6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by db666
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4608 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dangerterror.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

The LOTR machine I operate started doing something weird: The main symptom is that all sound dies and then magically returns. I can go into the sound test and everything's fine when the sound is working, which is for a few minutes at startup. The weirdest thing is that occasionally the machine -- in attract mode -- emits a screeching 2-3 seconds of max-volume whistle, like it's the end of the day at an olde tymey factory. It's so bad I disconnected the speakers in order to continue operating it, as it was terrifying players throughout the joint. Here's what I know:

*Reseating the J16 to CN2 didn't solve the problem. Although it brings the sound back temporarily by rebooting the CPU.
    *Reseating U7 didn't solve the problem. Running snd ROM u7.101.
    *I didn't have time to take voltages yet, that's next.

Any ideas? Seems like a board issue, but I guess I could try replacing the sound ROM.

Bonus: CPU/Sound Board 520-5300-00 Rev A (mine has a blue dot) is unavailable everywhere, so that's concerning. Anyone know where I can get a spare Whitestar CPU to toss in here if I need to send this out for repair?

IMG_4608 (resized).JPGIMG_4608 (resized).JPG

#3 6 years ago

The DAC as in a digital to analog converter chip? Interesting... I can check that out. Is it surface mounted or through hole?

#6 6 years ago

How did you get your new board?

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from Borygard:

It's certainly repairable.
    I also have replacements. Email me.
    --
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics
    http://LockWhenLit.com
    Quality Board Work - In Home Service
    borygard at gmail dot com

Done. Thanks!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dangerterror.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/super-weird-lotr-sound-issue?tu=dangerterror and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.