it sure is a unique application of them.
I bought a lot of them at SFGE last year and use them in misc. applications in games.
They to me are too narrow for the typical Gottlieb style flippers that they fit on.
I do use them on misc. flipper applications like 3rd flippers at times.
They do me are a good deal for special applications on rings like INDY stern in that area and misc. 3rd flippers in games.

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from DrJoe:

All Super-Bands products are made in the United States, not China (if that matters to anyone any more). These are individually-cast polyurethane rings. The slingshot rings are molded one at a time, not batch-injected in Asia. The initial cure time is one hour per part so 1 ring comes out of a mold once per hour, before an 18-hour post-cure. The thermoset polyurethane material is tougher than most other elastomers so that is why it's used in countless tough industrial applications. It is much more labor-intensive to produce than injection-molded materials. Some feel it's worth it, others don't.
Check out the post sleeves or mini posts. Great colors, longevity, and performance and more similar to other materials price-wise.

They sure are a unique product.
I use the mini-posts near active areas like pop bumpers.
My Godzilla is a hybrid half Titan / half Super Bands and plays interestingly.
I'll be doing a photo documentation and video about it eventually.

#26 3 years ago

Thanks for the explanation, but to the average person they are too expensive. Can someone explain the shaping of these? Does it affect gameplay and why are they shaped that way? Do they got on any posts or just certain ones?

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

Thanks for the explanation, but to the average person they are too expensive. Can someone explain the shaping of these? Does it affect gameplay and why are they shaped that way? Do they got on any posts or just certain ones?

To the average person, pinball machines are too expensive.

The mini posts are shaped the way they are for added durability (those mini post nubs in rubber fail very quick on a game like Star Trek (Stern) by the upper ramp). They work as they should (rebound the ball off the metal post), look better than rubber, and last considerably longer.

The post sleeves (as used in most 90's games) are made to Williams' specs dimensionally. They are available in 9 colors and look better and last longer than the standard rubber options.

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from CaryCarmichael:

I have to ask why, because I do favor them at this point.

They don't play the same. If you ever want to make your own decision, put a set of Super-Bands post sleeves in Johnny Mnemonic and play a few games. Simply unplayable.

Same in other WMS games. Titan is closest to original rubber sleeve posts. This is my opinion.

#29 3 years ago

I bought a set of flipper bands and wound up removing them in favor of the rubber ones.

They might last longer, but they don't feel right and you don't get anywhere near the "english" that a fresh rubber flipper band gives you. I'll change the rubber ones more often instead.

#30 3 years ago

So, we replaced the rings on BSD tonight. Before doing this, I really liked how it played - mostly Titans, with some white rubbers in the back areas and SB post sleeves.

To start, we only implemented the SB rings in the longer ring applications, 3/4"+, where the Titans were breaking down fastest.

Up near the pops is a 3", and the ball seems to bounce off that ring with increased force. The two rings above the outlanes are causing a lot of 'auto bouncing' between the outlane Titan post and the SB ring. I'll need more than the 2 games on it to know how I really feel.

As installing went, these are pretty damn taught. I have a photo of the 3", and at the very least I think I should have gone a bit larger than spec'd on this one. It was so tight I took a break and called my buddies over to see it. They had the worry like I did that it would pull the posts in, it was that tight. I made the call to leave it, because screw it, it's the size it says to use, see how it plays.

image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg

I sure hope they last, it is a ways down into the game to get to these larger ring applications.

#31 3 years ago

A final note about pulling the Titans in favor of these..

I noticed that the all but 1 of the Titans in this larger ring application were getting warped and worn down faster - that 1 ring was larger than was spec'd. I didn't do the last partial replacement of rings, so that was a shocker to me. But more shocked that the ring looked just fine, almost new. None of the warping or wear that the others had. It also seemed at first to be a regular rubber because it produced a nice 'edge'.

I was moving away from the Titans because of the warping, the wear, and it would stretch them so thin that around a post it would leave no bulge, so the plastic post was much more exposed.

The larger than spec'd Titan really looked good.

Oh, totally over Titan flippers, on regular rubber for sure. The Titans warp and leave a thin spot on the tip, I just don't like it.

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from Tickerguy:

I bought a set of flipper bands and wound up removing them in favor of the rubber ones.
They might last longer, but they don't feel right and you don't get anywhere near the "english" that a fresh rubber flipper band gives you. I'll change the rubber ones more often instead.

This thread is about Post Rings not Flipper Bands.

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from bstyles:

They don't play the same. If you ever want to make your own decision, put a set of Super-Bands post sleeves in Johnny Mnemonic and play a few games. Simply unplayable.
Same in other WMS games. Titan is closest to original rubber sleeve posts. This is my opinion.

Yeah, polyurethane transfers energy to the posts like mad
(like all that aftermarket automotive stuff does too).
Regular Rubber and Titans give abundant bounce.
Cliffy and Super-Band posts are more similar to each other in energy transfer to posts.

#34 3 years ago

Are these available as a clear option? I'm not seeing it in the dropdown on Cointaker.

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Are these available as a clear option? I'm not seeing it in the dropdown on Cointaker.

At the moment, to my current knowledge, it's only solid colors available.

#36 3 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

At the moment, to my current knowledge, it's only solid colors available.

OK, I was on the fence about ordering from Titan because of sling rings not lasting long. On route machines I want durability as well as presentation. I was going to do a bunch of clear because I like them letting GI light through. I guess we will see what the future brings.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 94.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Boards
PCB Emporium
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lynnwood, WA
$ 16.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside